Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official Mayweather vs McGregor thread

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Cant really believe the hype this fight got. The general public must be silly/gullible to think Mcgregor had a chance.

All things considered, he did quite well, no worse than Ricky Hatton, who at least was a multiple world champion, and they both made a lot of money.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Cant really believe the hype this fight got. The general public must be silly/gullible to think Mcgregor had a chance.

All things considered, he did quite well, no worse than Ricky Hatton, who at least was a multiple world champion, and they both made a lot of money.

To be fair to Hatton though, had McGregor been fighting the FMJ of 2009, he'd have been stopped in the first 2 rounds no doubt. I almost got the impression Maywaether was carrying McGregor for a lot of that fight and could've finished it whenever he wanted after the 3rd round.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
To be fair to Hatton though, had McGregor been fighting the FMJ of 2009, he'd have been stopped in the first 2 rounds no doubt. I almost got the impression Maywaether was carrying McGregor for a lot of that fight and could've finished it whenever he wanted after the 3rd round.

TBF to Hatton. If Joe Cortez was not in charge, I believe he would of won the fight.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Hatton was a tough fight for Mayweather ahead on a lot of the pundits card even up to the knockout. The deducted point in the 6th was a when it started to fall apart. Hatton went gung ho face first and got picked off. Cortez was a disgrace that night.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Hatton was a tough fight for Mayweather ahead on a lot of the pundits card even up to the knockout. The deducted point in the 6th was a when it started to fall apart. Hatton went gung ho face first and got picked off. Cortez was a disgrace that night.
Hatton was miles behind on the judges score cards up to the KO. If I remember rightly, he won a few of the early rounds, similar to McGregor. Mayweather managed to tie Hatton up when he tried his hit and hold tactics on the ropes.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Thought I'd share the comments of a couple of fellas who know dramatically more than me:

McGregor didn't embarrass himself but Mayweather was treating that like a glorified spar session. I thought it was good entertainment.

I've never seen Mayweather with such a high guard dipping into the action. He normally uses his shoulder and leans out looking for openings, he just didn't seem at all concerned about what McGregor brought.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hatton was miles behind on the judges score cards up to the KO. If I remember rightly, he won a few of the early rounds, similar to McGregor. Mayweather managed to tie Hatton up when he tried his hit and hold tactics on the ropes.

I can't remember if it was HBO or Showtime but they had Hatton ahead up to the knockout. I felt he was behind but he made Mayweather work throughout.

The better man won but Cortez played far too big a role in the fight, broke them within seconds up close.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
As much as I think that the whole thing is a bit of a farce, and that all logic and common sense points to Mayweather winning comfortably, I have this nagging feeling that McGregor will win.

Glad you were proved wrong. I thought or at least hoped McGregor would have been sparked early but fair play to the loudmouth idiot he stayed longer for more punishment getting hammered in that final round before the ref stepped in.

Hope he's a little more humble after that but I doubt it as he's not the most intelligent. Best stick to his stock in trade MMA.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here