Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official NFL 2017 Thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Its even worse than that...weve used 28. :eek:(

Season(s) Quarterback(s)

2017 DeShone Kizer (5) / Kevin Hogan (1)
2016 Robert Griffin III (5) / Josh McCown (3) / Cody Kessler (8)
2015 Josh McCown (8) / Johnny Manziel (6) / Austin Davis (2)
2014 Brian Hoyer (13) / Johnny Manziel (2) / Connor Shaw (1)
2013 Jason Campbell (8) / Brandon Weeden (5) / Brian Hoyer (3)
2012 Brandon Weeden (15) / Thad Lewis (1)
2011 Colt McCoy (13) / Seneca Wallace (3)
2010 Colt McCoy (8) / Jake Delhomme (4) / Seneca Wallace (4)
2009 Brady Quinn (9) / Derek Anderson (7)
2008 Derek Anderson (9) / Brady Quinn (3) / Ken Dorsey (3) / Bruce Gradkowski (1)
2007 Derek Anderson (15) / Charlie Frye (1)
2006 Charlie Frye (13) / Derek Anderson (3)
2005 Trent Dilfer (11) / Charlie Frye (5)
2004 Jeff Garcia (10) / Kelly Holcomb (2) / Luke McCown (4)
2003 Kelly Holcomb (8) / Tim Couch (8)
2002 Tim Couch (14) / Kelly Holcomb (2)
2001 Tim Couch (16)
2000 Doug Pederson (8) / Tim Couch (7) / Spergon Wynn (1)
1999 Tim Couch (14) / Ty Detmer (2)

The last time they managed a full season with the same quarterback is 16 years ago. And scanning the names on that list it's beyond belief that in all those years of top picks, the best they've had under centre is Bryan Hoyer or a late career Trent Dilfer.

Can someone please explain to me what Cody Kessler did so wrong? Throughout his college and short NFL career he has showed himself to be an effective game manager. What a mess.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The last time they managed a full season with the same quarterback is 16 years ago. And scanning the names on that list it's beyond belief that in all those years of top picks, the best they've had under centre is Bryan Hoyer or a late career Trent Dilfer.

Can someone please explain to me what Cody Kessler did so wrong? Throughout his college and short NFL career he has showed himself to be an effective game manager. What a mess.

Its abysmal isn't it? I wish I had the answer re: Kessler. I thought he did alright behind a porous line last year...all things considered - and was kind of hoping he would do even better this year behind a better unit. Why Jackson has totally frozen him out when he drafted the guy (& said "Trust me on this one") seems really odd.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Its abysmal isn't it? I wish I had the answer re: Kessler. I thought he did alright behind a porous line last year...all things considered - and was kind of hoping he would do even better this year behind a better unit. Why Jackson has totally frozen him out when he drafted the guy (& said "Trust me on this one") seems really odd.

Your offensive line at the end of last year was as bad as I've ever seen in 30 odd years of watching the NFL. The kid escaped from his first 8 NFL starts with 7 ypa, 90+ QBR, 65% completion percentage. He's never going to win you anything but his ceiling could easily be an Alex Smith type. From what I saw of him last year the Steelers could do worse if they are looking for a game manager and to lean heavily on the run game and defense next year.

And why throw Kizer to the wolves who is a developmental prospect with a lot to learn when you have a kid on the books who's already done alright. The Browns were never going to make the playoffs this year so why risk a boom or bust prospects career? It, as always with The Browns, makes no sense at all.

I'm just wondering how you're going to ruin Myles Garrett now. He looks a serious player.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Redskins managed to just about get the points yesterday. Didn't realise quite how unlucky/unable to close out a game* the 49ers have been of late, I think they said last six game have been losses by three points or less?

edit: checked it, it's the last five.

