Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luxury watch enthusiasts....

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Why does anyone need a watch when you can check the time on your mobile phone? :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why does anyone need a watch when you can check the time on your mobile phone? :shrug:
From a convenience point of view, it's a lot easier and quicker to look at your wrist than to take a phone out of your pocket, press a button and put it back. Then there's the fact that it's a piece of jewelry, and some people like wearing some jewelry.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton

That's exactly the reason I got into watches in the first place. I got sick of always being 'connected' and having to use my phone every time I wanted to know the time. I also can't look at my phone when I'm with clients, but need to keep an eye on the time. It works as a fancy looking accessory too. Plenty of reasons.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
From a convenience point of view, it's a lot easier and quicker to look at your wrist than to take a phone out of your pocket, press a button and put it back. Then there's the fact that it's a piece of jewelry, and some people like wearing some jewelry.

I know, I was kinda joking, I haven't had a watch for years because I use my phone and I think it's the same for a lot of people. There's obviously still a market for decent watches, though.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Please don't laugh, but I got a Fossil android watch this weekend that I am ridiculously proud of. For two reasons - one I don't wear a watch usually, but had been intrigued by wearable tech, and two they messed up badly in the shop, selling it to me for £65 instead of close to £180. I'm not complaining in the least, if their till software is incorrect that's their problem

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Are there others like myself on NSC who have an unhealthy infatuation with watches?

I find myself perusing them every day and thinking which one I would like next.

For the record I would plump for a Zenith Stratos.
Really like watches, love looking at luxury or unusual ones but they only time I ever had an expensive watch (I didn't realise it was expensive at the time, it was a birthday present) I lost it :( All outof my price range now but I still look. I'm the same with sunglasses too :)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I like to escape from my phone now and again, especially when walking in the countryside.
I don't own an expensive watch though, but it's handy to just look at my watch rather than getting a phone out.
But when I'm working I don't wear a watch and use the phone for the time.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
They're actually a good investment. I have a Breitling Super Ocean that I bought, new, for £1,050 back in 2000. Now worth about £2,750 (I have spent about £1000 in maintenance, servicing and repairs, though :lolol:) I bought a Breitling Avenger II Sea Wolf, yellow face last year so now rotate between the two. After watching a fascinating documentary on George Daniels, I'm toying with the idea of buying an Omega with his coaxial escapement movement.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I paid about 4k for an omega 18 months ago. Went out one night on the piss wearing it, and it's scuffed to buggery!

It's now in my drawer because;

1) if my wife sees it, she will kill me.
2) every time I wear it and look at the scratches, it reminds me of exactly the reason why I should never buy nice things!

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
They're actually a good investment. I have a Breitling Super Ocean that I bought, new, for £1,050 back in 2000. Now worth about £2,750 (I have spent about £1000 in maintenance, servicing and repairs, though :lolol:) I bought a Breitling Avenger II Sea Wolf, yellow face last year so now rotate between the two. After watching a fascinating documentary on George Daniels, I'm toying with the idea of buying an Omega with his coaxial escapement movement.

I like the avenger II seawolf, very similar to my chronomat less the chronographs.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Oh, over my head :)

Yeah, was the same for me, but I've been shown the light.
After reading this thread, I'm now actually thinking of getting one. Not a stupidly expensive show-off one tho!

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton

That's part of the reason I bought mine, I know it's not going to lose value and if ever needs must, it's something that I'll always have that I can cash in on. Super Oceans look real nice btw.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
After reading this thread, I'm now actually thinking of getting one. Not a stupidly expensive show-off one tho!
So from zero to basic in a few hours. Give us a little time and we'll get you buying something nice. Mrs T has a nice automatic now :)

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
I paid about 4k for an omega 18 months ago. Went out one night on the piss wearing it, and it's scuffed to buggery!

It's now in my drawer because;

1) if my wife sees it, she will kill me.
2) every time I wear it and look at the scratches, it reminds me of exactly the reason why I should never buy nice things!

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

You can get the scratches easily removed - if its just the glass then whitening tooth paste will work if the scratched aren't too deep

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here