Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our recruitment why leave our business so late?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Overall it feels like we've spent most the night trying to pull the hot girls and now we just want to take someone home who isn't a complete rotter.

:lolol:

Quality football writing that deserves to be in the Sunday broadsheets!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
why not :shrug: Arguably we had done it already but two of our targets failed their medicals, so we have to keep working at it. We had five new players in our first XI of the season, more than any other side, so we're clearly doing something right as far as getting the required numbers in in time

Lets hope you are right. We wont have to wait very long to find out now, we have done it in previous seasons but do not have the fall back of the months loan period this season. We also have 8 less games to catch up on any points deficit.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think this is spot on. To be fair, our recruitment team have had several very good windows over the last couple of years. I'm sure that this one has been the most challenging to date, with the need to look beyond seasoned-Championship-class pros to those who stand half a chance of being good enough for the Premier League, yet fall within our budget and are not wanted by established PL clubs offering more money. There is still time, but the chronic lack of firepower, and what looks like a questionable decision on the keeper, may well cost us this year.

Not great time to have "one of those windows" though is it?

This is the first time we've had firepower in the transfer market and as far as I can see, we've made a complete hash of it.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
West Ham finding it tough? They pulled out of Carvalho due to fitness concerns not the price tag.

They have signed Zabaleta, Hart, Arnautovic and Hernandez. All seasoned PL players and regular internationals. They may be on P2 L2 but they have had very similar fixtures to us.

2 in 2 for Hernandez already is it?

I really don't think it's in the least bit comparable, their unrealistic fans are probably getting frustrated they haven't signed Mahrez to aid their push for CL football. I don't think it's unrealistic for our fans to suggest we should have improved our strikeforce since promotion.

Sensible post.

Hammers fans always moan (other than the Payet season). Their latest whinge is, in effect, that Gold and Sullivan don't spend like the new top 7. Completely unrealistic as the others either have billionaire owners and/or collosal club income.

Concerns are all relative to the size of the club, money and expectations.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I have been saying all summer that we have moved too slowly in the transfer market. Barber wnaking on and on about high prices. Well, the market price is the market price Mr Barber. Suck it up. Put up or shut up. OK, we have no control over a failed medical, but the lack of a decent striker or 2 has been a known problem for about 2 years, so where we are now is inexcusable...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It seems like we've had "one of those" windows. The failed pursuit for Tammy (£1m golden hello looks cheap now) and Delaney, 2 failed medicals and none of the signings so far exactly tearing it up (and one or two looking decidedly concerning). To those saying you can't compare to 'udds results that's true - but you can say that Mounie, Mooy and the new GK whose name I can't remember look - at this stage - better bits of business than anything we've managed - and were done early. With a few days to go we're two strikers and a powerful midfielder short of a squad that has a chance to compete (and possibly a GK as well if we have bought a dud) so as fans I think it's fair to be disappointed with that whilst not nessarily also thinking that's the result of our recruitment team being rubbish - I'm sure they're also disappointed with where we're at. Overall it feels like we've spent most the night trying to pull the hot girls and now we just want to take someone home is isn't a complete rotter.

In contrast, I'm pretty impressed. Signing Stephens to a new deal is every bit as impressive as Hudds making their acquisition of Mooy permanent, and is £10 million cheaper. We got Gross in very early, then Ryan, Suttner and Brown followed in smart time. I think Ryan is going to be an excellent goalkeeper, people having a go at him because he didn't save a bullet header from his own player three yards out and then parried a sharp shot just in front of him in the next game are just letting their nerves get the better of them, in my opinion. Then we get Propper and Izquierdo just before the season starts, two players with top top pedigree and whilst all these signings have been happening we've signed 6 or 7 excellent looking young players, several of which we might be seeing enter the first team picture later in the season, have tied Dunk, Knockaert, Baldock and Duffy up to long-term deals, not lost ANY of our key players for the third successive pre-season (with the exception of Stockdale, if you will, but otherwise have to go back to losing Ulloa for that), and have the promising Tilley and Molumby playing with the first team and Walton impressing on loan at Wigan. We had more players making their first team debut on the opening weekend than any other premier league team, which demonstrates that we did do a lot of business early, unlike perceptions, but also means that they will take time to bed in. Luckily for us, our first two games were virtual write-offs anyway, so we had that time available to us, unlike Huddersfield, but fair play to them. We should also stop looking at everything we do through a Huddersfield-related prism, I hope there are three worst teams than both of us this season, but there is a very very long way to go and things can change very quickly in the premier league.

