Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luxury watch enthusiasts....

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Yes completely in house and as a sister brand the similarities with Rolex are very close f you know your movements. COSC certified. For the price point a lot of watch compared with the competition.
https://monochrome-watches.com/tudo...79230-manufacture-movement-2016-review-price/
In the Black Bay, Pelagos and North Flag.
Tudor used to use ETA movements. In fact I owned a nice submariner sold it a few years back for £2000 could get £4000 if I had it now. Some of the older Tudors are very valuable indeed and highly collectible.

(Replying to Icyseagull)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You do know that all Rolex watches don’t increase in value ?
You mean 'not all', because some do. And if you were saying Rolex were the best value, I'd be pointing out the same thing, they don't all increase.
Nobody has said Tudor watches increase in value
I didn't say they did say that :shrug:
just that they were better value than some of the more renowned brands.
No, that's not what was said. You've come at this with all your facts wrong. They said 'probably the best value watch on the market today', not 'better value than some'.

One of the top value mechanical watches I can think of are Seiko. In house movement, good history, reliable, affordable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair points. But there seems a lot more to watches and we can talk thousands and thousands of pounds which can mean sacrificing something else in life which is significant. A can of beer or a man bag is a much lesser level.
People spend a lot more on fancy clothes etc than a can of beer, but yes, some watches are very expensive, and perhaps not money well spent if it means you're sacrificing something significant in life.

What car do you drive HT? A nice affordable Skoda? Or are you a bmw/merc guy?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People spend a lot more on fancy clothes etc than a can of beer, but yes, some watches are very expensive, and perhaps not money well spent if it means you're sacrificing something significant in life.

What car do you drive HT? A nice affordable Skoda? Or are you a bmw/merc guy?

I don’t have a car. I don’t have an agenda and prefer not to reply as I think it might take the thread off course.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
My less than 1 year old Omega Diver Seamaster is in for a new crystal at the moment (3 weeks).

I don't know why they bother but the new ones have an anti reflective coating on the outside as well as the inside of the crystal. Why take a scratch resistant Sapphire crystal and apply a coating to it that is easily scratched?

Can't see the logic myself. Omega service won't even professionally remove this coating when requested either as it is still under warranty.

TLDR; why put external AR coatings on Sapphire crystal?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One of the top value mechanical watches I can think of are Seiko. In house movement, good history, reliable, affordable.

Is a Seiko is your watch of choice?

I’ve had a few and imo they don’t hold a candle to Tudor in quality of build or looks. Tudor much more expensive, granted.

Tudor, through and through now I am :smile:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, but I have one. Don't really have one brand that's a preferred choice, but I think Seiko are among the best value.
I’ve had a few and imo they don’t hold a candle to Tudor in quality of build or looks.
Well looks is a matter of taste. Which ones have you had? Some of them are quite pricey and well made, others are very affordable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No, but I have one. Don't really have one brand that's a preferred choice, but I think Seiko are among the best value.
Well looks is a matter of taste. Which ones have you had? Some of them are quite pricey and well made, others are very affordable.

I honestly don’t remember, nothing flash or expensive, I like understated (or as my daughter says “looks like a child’s watch”) so I’ll have to have a look at their current range but if they go over two grand then they’ll be in the Tudor ball park

Get back to you

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I’ve had a few and imo they don’t hold a candle to Tudor in quality of build or looks. Tudor much more expensive, granted.

Tudor, through and through now I am :smile:

Tudor much more expensive? Have you checked out the upper Grand Seiko models?

I've not looked at the Tudor range recently, but I think you'll find the best Seiko watches cost many times the price of the best Tudors.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’ll have to have a look at their current range but if they go over two grand then they’ll be in the Tudor ball park

Get back to you
Large variety of styles, particularly dress watches (like the Brightz range, which I think are good quality). Grand Seiko are the really expensive ones (maybe a Hi-Beat 36000 Diver for £10k :) ). Or the SBGA029 which is a bit more affordable and still a Grand Seiko and high spec.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is a great article that sums up the "I like nice watches" crowd who simply go for the main Swiss houses and would sneer at a Seiko for no other reason than it's a Seiko despite, as I say, it being possible to spend 6-8 times more on a Seiko than a Tudor.

