Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Energy company

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I'm amazed, perhaps surprised that nobody in this thread offering either positive recommendations or negative feedback has at any time quoted the actual cost of the energy they were consuming or are now.

It is pointless talking about what your monthly DD is - what is important is the daily standing charge and the price per kwh of energy (either gas or electricity) you consume.

I need to change suppliers but all I see in the bumf is save around £300 per year......useless......

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Smart Meters are (currently) tied to the supplier who installed them. If you switch to another supplier then the smart meter the previous supplier installed then gets used as a regular meter and the new supplier will probably start hassling you to come round and switch to their smart meter.

All suppliers are desperately trying to get customers to get smart meters by 2020 otherwise they get hit by fines by the Government. Unfortunately the roll out has been less than smooth which hasn't been helped by the suppliers not being able to agree on a standard smart meter which they can all use.
I had them installed as part of a test unfortunately they use Vodaphone to transmit info, in Northumberland possibly the worst no old provider so my hub in front room couldn't receive data from meter. Waste of time and money for them SSE that is. Will be interesting when it gets wheeled out nationwide to see how they get around problem.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm thinking of switching from British Gas to another energy supplier, I assume that I shall have exactly the same service just can pay less to a different supplier than British Gas are charging.

E-on are who USwitch are suggesting but does anyone have any other opinions of the whole process of switching or of E-on. I've only ever used British Gas who in fairness have been pretty good

I'm with Eon who are good with customer service. They also email every January with the latest tariffs they are offering so I can change every 12 months. I usually have three or four to choose from.

I do price comparisons now and again, but have stuck with Eon for now. I get a yearly usage statement which is useful for price comparisons.

The cheapest options with any company are dual fuel, DD payments and paperless bills, as online statements are easy to print off.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Smart Meters are (currently) tied to the supplier who installed them. If you switch to another supplier then the smart meter the previous supplier installed then gets used as a regular meter and the new supplier will probably start hassling you to come round and switch to their smart meter.

All suppliers are desperately trying to get customers to get smart meters by 2020 otherwise they get hit by fines by the Government. Unfortunately the roll out has been less than smooth which hasn't been helped by the suppliers not being able to agree on a standard smart meter which they can all use.

Eon have not tried to 'sell' a smart meter to us, so they're not that desperate.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
I move over to flow energy last year and never had a problem went via the martin Lewis energy club . I do have a referral code which both people a free nights hotel stay if wanted I think

Last edited:

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I've just switched to Ecotricity from Npower. Npower's customer service is awful - being put on hold with tinny music playing at loud volume and a call can take 30 minutes. Even after I thought I'd switched Npower objected to Ecotricity on the grounds I hadn't settled the final bill. They sent me an email after I'd paid it. This was a delaying tactic designed to make me ring them again in order to keep me as a customer. When I'd pointed out that I'd paid the call taker started giving me the big sell. I said I might be interested if they could better Ecotricity. At this point the call taker said my call would have to be transferred to another person. Cue five more minutes of music before a Geordie male said he'd look into it before being put on hold with more music. At this point I put the phone down - 30 minutes of life wasted.

I'm now waiting for smart meters to be installed by Ecotricity which when done will make life a lot easier but I've been waiting since 22nd August for their call.

Ecotricity are wankers. I genuinely hate them.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I would avoid all the big boys as they generally have appalling customer service, particularly NPower. I'm with Ovo and they've been great.

Also have a £25 voucher refer a friend code if anyone wants to PM me (assuming bozza doesn't mind).

Another Ovo customer here and agree 100% with you Notters in fact at one stage we had built up about £300 in credit and they phoned me up to tell me that they were refunding me !! I can't see any of the big six doing that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone got anything else to add?

GoCompare have thrown up OVO as my best option, naturally I headed to the oracle just to check.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Anyone got anything else to add?

GoCompare have thrown up OVO as my best option, naturally I headed to the oracle just to check.

Have a look also at Affect Energy who are based Shoreham. I changed to them a year ago and very happy with their customer service and costs. ( I got there via Money Saving Expert )

My smart meter, installed by British Gas is not currently usable but I was led to believe that attempts are being considered to make all smart meters compatible.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I just done they same comparison with MoneySavings and they also coughed up OVO.

My prompt for this was I didn't get my reading off in time to NPower and had a large estimated bill.
All I've got to do is figure out the best time to switch as obviously I don't want to get into a kerfuffle over the outstanding balance.

Jan 30, 2008
Have a look also at Affect Energy who are based Shoreham. I changed to them a year ago and very happy with their customer service and costs. ( I got there via Money Saving Expert )

My smart meter, installed by British Gas is not currently usable but I was led to believe that attempts are being considered to make all smart meters compatible.
shock, shock, BUT THE METER WORKER GOT PAID HIS BONUS :facepalm:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here