Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official NFL 2017 Thread

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Having said that Wentz is quietly impressive. I suspect the Brown are regretting missing out on him.

Suspect the Browns have too many regrets to work out what the real problem is these days. If Wentz had ended up there he would probably have been benched by now. Playing behind that O-line it does not really matter how good a QB you are.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Managed to score tickets for Eagles @ Seahawks 4th December.

I'm moving to Canada but it was half the price to fly into Seattle so thought i'd spend the extra $ on seeing an NFL game in America. Only a 4 hour coach to Vancouver too.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Suspect the Browns have too many regrets to work out what the real problem is these days. If Wentz had ended up there he would probably have been benched by now. Playing behind that O-line it does not really matter how good a QB you are.

The O-Line is much improved in Cleveland this year. But yes, Wentz would likely have not been alive from last year's battering to tell the tale.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The O-Line is much improved in Cleveland this year. But yes, Wentz would likely have not been alive from last year's battering to tell the tale.

Graded the 7th ranked O-Line this season so far I believe?! I had the very same conversation with a mate the other day about whether we should've taken Wentz (I was all for it before last years draft & was gutted when we didn't get him) but we basically both said exactly what you have....we could've had Tom Brady back there last year & even he wouldn't have been able to do anything because of the turnstile in front of him. So far this year its looking like we should've grabbed Watson while we could at #12 as well....

The O-Line, like you say, is much improved so far this season, but one of the big problems we have is the ground game. I've been saying since last season that we need to get Duke Johnson involved more, as Crowell is not a #1 RB. He is average at best & wont carry the running game enough to take the pressure off the QB. Until we get a decent run game going, any QB back there will struggle.

I know its early to talk about next year (this is the Browns though so Im allowed to!) but if we draft a QB next year (& thats a big IF, depending on how Hogan & Kizer play the remainder of this year) I would like to see Josh Allen from Wyoming under center. Great NFL size, huge arm, & been compared to Wentz funnily enough. I just wonder if this F/O would take the chance to draft a very similar player, after passing on Wentz last season - & seeing the success he is achieving this year?

Would also like to see Rashaad Penny from SDSU Aztecs in the backfield....superb runner who has averaged around 7 yds a carry the last 2 seasons in the Mountain West. At 5'11, 220 lbs he has good size to take the workload. 2 fantastic players that would give any offense a boost I reckon.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Graded the 7th ranked O-Line this season so far I believe?! I had the very same conversation with a mate the other day about whether we should've taken Wentz (I was all for it before last years draft & was gutted when we didn't get him) but we basically both said exactly what you have....we could've had Tom Brady back there last year & even he wouldn't have been able to do anything because of the turnstile in front of him. So far this year its looking like we should've grabbed Watson while we could at #12 as well....

The O-Line, like you say, is much improved so far this season, but one of the big problems we have is the ground game. I've been saying since last season that we need to get Duke Johnson involved more, as Crowell is not a #1 RB. He is average at best & wont carry the running game enough to take the pressure off the QB. Until we get a decent run game going, any QB back there will struggle.

I know its early to talk about next year (this is the Browns though so Im allowed to!) but if we draft a QB next year (& thats a big IF, depending on how Hogan & Kizer play the remainder of this year) I would like to see Josh Allen from Wyoming under center. Great NFL size, huge arm, & been compared to Wentz funnily enough. I just wonder if this F/O would take the chance to draft a very similar player, after passing on Wentz last season - & seeing the success he is achieving this year?

Would also like to see Rashaad Penny from SDSU Aztecs in the backfield....superb runner who has averaged around 7 yds a carry the last 2 seasons in the Mountain West. At 5'11, 220 lbs he has good size to take the workload. 2 fantastic players that would give any offense a boost I reckon.

Wentz was a big miss. You weren't the only team to undergrade Watson and 2 games do not an NFL career make. I like Kizer's arm and there's a good QB in there but he has a lot to learn at this level and there have been doubts about his character coming out of highschool and at college. I like Rosen, Allen and Darnold a lot. Knowing the Browns they'll draft Lamar Jackson and he won't cut it in the NFL.

