Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Elton on the Sitcom

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I've not been a great fan of his for some years, but Ben Elton is giving is cracking lecture on British comedy, the sitcom and what's changed year on year, he's even made me want to review my opinion on mrs browns boys, worth a look on iPlayer if you've missed it, The Ronnie Barker Comedy Lecture, BBC1 right now.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
I've not been a great fan of his for some years, but Ben Elton is giving is cracking lecture on British comedy, the sitcom and what's changed year on year, he's even made me want to review my opinion on mrs browns boys, worth a look on iPlayer if you've missed it, The Ronnie Barker Comedy Lecture, BBC1 right now.

I only started watching it as I forgot to change channels, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely recommended as a catch up.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He was very good, I did for a time get bored of him but he delivered that lecture brilliantly.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Thoroughly enjoyable.

Some discrepancies regarding the clips used to demonstrate 'studio based' comedy, but a good bit of television.

Well worth watching. I'll watch it again sober and hate it.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Enjoyable, but some "straw-man" arguments about studio sitcoms and multi-cameras. They're funny or they're not.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

boik

Jul 7, 2003
Just finished watching this. Very interesting and well balanced arguments even if I still don't like Mrs Brown!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Loved some of the quotes from TV critics about past comedy shows.
'This programme would have been greatly enhanced if they merged the opening titles with the end credits'.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here