Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings Thread (Watford - A)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
This.
But i would say hemed played out of his skin today but hes not the level we need and gross was just very poor.

We have only played one home game, against a team funded by a country.

Let's see how we get on in our second and third home games.

I would be amazed if we didn't add to to our strike force next Thursday.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Really don't get the low ratings... Stephens gave away fouls, mostly due to dodgy ref and Propper had a bad last 10 mins but overall, they were so much better than they were in the previous 2 games. Suttner didn't start well but ended up doing a solid job.

Everyone did their bit today but we just couldn't score that goal.

Ryan 6 - Caught a few balls but nothing to do otherwise.

Bruno 6 - Good for Hughton to sub him off at ht having been booked and given a warning afterwards. Even if Naylor says it was due to back injury.
Duffy 8
Dunk 8 MOTM - We really do have a top defensive pairing
Suttner 6 - as above

Knockaert 7 - We look so much better attacking with him in the side even if he does go a bit too primadonna sometimes.
Stephens 7
Propper 7
March 6.5

Groß 7 - Personally I thought he did quite well today especially linking up with Knockaert.

Hemed 6.5 - Please don't sell him. I do think his effort could pay off eventually and he could be pivotal to us this season.

Rosenior 6
Izquierdo 7 - If his cameo is anything to go by, he could end up being a very very very good player. Not sure why we didn't bring him on sooner.
Murphy N/A

Totally this.
Was at game.
Came away with others saying Propper and Stephens starting to gel playing better. - generally a good game. Will certainly be a good pair.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
If you take 5 as average, how people are giving Propper anything above a 4 is beyond me.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Well how anyone can give him a 3 is beyond me. Ridiculously harsh.

After reading a whole load of daft/nasty posts over the past 3/4 weeks I think it will be one or more of the following:

* The know f**k all about football
* They wet beds frequently
* They don't have a decent job
* They haven't checked what one of the loudmouths has said and then regurgitated their sh*t
* They were at the game yesterday but forgot to highlight the fact
* They didn't have a ST at Gillingham

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If you take 5 as average, how people are giving Propper anything above a 4 is beyond me.

But you don't take 5 as average.
This is the biggest mistake that fans make when rating performance. For years, the industry accepted guideline ( accepted by the Press Association, Journo's and the rest of the media ) is as follows....

4......Poor.
5......Below Average.
6......Average.
7......Good.
8......Very Good.
9......Outstanding.

It is generally accepted that you mark in this range i.e 4 - 9. You don't drop below 4 as, by definition, this is worse than poor and no professional footballer deserves that. Equally, you never give 10, as no player is ever capable of an ' out of this world ' performance. It is down to the individual if half marks are awarded but this is a difficult area, as how do you find a level between good and very good?
An ' average ' performance by a player, is still, by definition, not a particularly praiseworthy effort. Therefore, giving a player 4 points is really a desperate mark, suggesting a performance not worthy of a professional. In a solid winning performance, you would expect the mark range to be between 7 and 9. In a worthy draw, as yesterday, you would expect the mark range to be between 6 and 8 and in a defeat, narrow or heavy, you would expect marks between 5 and 7.
This is pretty general stuff but the key is the benchmark for ' average ' If you put it at 5 then you are forced to mark down to a 3 ( poor ) and a peak of 8 ( outstanding ) This is a range deemed unacceptable within the industry and therefore the standard for ' average ' is set at 6.
Looking at a lot of the ratings on here for yesterday, I would suggest that they are a little harsh, considering the team played well for long periods of the game.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Much much more encouraging performance. Even before the sending off it looked as though we could hold our own against Watford. However CH delayed Izquierdo's introduction for far far too long. It was clear we would need something different to break down Watford and an introduction against ten men was obviously the ideal scenarion for him. Should have had 20 minutes minimum. The game highlighted again just how badly we need a striker or two.

Ryan 6. Not a lot to do, but looked confident.
Bruno 4. His passing was way off. Not his best 45 mins.
Duffy 7. Good strong performance.
Dunk 8. Immense. He has adjusted to the Premier League so well. MOM.
Suttner 5. Decent game but showed up for speed at the end when rescued by Jose.
Propper 6. Generally an improved performance as he gets used to this league and his team-mates. But a couple of very sloppy passes.
Stephens 6. Maybe a slight improvement on previous games, but needs to move the ball forwards.
Knockaert 7. BBC gave him man-of-the-match. He was good, but not up to Dunk's standards. Unlucky not to score.
March 7. Also adjusted well to this league.
Gross 6. An OK performance. Needs a better striker to play alongside.
Hemed 5. Unlucky with the shot that hit the post, but not up to the task in this division.

