Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our recruitment why leave our business so late?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It doesn't matter how much we want it done today - if the player we want isn't available until tomorrow for all the reasons that we have been through many times, then we will have to wait even if it's not ideal. It just isn't a case of going to the striker supermarket however much we want it to be.

The window opened on June 11th !

June 11th that is.

Have we really been waiting for a deal on a striker that can only be done on August 31st ?

Something has gone wrong here, for sure.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

June 11th that is.

Have we really been waiting for a deal on a striker that can only be done on August 31st ?

I'm quite sure it hasn't gone exactly to plan but then things rarely do - especially with strikers. It's exactly the same thing as Reading may be facing - they will only get Hemed if we get our strikers. Just the way things work annoyingly.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I'm quite sure it hasn't gone exactly to plan but then things rarely do - especially with strikers. It's exactly the same thing as Reading may be facing - they will only get Hemed if we get our strikers. Just the way things work annoyingly.

And of course we would have had one in already had he not failed the medical.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes. Our likely gross transfer fee spending this summer shows us in line or above all previous seasons promoted club spending so we presumably club had a bit of an idea.

So I was right then, our spend this summer is now above the average spend of promoted clubs last season, and for the past 5 seasons other than 2015. So much for PL ready!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So I was right then, our spend this summer is now above the average spend of promoted clubs last season, and for the past 5 seasons other than 2015. So much for PL ready!

Its obviously not an exact science between what you need to spend and nobody is completely sure how much of a causation between gross transfer spend or wages and position in the table. Not in the Champ for starters as Albion regularly finished in the top 6 or top 3 with only a top 10 budget.
You clearly fall into the spend more than we have so far camp!! We'll see. 36 hours to go.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

June 11th that is.

Not disputing that someone could have been signed earlier - but isn't it about getting the players you really want. Take Niasse as an example (I'm not sure he's high on our list or we'd have gone that one done sooner I'd have thought). But if he is/was and there are other clubs interested, there is absolutely no point in Everton doing business until the last minute because they know it's a seller's market on deadline day - and if not they can get him out somewhere on loan. Likewise, the player will keep his options confident he'll get a good deal somewhere - and probably a better deal than he'd have got a month ago. If not, he's still under contract so no disaster for him. If loads of strikers had moved that a) were the type we need b) had no better offers than a probable relegation battle and c) had wages affordable to a club that's starting its first PL season, there might be some reason for people to get uptight. Beyond Mounie (who may still turn out to be crap), I'm struggling to see who else fits that bill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here