Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official NFL 2017 Thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The minimum expectation for my Steelers this year is to be back in the AFCCG. If they achieve that and the game is anywhere other than Foxboro I think they can go all the way. Judging from preseason our secondary is going to be the Achilles heel again.

I don't see the AFC North being too competitive this year. The Ravens look to have a rapidly improving defence but a serious dearth of talent on offence, the Bengals have all the pieces to have a top offence but it might just be a year too early for Mixon and Ross. The Browns will trend in the right direction but realisitically can't expect much more than 6-10.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
The minimum expectation for my Steelers this year is to be back in the AFCCG. If they achieve that and the game is anywhere other than Foxboro I think they can go all the way. Judging from preseason our secondary is going to be the Achilles heel again.

I don't see the AFC North being too competitive this year. The Ravens look to have a rapidly improving defence but a serious dearth of talent on offence, the Bengals have all the pieces to have a top offence but it might just be a year too early for Mixon and Ross. The Browns will trend in the right direction but realisitically can't expect much more than 6-10.

Not so sure about the serious dearth of talent on the ravens offense. WRs of Maclin Wallace and Perriman (who has made rapid improvements) may be the best WR group that the Ravens have ever had (there isn't a whole lot of competition). The RBs aren't anything on LeVeon, but are somewhat underrated and the addition of Woodhead will be quite important. The O-line is currently the biggest question mark as there's been a ton of injuries but Yanda is still there. Offense has looked pretty bad in preseason, but Flacco will be back for the opener and it will be a very different beast.

I'm not saying they're going to be a top 10 offense, but they maybe only need to be top 20 given how good their defense looks.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not so sure about the serious dearth of talent on the ravens offense. WRs of Maclin Wallace and Perriman (who has made rapid improvements) may be the best WR group that the Ravens have ever had (there isn't a whole lot of competition). The RBs aren't anything on LeVeon, but are somewhat underrated and the addition of Woodhead will be quite important. The O-line is currently the biggest question mark as there's been a ton of injuries but Yanda is still there. Offense has looked pretty bad in preseason, but Flacco will be back for the opener and it will be a very different beast.

I'm not saying they're going to be a top 10 offense, but they maybe only need to be top 20 given how good their defense looks.

The passing game will need to be good because unless they make a move for someone they have the worst starting running back in the NFL. I like Maclin and think he'll have a good year in the Steve Smith role but don't share you enthusiasm about the rest of the receivers. Woodhead is an injury prone 32 year old coming off another serious injury. Flacco will need to be exceptional, which barring the playoff run in his contract year he's never been.

Last edited:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
The passing game will need to be good because unless they make a move for someone they have the worst starting running back in the NFL. I like Maclin and think he'll have a good year in the Steve Smith role but don't share you enthusiasm about the rest of the receivers. Woodhead is an injury prone 32 year old coming off another serious injury. Flacco will need to be exceptional, which barring the playoff run in his contract year he's never been.

I think 32/32 is somewhat unfair for Terrance West, but not going to quibble about exactly who is below him. Everyone wants to compare Wallace to the 50 million contract he signed when leaving the Steelers, but he was a 1000 yard receiver last year, and has been in every season that he's had a good quarterback. Perriman meanwhile hasn't been able to stay healthy, but he was consistently outperforming both Maclin and Wallace in camp.

The Ravens currently look significantly better than where they were last year, and bear in mind that they were only an Antonio Brown outstretched arm from taking the Steelers' spot in the playoffs. That game was lost because on 3 seperate drives, the Ravens weren't able to stop Ben in the 4th quarter. That issue looks to be more than resolved and this defense will be really hard to walk over.

The Ravens aren't and shouldn't be favourites for the division, but it's pretty rare that anyone walks the AFC north and I definitely don't see that changing. I expect it to be pretty much the same as it has been for the last 10 years: Ravens, Steelers and Bengals all fighting it out for the division and at least 1 of the other 2 making the playoffs while everyone laughs at the Browns.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think 32/32 is somewhat unfair for Terrance West, but not going to quibble about exactly who is below him. Everyone wants to compare Wallace to the 50 million contract he signed when leaving the Steelers, but he was a 1000 yard receiver last year, and has been in every season that he's had a good quarterback. Perriman meanwhile hasn't been able to stay healthy, but he was consistently outperforming both Maclin and Wallace in camp.