Now that West is out of the picture Crowell is the worst starting running back in the NFL. I don't get this slight on Duke Johnson that he won't be durable in the NFL, this is Miami Hurricanes ALL TIME leading rusher. He's 210 lbs. Give the kid a go - you know what you've got in Crowell.....

I'd love to see Pittsburgh make some serious effort to trade up for Allen, especially if he drops becuase of continuing struggles this year. The kid is a Roethlisberger clone.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Allen got crushed by the Oregon D a couple of weeks ago, that may have damaged his stock somewhat I think.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Wentz was a big miss. You weren't the only team to undergrade Watson and 2 games do not an NFL career make. I like Kizer's arm and there's a good QB in there but he has a lot to learn at this level and there have been doubts about his character coming out of highschool and at college. I like Rosen, Allen and Darnold a lot. Knowing the Browns they'll draft Lamar Jackson and he won't cut it in the NFL.

Now that West is out of the picture Crowell is the worst starting running back in the NFL. I don't get this slight on Duke Johnson that he won't be durable in the NFL, this is Miami Hurricanes ALL TIME leading rusher. He's 210 lbs. Give the kid a go - you know what you've got in Crowell.....

I'd love to see Pittsburgh make some serious effort to trade up for Allen, especially if he drops becuase of continuing struggles this year. The kid is a Roethlisberger clone.

Nail. On. The. Head

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Some big results yesterday!

A lot of pressure on Le'Veon Bell to have a big yardage game yesterday after game week 5s performance from BB it was obvious we were going to run the football and boy did he show up. I've never seen a RB pick the lock like him, one second you think he's going to get levelled at the line of scrimmage the next he's 15 yards up the field. I only managed to watch the first half before falling asleep but he had a great first half! O-Line helped massively. Don't think BB had a great game, the sack was on him held onto the ball far too long. The INT was on Brown though, and he knew it even apologised straight away.

Talking of Brown, that catch for the TD. Best in the business without a doubt.

Defence showed up big time yesterday. (Other than the missed tackle for the Chiefs TD) But I have NEVER seen a snap sail over the QB's head and straight out the end zone!?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Some big results yesterday!

A lot of pressure on Le'Veon Bell to have a big yardage game yesterday after game week 5s performance from BB it was obvious we were going to run the football and boy did he show up. I've never seen a RB pick the lock like him, one second you think he's going to get levelled at the line of scrimmage the next he's 15 yards up the field. I only managed to watch the first half before falling asleep but he had a great first half! O-Line helped massively. Don't think BB had a great game, the sack was on him held onto the ball far too long. The INT was on Brown though, and he knew it even apologised straight away.

Talking of Brown, that catch for the TD. Best in the business without a doubt.

Defence showed up big time yesterday. (Other than the missed tackle for the Chiefs TD) But I have NEVER seen a snap sail over the QB's head and straight out the end zone!?

BB was better yesterday. I think we have temper expectations, if he can not lose us games, we're still going to be a very tough side to beat. I might be wrong but this season looks a year late for BB and a year early before this defense is a top 5 outfit. Looks to me like the plan for life without BB is to go back to old Steelers football; strong defense, strong running game, game manager type at QB.

Bryant wants a trade apparently. I'd imagine the Steelers would be willing to listen to offers. He's a free agent after this year, he's one mistake away from never playing football again, Ju Ju looks the business, we can use Hunter as a deep threat (which is less important as BB's play has degraded) and we're pretty good at drafting receivers. Having said all that, despite his numbers I've really like the look of Bryant this year.

My hot takes from yesterday - Marcus Gilbert is far more important to our O-Line than I thought, David Decastro is having his best season yet and BJ Finney will take Ramon Fosters starting spot by the start of the 2018/9 season. Not taking anything away from Bell but our line showed up in a big way yesterday.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
So what now for GB? Do they take Kaepernick?