*delete as appropriate :)

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Its even worse than that...weve used 28. :eek:(

Season(s) Quarterback(s)

2017 DeShone Kizer (5) / Kevin Hogan (1)
2016 Robert Griffin III (5) / Josh McCown (3) / Cody Kessler (8)
2015 Josh McCown (8) / Johnny Manziel (6) / Austin Davis (2)
2014 Brian Hoyer (13) / Johnny Manziel (2) / Connor Shaw (1)
2013 Jason Campbell (8) / Brandon Weeden (5) / Brian Hoyer (3)
2012 Brandon Weeden (15) / Thad Lewis (1)
2011 Colt McCoy (13) / Seneca Wallace (3)
2010 Colt McCoy (8) / Jake Delhomme (4) / Seneca Wallace (4)
2009 Brady Quinn (9) / Derek Anderson (7)
2008 Derek Anderson (9) / Brady Quinn (3) / Ken Dorsey (3) / Bruce Gradkowski (1)
2007 Derek Anderson (15) / Charlie Frye (1)
2006 Charlie Frye (13) / Derek Anderson (3)
2005 Trent Dilfer (11) / Charlie Frye (5)
2004 Jeff Garcia (10) / Kelly Holcomb (2) / Luke McCown (4)
2003 Kelly Holcomb (8) / Tim Couch (8)
2002 Tim Couch (14) / Kelly Holcomb (2)
2001 Tim Couch (16)
2000 Doug Pederson (8) / Tim Couch (7) / Spergon Wynn (1)
1999 Tim Couch (14) / Ty Detmer (2)

Manziel, first round pick in the 2014 draft and released after 1 year. Madness.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Sad news about Cadle - in my early days of watching on Sky him and Nick kept me watching. Never felt Sky was the same since he left the weekly team

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
RIP Kevin Cadle, a great presenter and seemingly all round nice guy... Sky coverage has been so much poorer without him.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Shocking news about Big Kev. Didn't realise he was as old as he was, but even so, it's no age at all. Met him briefly at Twickenham last year, as he was bobbing around promoting his book. Absolutely huge, larger than life character, and well, it's just such a shock.

RIP big man!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I ran into him outside ~Wembley before one of the NFL games - I was off to the tailgate and he was off to do the SKY commentary - he was very laid back and relaxed about it all.

He really was a big part of any UK NFL fans American Football experience.

Jul 7, 2003
So sad to hear about Kevin Cadle. Spoke to him once and a genuinely passionate NFL man - you'd have to be to be a Bills fan.

For those who haven't seen it, there is a very emotional piece on SkySportsNews from Neil Reynolds in tribute to big Kev. Even though he had lost the Sky gig, he was always there to support Reynolds and he said Kev was also the first person to call him when his mum died. Real lump in the throat stuff watching Neil recount how good a man Kev was.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
So sad to hear about Kevin Cadle. Spoke to him once and a genuinely passionate NFL man - you'd have to be to be a Bills fan.

For those who haven't seen it, there is a very emotional piece on SkySportsNews from Neil Reynolds in tribute to big Kev. Even though he had lost the Sky gig, he was always there to support Reynolds and he said Kev was also the first person to call him when his mum died. Real lump in the throat stuff watching Neil recount how good a man Kev was.

Very sad news indeed and that was a very fine tribute from Neil Reynolds.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Great game for the neutrals last night it seems!

Raiders needed the W after 4 straight defeats, Amari Cooper 11 catches 210 yards 2 TDs are some impressive stats

So glad I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to put the game on. What a last 14 seconds! Think that lasted about 15 minutes, thrilling stuff and a great win for the Raiders.

Jul 7, 2003
Great game for the neutrals last night it seems!

Raiders needed the W after 4 straight defeats, Amari Cooper 11 catches 210 yards 2 TDs are some impressive stats

What was Marshawn Lynch thinking of though when he almost picked up the official?

Jul 7, 2003
Watching the last 15 minutes of the West Ham game has been like an NFL crowd when the home side are getting beaten - empty stadium with 5 minutes to go.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here