Subs:
Rosenior 6. Looked better than Tuesday. Clearly needs more game time.
Izquierdo 7. Very impressive. Why only ten minutes????
Murphy. Not on long enough to rate, but managed to turn attack into defense again as with the Leicester game.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The Sunday Times gave Britos a 1 :thumbsup:

Ridiculous mark that deserves as much condemnation as the tackle itself. It was a seriously dangerous challenge and as such it was poor play. Up until that point, Britos did little or nothing wrong but because of the ill-judged challenge, he has to be given the lowest acceptable mark, which is 4.
Journalists who choose to ignore accepted guidelines, do so for self-centred publicity reasons and not for showing some respect to a professional, who is normally a solid player but had one moment of pure abberation. I assume the same journalist would have given Zidane a similar mark for headbutting his opponent in the World Cup Final, irrespective of him already scoring in the game.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
respect to a professional, who is normally a solid player but had one moment of pure abberation

I don't disagree with that marking range at a general level but I have (sub) zero concerns about any damage to Britos feelings after seeing that tackle (coming from 10 yards away)

As for solid player it seems that he has been sent off 3 times in the last 11 home games and although the ratings are just for the game yesterday perhaps in the context of his previous thuggish behaviour?

Claude samdamme

Mar 8, 2014
Thought Propper was excellent yesterday aside from some misplaced passing near the end. Does everything very calmly and simply, and starting to build a good pairing with sale

Ryan - 7
Dunk - 9
Duffy - 7
Bruno - 6
Sutter - 7
Stephens - 7
Propper - 7
March - 6
Knockaert - 7
Hemed - 6
Gross - 4

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I only watched MOTD, but Hemed came really close hitting the post, when Izquierdo makes a excellent effort, which was miles out.
A little biased perhaps?

Hemed also hit one 6 inches wide of the post second half, under pressure.

boik

Love these threads! According to people on here Propper had his worst game so far, and his best game so far! I thought he was OK and showing signs of improving. I think he will adjust to the P/L and be a good player. He has to play to games to adjust, so we have to bear with his learning process, otherwise there's no point buying him. Gross needs runners for his game to work, so I think that is why he is not showing much.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Completely baffled by the negativity towards Pröpper... Apart from a couple of mistakes he was brilliant today, always turning into space and spraying pinpoint passes, and crucially always looking to go forward.

Which was the antithesis of Stephens, who still hasn't found his feet in the PL yet. I have no doubt he'll grow into it, but at the moment he still looks suspect in possession and isn't quite up to speed with the game..

Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one, and some of them stink.
I think Propper is much quicker at working out what it is he wants to do with the ball than Stephens, who is needing too long in possession. Unfortunately, at the moment Propper is not executing well enough, enough of the time, this will not last.
Stephens will get quicker at picking his passes, and Propper will get better at making his passes.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Totally this.
Was at game.
Came away with others saying Propper and Stephens starting to gel playing better. - generally a good game. Will certainly be a good pair.

Only saw the highlights on Sky so probably didn't get a rounded view of the game but emphasised again what a difference Knocky makes to our performance. Without him, we often look pretty average.

Thought Dunk looked terrific, March looked good, Izquierdo looked promising and Suttner looked fragile.

Looked a good performance overall and should boost confidence which has been sorely lacking in the first two games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Without reading the whole thread, I can only assume those people giving Propper low marks were either listening on the radio, or judging him on his first couple of games after being thrown in at the deep end.

He was good today. Constantly made himself available for the ball and his distribution was mainly excellent. He looks for forward passes more regularly than Stephens too. He misplaced one pass to Knockaert when we had a chance to break, but I applauded the effort as few if our players would even have attempted it.

He's got better with every game so far and, once he adjusts to the pace of the game here, will be a good player for us.

Gross is more concerning for me currently. He just seems so lightweight and lacking creativity. Hopefully he gets up to speed soon.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Ryan 7 Not much to do, but made some decent catches and his distribution was good. Still worries me, however.

Bruno 6 Started really well but then made a few errors. Correct decision to sub him when on a yellow.
Duffy 8 Very solid, as always.
Dunk 9.5 MOM. Outstanding. Not sure what he's doing taking free kicks at the other end of the pitch, though.
Suttner 6 Did OK I thought.
Knockaert 7.5 He is essential for us, but found it difficult to get past his man a few times yesterday.
Stephens 6 Not back to his best yet, seems slow and finding it difficult to make the step up, which is surprising given he was almost an EPL player last season. Got caught trying to turn with the ball in exactly the same way that led to Man City's first goal.
Propper 4 Perhaps I only notice the bad things? We passed it around nicely in midfield yesteday, so presumably he can't be that bad, but he did make a few absolute howlers being caught in possession and some woeful passes straight to the opposition.
March 7.5 Always lively.
Groß 6 - Did OK.
Hemed .6.5 Made a decent contribution yesterday and almost scored

Rosenior 5 Did OK as Bruno replacement, but lost the ball a few times.
Izquierdo 8 Excellent cameo, with one brilliant strike and tracking back for a superb tackle. He's going to be some player for us.
Murphy 3 Only remember him losing the ball when in an excellent position. I really don't understand what CH sees in him.

Overall performance: 8.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here