Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our recruitment why leave our business so late?

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I hope I'm not being premature here but the biggest plus of this transfer window is we seemed to have kept Knockaert and Dunk . These are as important than any new signings , biggest mistake was letting Stockdale go , who was arguably our player of the season last year

Jan 10, 2014
There's a reason(s) why the transfer deadline day is the busiest day of the whole transfer window.

And it's not because clubs have purposely left it late, no club has ever done that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I hope I'm not being premature here but the biggest plus of this transfer window is we seemed to have kept Knockaert and Dunk . These are as important than any new signings , biggest mistake was letting Stockdale go , who was arguably our player of the season last year

Stockdale has 'fitness' problems. I wonder too if Hughton and his team didn't rate him as a PL first choice?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Stockdale was not up to to it

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In the last 24 hours on the Mirror transfer round up, there are stories about Everton, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Newcastle, Watford, Swansea, and Sevilla looking for strikers before Thursday. Big clubs, small clubs, relegation clubs, promoted clubs. And Brighton of course. Everyone late to the party it appears.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-news-live-barcelona-liverpool-10911741

As well as Spurs and CP.

Will this window finally kick off massively?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:facepalm:

We didn't 'let Stockdale go'. He got to the end of his contract and walked out. It's what people do when their contract ends, unless they want another one, which he didn't.

el punal

I personally believe the clubs recruitment team have bought in some good players, they have also bought in some shockers. But that's not my point.

Why haven't we completed all our business, look at Huddersfield business complete two results. We are bringing in big signings to late in my opinion and it will be extremely hard for them to bed into the team.

Here's a suggestion - why not phone up the club and advise them, "Hey, Recruitment Team. You're doing this all wrong. You've left all this recruiting too late, like, man, we're sooo way behind other teams that it sucks!"

Wow! I'm sure that they'll welcome your input and expertise in this great matter. :facepalm:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You for real?
We're a premiership club and why would another premiership club buy our unproven players?

Weird post as you'd think we was in the championship going by your post:glare:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
You for real?
We're a premiership club and why would another premiership club buy our unproven players?

Weird post as you'd think we was in the championship going by your post:glare:

We are not a Premiership club I repeat we are not a Premiership club for the love of God.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The simple fact is this. We are after a certain caliber of striker now. Premier League quality, but available, affordable and willing to come to a team who could well be relegated.

Our situation gives leverage to potential signings and their agents. They want to delay things until the last minute when the club are at their most desperate and likely to make concessions.

It's easy to whine because Huddersfield have done all of their business or because we've had "forever" to get a striker in. But you've got to remember that we do business the way Tony Bloom wants to do business. And so far, he's done a pretty fan****ingtastic job of running this club. We're going to try to get the right striker, the right personality, at the right price.

Sometimes that can be perceived as us having a bad back office, being indecisive or too cautious. But we're new to this and these deals take time. We should all have faith in Tony and his recruitment team and judge them after 10-15 games, not three.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks for your email. The Brighton & Hove Albion player recruitment team are out of the office on Monday 28th August, as it's a UK public holiday.

We will get back to you as soon as we can on Tuesday morning, particularly if your email is regarding a 15+ goal a season striker.

Regards,

Paul and the boys

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
You can't undervalue the role of the agents in the annual transfer merry-go-round. There will be a few rare jewels in Europe who slip under the radar but generally the vast majority of the prime players are being tracked by recruitment teams all over the world. The ones who fall into the high-value, high potential category will be pursued by numerous British clubs. Agents know this. Behind the scenes we have countless bidding wars going on, with agents fully aware that stock values rise sharply as we head to deadline days. Albion will have an interest in a few of these bidding rounds. TB will be showing his best poker face. Let's hope we have a few winning hands....

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
We should all have faith in Tony and his recruitment team and judge them after 10-15 games, not three.

True, and I would say judge after 38, but the fact is that TB does make mistakes, notably the GM/CMS farrago (yes he was doubtless heavily influenced by GP but at end of day he is Chairman...), and SH. The first more than conceivably cost us a PO place in 2012 and/or an auto promotion place in 2013; the second lost us at least a season and it could have been much worse had three teams not been even more dreadful than us.

Dont get me wrong, I am thrilled with what we have achived, proud of and very comfortable with our Board and club, and very grateful to TB. But as supporters we are entitled to be greedy and in sport where fine margins matter so much you cannot afford many mistakes. I really hope there is a happy ending but I am slightly uneasy that we have got the recruitment wrong this time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Begging the question:-

'What happens if those other deals don't go through?'

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I haven't read 16 pages, but we haven't left recruitment late, I think we were one of the first Prem clubs to sign someone when we got Gross. What we have left late, but by no fault of ours, is the centre forward position, which looks more and more vital. I love Hemed, he gives his all and is not short of confidence, but he lacks the noose we need up front sadly. We missed a 33 year old in Muzza yesterday. The team showed yesterday they can mix it, they have gone past the rabbits out of headlights start. We need a little less hoofball, but we're getting there. Dunk played some wonderful passes out of defence yesterday. We are missing the Jermaine Defoe type forward to complete our summer signings. Someone of his ilk can be the difference between survival and relegation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here