Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guess the Ref...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Which Premier League referee made sure the game was all about him - again - today?

Alan Shearer "... are [we] going to rigidly apply law with no common sense...?"

Bobby Zamora "Absolute joke."

Garth Crooks "Who is he appealing to by sending him off for that? It's certainly not the crowd."

Mark Schwarzer "I think he has got that one wrong."

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
No idea why anyone would think Mike dean is a self centered egotistical moron as clearly he is the best ref around

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It was almost the last minute of the game, it didn't affect the result, and could easily be covered with "after scoring the winnner, Sterling received an obligatory second yellow for his celebration just before the final whistle".

That way people realise it's something that has happened before and isn't really all that controversial. Players always get booked for such celebrations, but also it minimises the attention the referee gets. Most of the time that people accuse refs of trying to make themselves the centre of attention, it's actually us making them the centre of attention.

Really, why are "the champions elect" celebrating a late winning goal against a winless Bournemouth in the third game of the season as if they've just won the champions league?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really, why are "the champions elect" celebrating a late winning goal against a winless Bournemouth in the third game of the season as if they've just won the champions league?

If there's a time when a team and their fans scoring a 97th minute come-from-behind winner don't go loopy, then I'm giving up on football.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was almost the last minute of the game, it didn't affect the result, and could easily be covered with "after scoring the winnner, Sterling received an obligatory second yellow for his celebration just before the final whistle".

That way people realise it's something that has happened before and isn't really all that controversial. Players always get booked for such celebrations, but also it minimises the attention the referee gets. Most of the time that people accuse refs of trying to make themselves the centre of attention, it's actually us making them the centre of attention.

Because they'd faced 50+ minutes of time wasting, but still got vital three points in the last second. That was vital, otherwise a huge setback in their competition with favourites ManU. It was the big picture that mattered.

Howe was surprisingly transparent in his post match interviews, that he planned the second half to be stop start to run down the clock. It surprised the media who said Bournemouth are normally cavalier whoever they play.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Any ref that's known, and by the looks of it, deliberately cultivated his reputation as the ref with the "no look, yellow" deserves to be refereeing non-league football. He clearly has an extraordinarily large ego and that's a problem at this level. Compare and contrast with the recent refs we've had for Man Citeh and Leicester where both were excellent and virtually invisible.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If there's a time when a team and their fans scoring a 97th minute come-from-behind winner don't go loopy, then I'm giving up on football.

That's a nice line, but there's accounting for context, surely? The third game of the season. A come back against a team you should be comfortably beating. A team that should they get lucky and take the lead you would expect to come back and win anyway. And the fans are on the pitch? Nah. It's not that dramatic, there's not as much at stake. If that was Fergie's Man Utd I wouldn't expect he'd be happy for his team to celebrate like that. They shouldn't have been in the losing position in the first place.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Still funny though. Two ego's meet. One the thundercunt two the Butt Plug.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Because they'd faced 50+ minutes of time wasting, but still got vital three points in the last second. That was vital, otherwise a huge setback in their competition with favourites ManU. It was the big picture that mattered.

Vital? Huge setback? There's another 33 games to be played, ffs. Including both games against man utd.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Any ref that's known, and by the looks of it, deliberately cultivated his reputation as the ref with the "no look, yellow" deserves to be refereeing non-league football. He clearly has an extraordinarily large ego and that's a problem at this level. Compare and contrast with the recent refs we've had for Man Citeh and Leicester where both were excellent and virtually invisible.

Exactly. And even today - whilst we may argue with the odd decision - I thought he handled the game well and didn't make the game about him. I'm half terrified and half can't wait for the day Dean refs us again.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's a nice line, but there's accounting for context, surely? The third game of the season. A come back against a team you should be comfortably beating. A team that should they get lucky and take the lead you would expect to come back and win anyway. And the fans are on the pitch? Nah. It's not that dramatic, there's not as much at stake. If that was Fergie's Man Utd I wouldn't expect he'd be happy for his team to celebrate like that. They shouldn't have been in the losing position in the first place.

Was it body blow to your beloved ManUre running away with it, by any chance?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Was it body blow to your beloved ManUre running away with it, by any chance?

I have zero idea why you think I have any love for Man Utd, but putting that aside... Seriously? It's the 3rd game of the season. What is with your hype "vital" "huge setback" "body blow". Give over.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here