Either way they need an experienced QB whether it's back up to Hundley or not. They need someone who can handle the pressure.so why not take Kaepernick?

16 TDs and 4 INT last season for a woeful 49ers team.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So what now for GB? Do they take Kaepernick?

Either way they need an experienced QB whether it's back up to Hundley or not. They need someone who can handle the pressure.so why not take Kaepernick?

16 TDs and 4 INT last season for a woeful 49ers team.

It's an option. How comfortable is Tony Romo's seat in the commentary booth?

But don't underestimate how much of an advantage Hundley has by virtue of his three years in the system. It reminds me a bit of when the Steelers started Vick over Landry Jones, who as limited as he is, was better than Vick because he knew the offence.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
It's an option. How comfortable is Tony Romo's seat in the commentary booth?

But don't underestimate how much of an advantage Hundley has by virtue of his three years in the system. It reminds me a bit of when the Steelers started Vick over Landry Jones, who as limited as he is, was better than Vick because he knew the offence.

I cannot see Romo coming out of the booth - he has been amazing. Especially with the lack of protection that O-line in Greenbay is giving, recipe for yet another serious injury

That said if they say to him, you get us to the playoffs and we let you have a run even is Rodgers is pretty much ready then he may take the opportunity I think to try and get that elusive ring.

He gets a ring he goes to the HOF for me and those two things could be a huge draw

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Wow....I only wondered last night what he was up to now as he had been off screen for a while.
Never a huge fan of him on the NFL coverage, but that is really sad news & has shocked me completely :eek:(

Really surprised to see nothing on the Sky Sports website at all about this yet...he was a long standing member of the TV team up there & they haven't put any sort of article up??

Last edited:

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Wow....I only wondered last night what he was up to now as he had been off screen for a while.
Never a huge fan of him on the NFL coverage, but that is really sad news & has shocked me completely :eek:(

Really surprised to see nothing on the Sky Sports website at all about this yet...he was a long standing member of the TV team up there & they haven't put any sort of article up??

There is one there now - guess took them a few minutes as so unexpected: http://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/1...-former-sky-sports-nfl-presenter-dies-aged-62

Very sad to hear about Kevin Cadle's passing, really enjoyed his commentating when he was on sky.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Heard yesterday on the TV that the Browns have played 26 different QBs since their return to the NFL in 1999

Its even worse than that...weve used 28. :eek:(

Season(s) Quarterback(s)

2017 DeShone Kizer (5) / Kevin Hogan (1)
2016 Robert Griffin III (5) / Josh McCown (3) / Cody Kessler (8)
2015 Josh McCown (8) / Johnny Manziel (6) / Austin Davis (2)
2014 Brian Hoyer (13) / Johnny Manziel (2) / Connor Shaw (1)
2013 Jason Campbell (8) / Brandon Weeden (5) / Brian Hoyer (3)
2012 Brandon Weeden (15) / Thad Lewis (1)
2011 Colt McCoy (13) / Seneca Wallace (3)
2010 Colt McCoy (8) / Jake Delhomme (4) / Seneca Wallace (4)
2009 Brady Quinn (9) / Derek Anderson (7)
2008 Derek Anderson (9) / Brady Quinn (3) / Ken Dorsey (3) / Bruce Gradkowski (1)
2007 Derek Anderson (15) / Charlie Frye (1)
2006 Charlie Frye (13) / Derek Anderson (3)
2005 Trent Dilfer (11) / Charlie Frye (5)
2004 Jeff Garcia (10) / Kelly Holcomb (2) / Luke McCown (4)
2003 Kelly Holcomb (8) / Tim Couch (8)
2002 Tim Couch (14) / Kelly Holcomb (2)
2001 Tim Couch (16)
2000 Doug Pederson (8) / Tim Couch (7) / Spergon Wynn (1)
1999 Tim Couch (14) / Ty Detmer (2)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here