I am indeed disappointed about the Dwamena deal falling through, mainly because I was very excited about him, he looked the real deal and as far as comparing our African strikers of recent vintage, considerably more exciting than the last fellow that you memoralise in your username. But I'm not disappoinAnd because of that I am sure our recruitment team is indeed disappointed at this moment. But we know they are professional, have a very wide reach, are keeping tabs on loads of players, and are capable of working on more than one thing at once, so I am confident in them.

The future is bright and I am basking in it, and I am going to have a very enjoyable season whatever happens.

:flounce: :flounce:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I have been saying all summer that we have moved too slowly in the transfer market. Barber wnaking on and on about high prices. Well, the market price is the market price Mr Barber. Suck it up. Put up or shut up. OK, we have no control over a failed medical, but the lack of a decent striker or 2 has been a known problem for about 2 years, so where we are now is inexcusable...

Barber or rather Bloom have literally just put up or shut up and agreed to pay the market price and "sucked it up. "
£10/12m is astonishing for a pretty inexperienced but promising 21 year old Swiss League Player . (Who sadly has to rethink his career now)

They're doing what you want B.W ?

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Whether you are happy or not with the timings and quality of the signings to date no one can deny that we are up against it now time wise and maybe target wise as regards strikers. Any failures in this area in the next 5 days will render any argument about the success of the window or players signed pretty meaningless since we simply can't compete with our current forward options.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Barber or rather Bloom have literally just put up or shut up and agreed to pay the market price and "sucked it up. "
£10/12m is astonishing for a pretty inexperienced but promising 21 year old Swiss League Player . (Who sadly has to rethink his career now)

:D he's in rant mode everything is inexcusable

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sensible post.

Hammers fans always moan (other than the Payet season). Their latest whinge is, in effect, that Gold and Sullivan don't spend like the new top 7. Completely unrealistic as the others either have billionaire owners and/or collosal club income.

Concerns are all relative to the size of the club, money and expectations.

That's a sensible thoughtful post too

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Yes, but belatedly, after seemingly not recognising that they had to spend big to survive (Barber bleating like a spoilt child about prices)...

The striker situation is the one I find inexcusable and, no, not because of a failed medical, but rather because the problem should have been sorted at the very start of the window (or, in fact, earlier)...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It's a **** up not bringing in a striker or 2 before pre season.

We effectively wrote first few games off and god knows what we are Down to with options now . Yes that guy failed the medical but lets face it , he was a panic buy and a massive massive risk .

Season hinges on the next week

We may have to chuck some serious money somewhere and get it done

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
When you think a Sunday and BH Monday are involved it seriously reduces the chances of signings. Tilley, Molumby etc now is your chance to blossom and shine until January anyway

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
:D he's in rant mode everything is inexcusable

Genuinely really hate to say it, but I told you so... have been telling all the 'club are perfect' blinkered posters on here that the club are moving too slowly for months...

Want to be clear that I'm not criticising the quality of our acquisitions tho'...

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
It's a **** up not bringing in a striker or 2 before pre season.

We effectively wrote first few games off and god knows what we are Down to with options now . Yes that guy failed the medical but lets face it , he was a panic buy and a massive massive risk .

Season hinges on the next week I really do feel let

We may have to chuck some serious money somewhere and get it done

I think what gets to me is the video either by Bloom or Barber, prior to promotion being won, stating that plans for player recruitment were well advanced for if we were in the Premier League and another if we were in the Championship again. This said to me that players had been identified for either scenario and players that were in their last six months of their contracts were already being spoken to about the possibility of joining us. The top targets had to be strikers as this was the top target the previous January. So the fact we have still been unable to bring one striker in just with 5 days of the window left I find very hard to take when discussions of how well the recruitment team performs.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Yes that guy failed the medical but lets face it , he was a panic buy

There were reports we'd made a initial bid weeks ago, and have been tracking him for months. Just sounds like fairly normal business and normal amount of time to get done (a couple of bids, a bit of a stand off from them until price agreed) or what goes for normal in a window when Chris Wood is a £15m+ player. Hardly a "panic buy"

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here