The Ravens currently look significantly better than where they were last year, and bear in mind that they were only an Antonio Brown outstretched arm from taking the Steelers' spot in the playoffs. That game was lost because on 3 seperate drives, the Ravens weren't able to stop Ben in the 4th quarter. That issue looks to be more than resolved and this defense will be really hard to walk over.

The Ravens aren't and shouldn't be favourites for the division, but it's pretty rare that anyone walks the AFC north and I definitely don't see that changing. I expect it to be pretty much the same as it has been for the last 10 years: Ravens, Steelers and Bengals all fighting it out for the division and at least 1 of the other 2 making the playoffs while everyone laughs at the Browns.

The return of Bryant, assuming everyone else can stay fit, will be worth 7 points per game to the Steelers offence this year. We were so easy to play against last year as we only had two threats on offence so teams could stack the box to try and handle Bell AND give safety help to look after Antonio Brown. Even then we managed 11-5 (the Ravens finished 8-8)

But you're right, the North is always tough and pride comes before a .....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Redskins challenging for second place in the NFC East :thumbsup:
No chance the skins will be second.

They'll either be 16-0 or 0-16

TBH I really couldn't say which way, but they sure as hell ain't finishing 8-8.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
The return of Bryant, assuming everyone else can stay fit, will be worth 7 points per game to the Steelers offence this year. We were so easy to play against last year as we only had two threats on offence so teams could stack the box to try and handle Bell AND give safety help to look after Antonio Brown. Even then we managed 11-5 (the Ravens finished 8-8)

But you're right, the North is always tough and pride comes before a .....

Don't disagree with any of that, but I think the 11-5 vs 8-8 comparison is misleading. For both sides the week 17 game didn't matter. The week 16 game was a play-off game that the Steelers won by a hair. I think both teams have improved, but there was hardly any difference between the two teams last year

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If anybody is interested in joining the NFL Fantasy Football league please let me know! We have TWO spots open!

Also come on you Bears. Our defence looks alot better than last season with alot of those now fit. Trusbisky is doing well and our running backs look monstrous. Our WR corps are totally dead though with Meredith down. Kevin White needs to step up.

It's GOT to be better than last season hasn't it? Pleeease!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's the Eagles year this year.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Looks like the Steelers are in win now mode having addressed their biggest needs in the last 48 hours.

49ers TE Vance McDonald and a 5th rounder arrive in return for a 4th rounder. Given the likely finishing spots for the two sides we could be talking as few as 10 picks.

And Joe Haden CB arrives on a 3 yr deal having been released by the Browns earlier in the day.

Question marks with both. McDonald has had issues with his hands since arriving at the 49ers as a second rounder in 2013 but is an upgrade on Jesse James as a blocker and has undoubted big play ability.

At his best Haden was one of the top corners in the league but has struggled with injury in recent years. Early reports suggest that the only guaranteed money in the contract is $7m this year.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol: :bowdown: :lolol:

Who says Americans have no sense of humour:-

[tweet]903626135120084994[/tweet]

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Steelers 17-14 Panthers to go 3-1 in preseason.

Looking forward to this especially now I'm subscribing to Sky Sports from Tuesday.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Raiders at the Titans today, hopefully Carr fit and ready to carry on the good work from last season

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Jags at the Texans. We haven't addressed our main deficiencies which are o-line and QB, I expect Bortles to get beat up quite bad. Should be low scoring but I'd imagine the Texans' D will have enough to secure the win.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
HERE WE GO

Redzone then Packers early on followed by Dem Boys.

On another note if anyone has spare tickets for the London games let me know - didnt renew this year as the guys I go with didnt want to but with it starting this week I really fancy it now - ideally Jags game if possible - if someone has a pair even better

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Raiders edging it 10-7, field goal at start of Q2

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
FG for the Redskins I'm guessing to bring them back within two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here