"The next time you see someone with a Grand Seiko on his wrist in the streets, know that this man – once armed with the dollars and cents which could have allowed him a Rolex or Panerai – earnestly picked it well knowing that the average Joe would not know the difference between his watch and a regular $300 Seiko, and also the inevitable mockery he would get from his peers over the stupidity of spending $7,000 on ‘just a Seiko’.

This is a man who truly knows watches and not the ‘common’ brand heads who believe they can buy class with a Rolex."

MORE >>> Grand Seiko – The Pinnacle of Mechanical Watchmaking Surpassing Even the Swiss

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Nought wrong with a Seiko Monster I say [emoji846]. But a lovely Oris for best as well. You don't have to spend a fortune on a quality cult watch if you don't want to follow the crowd.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
d5cac74781224fe10929f31ae04d6efc.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

"And then, there’s the whole branding thing, which can be easily shown by a test: both watches below cost around SGD 8,000, assuming you had the money now and had to pick one, which one would you go for?"

image58.jpeg

If I wasn't allowed to sell it, and wasn't considering inheritance, I'd get the Seiko. I do like the classic Datejusts, but not that one.

"This man would pick a Rolex. Check out his YouTube channel ‘archieluxury’ to see an example of horology snobiety executed with extremely low class."
:lol: Man on the ****ing moon!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nought wrong with a Seiko Monster I say [emoji846]. But a lovely Oris for best as well. You don't have to spend a fortune on a quality cult watch if you don't want to follow the crowd.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
d5cac74781224fe10929f31ae04d6efc.jpg

I've got a Monster with an orange dial - wonderfully robust watches.

I'd really like a blue Tuna.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nought wrong with a Seiko Monster
There's so much I like about the Monster, but I've never found one that's quite what I want. I don't like the shark teeth, and the ones without shark teeth have different hands or colours that put me off. One day they'll do one I'll buy.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
This is a great article that sums up the "I like nice watches" crowd who simply go for the main Swiss houses and would sneer at a Seiko for no other reason than it's a Seiko despite, as I say, it being possible to spend 6-8 times more on a Seiko than a Tudor.

"The next time you see someone with a Grand Seiko on his wrist in the streets, know that this man – once armed with the dollars and cents which could have allowed him a Rolex or Panerai – earnestly picked it well knowing that the average Joe would not know the difference between his watch and a regular $300 Seiko, and also the inevitable mockery he would get from his peers over the stupidity of spending $7,000 on ‘just a Seiko’.

This is a man who truly knows watches and not the ‘common’ brand heads who believe they can buy class with a Rolex."

MORE >>> Grand Seiko – The Pinnacle of Mechanical Watchmaking Surpassing Even the Swiss
In all the the years I've worn watches I've only had a handful of people comment other than people interested in watches at GTG's. The only people that really are interested are those wearing them.
Grand Seikos are great engineered watches but the price points are at Omega and Rolex levels for the steel versions, so about £2000/3000 more than Tudors.
I've a 1990's Seiko 007. Great watch picked it up a few years ago for £100. Nought wrong with Seiko.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes completely in house and as a sister brand the similarities with Rolex are very close f you know your movements. COSC certified. For the price point a lot of watch compared with the competition.
https://monochrome-watches.com/tudo...79230-manufacture-movement-2016-review-price/
In the Black Bay, Pelagos and North Flag.
Tudor used to use ETA movements. In fact I owned a nice submariner sold it a few years back for £2000 could get £4000 if I had it now. Some of the older Tudors are very valuable indeed and highly collectible.

(Replying to Icyseagull)

I don’t understand why people get hung up on the concept of in-house movements. Surely it is the quality of the movement rather than the provenance that matters.

Would you choose a pre takeover Skoda, with an ‘in-house’ engine, over a Skoda with a VW engine?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

There are some beautiful Seiko watches, for sure.

Im certainly no watch snob. One of my favourites is a retro white plastic Casio digital, bought off eBay for a fiver. Classic design. This kind of thing;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Digi..._rd_wg=ABVbI&refRID=RMRX4MHSF8TJ8NRCF739&th=1

B5ABBE53-7CC9-4B4C-924D-BA4C9CE71418.jpeg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here