Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Members

Withdean Capacity

0 Not allowed!
    Was just wondering what the capacity of our Theatre of Trees was over the years.

I know the capacity was increased throughout out time there, but does anyone know which seasons and by how much. Unfortunately, I was too young to know the ins and outs of capacities at the time until the last couple of seasons.

Is it true that it was sold out for every game in the first couple of seasons?

Cheers
    People always seem to think I'm lazy. I don't mind, I think they're crazy.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      The capacity varied between approx 6,000 and 8,000 during our tenure there I believe, and yes, in the first couple of seasons it was virtually impossible to get a ticket for love or money.

Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -Mark Twain

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
      The capacity varied between approx 6,000 and 8,000 during our tenure there I believe, and yes, in the first couple of seasons it was virtually impossible to get a ticket for love or money.
      For the first couple of seasons there was nothing at one end apart from a hammer-throwing net, so they gave the away fans the corner stand. I seem to remember most matches were pretty much sold out then, when the capacity was around the 6,000 mark I think.

Who can forget the great first match back in Brighton? First game of the season, beautiful sunny day, won 6-0 with Brighton-born Darren Freeman getting a hat-trick... Fans in the South Stand stomping their feet to make the sound of an express train for some reason (?!).
      *JCL since 1976 - FA Cup final, replay and semi, two play-off finals, Hereford, three Championships, eight promotions, five relegations, four home stadiums*

0 Not allowed!
      Yes, it was definitely selling out for the first few seasons. Though attendances really did start to drop the year we got relegated from the Championship 2005/2006 (i think). I remember Harty's phone in used to be dominated by the bums on seats epidemic. Mid-week, our crowds really dropped. I think we started getting crowds as low as around 3,000 during those miserable seasons in league 1 when players like Bas Savage were crowd favourites.

Amazing how things have changed.

1 Not allowed!
      Wasn't it just the North and South Stands initially? Then we had the North East corner for away fans and that totally pointless little pocket of seats next to the police box. Then much later the West/Worthing Stand for away fans and the East Stand stuck next to the old away section. Can't remember years specifically but fairly confident of that order. I do remember for sure that the Palace game in 05 was the first for the new away end as I personally got dogs abuse from the dirty ***** from where I was sat in the North Stand. God knows how they could single out one person from that distance.

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Megazone View Post
      Yes, it was definitely selling out for the first few seasons. Though attendances really did start to drop the year we got relegated from the Championship 2005/2006 (i think). I remember Harty's phone in used to be dominated by the bums on seats epidemic. Mid-week, our crowds really dropped. I think we started getting crowds as low as around 3,000 during those miserable seasons in league 1 when players like Bas Savage were crowd favourites.
      I'm sure it never dropped as low as that. We were getting that many for some home games at Gillingham when we were bottom of the football league.

Would be interested to know what the lowest Withdean attendance was. I think at Gillingham is was around 850 for a midweek game (v Barnet or Peterborough?).

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the lowest-ever home attendance at the Goldstone was 1,100 for the boycotted match against Mansfield.
      *JCL since 1976 - FA Cup final, replay and semi, two play-off finals, Hereford, three Championships, eight promotions, five relegations, four home stadiums*

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BeHereNow View Post
      Is it true that it was sold out for every game in the first couple of seasons?
      Home end, yes, but if the away fans don't sell out then it shows as being under capacity.

Also, bear in mind that we reported the actual attendance, so if you bought a ticket (or ST) and couldn't go, it made it look like it wasn't sold.
      Checking the league table

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by kevo View Post
      I think at Gillingham is was around 850 for a midweek game (v Barnet or Peterborough?).
      I thought Gillinghams was around 1,100 on a midweek. I don't think we ever went below 1,000

4 Not allowed!
      If my memory is correct:

First season was just the North and South Stands - away fans in the north corner.
      Added the new away end , adjacent to the North Stand - this was sometimes split with home fans if the away attendance was small
      Added the tiny stand under the clock
      Added the big away end at the hammer throwing end
      Added a final stand next to the 'old' away end , which became the family stand.

Attendance for first game vs Mansfield - 5,882
      Attendance for Play off Game vs Swindon - 6,876
      Game v Palace (3-2 defeat) - 7,273
      Final Game vs Huddersfield - 8,416
      Part of the fantastic REMF Winning team of 2013.
      "on the stroke of half-time it took a world class save from Greening to deny McGoldrick."