Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our recruitment why leave our business so late?

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
. I love Hemed, he gives his all and is not short of confidence, but he lacks the noose we need up front sadly..

He can borrow mine

IMG_0112.PNG

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
True, and I would say judge after 38, but the fact is that TB does make mistakes, notably the GM/CMS farrago (yes he was doubtless heavily influenced by GP but at end of day he is Chairman...), and SH. The first more than conceivably cost us a PO place in 2012 and/or an auto promotion place in 2013; the second lost us at least a season and it could have been much worse had three teams not been even more dreadful than us.

Dont get me wrong, I am thrilled with what we have achived, proud of and very comfortable with our Board and club, and very grateful to TB. But as supporters we are entitled to be greedy and in sport where fine margins matter so much you cannot afford many mistakes. I really hope there is a happy ending but I am slightly uneasy that we have got the recruitment wrong this time.

What mistakes has he made this time?

What entitles us to be greedy?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
What mistakes has he made this time?

Possibly leaving the striker situation so late - as I said It may be OK but we are in serious situation if no-one gets signed, and will pay top dollar if someone is.

What entitles us to be greedy?
Perhaps entitlement is wrong word - maybe dreaming for as much success as quickly as possible is more like it.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
dunno if already said but don't think we have left our recruitment late. we have been very unlucky to have 2 players fail medicals and have also signed quite a few players. I know we have not got that forward yet but have been trying. And the window is still open another couple days. more players will become available as team release once making their other signings.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Possibly leaving the striker situation so late - as I said It may be OK but we are in serious situation if no-one gets signed, and will pay top dollar if someone is.

Perhaps entitlement is wrong word - maybe dreaming for as much success as quickly as possible is more like it.

How do you know that we haven't been on the case of a number of strikers for many, many weeks? Just because we haven't signed one, it doesn't mean we haven't been trying. Do you really believe they have made a mistake and deliberately left it late?

We all dream about success, but surely with realism rather than entitlement or greed?

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
if the papers are to be believed, The are more players turning us down then the ones we can afford at the moment. The whole Strengthening of the squad is nowhere near premier league ready.

And now a goalkeeper has turned us down, who would of easily been competion for Ryan. The whole situation is grim.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
if the papers are to be believed, The are more players turning us down then the ones we can afford at the moment. The whole Strengthening of the squad is nowhere near premier league ready.

And now a goalkeeper has turned us down, who would of easily been competion for Ryan. The whole situation is grim.

Nothing like a bit of optimism

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Nothing like a bit of optimism

I was saying back in June we need to get our signings complete early , but as usual it will be a last minute desperate signing or nothing, we are not premier league ready even in to the 4th game of the season , we all knew what we needed but looks like we are going to run out of time , fail to prepare , prepare to fail

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Are you the latest to come on here just to moan. We do lack negative trolls on here.

By the way, believing everything you read in the paper is not necessarily a good idea!

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Our owner one would assume made the cash to pay for the ground via holding his nerve and taking a few risks - obviously very good at this

So no reason to doubt taking same approach to player fees - those holding out for higher amounts we won't pay will change their minds when only 48 hours until window closes

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Do you really believe they have made a mistake and deliberately left it late?

No, of course not. Did I say that? I was responding to a post that said (in summary) keep the faith, believe in TB. If you follow the thread, I agree, the guy is a saviour for us, but my point is that TB can make mistakes. Tony Cascarino in Times a couple of weeks ago made point that our refusal to pay more than £40k pw may make life difficult; I dont know where he got that info from and even whether it is true but there is nothing in the recruitment process to date that suggests he is incorrect. TB has himself said that he has been surprised by the level of fees and wages required for PL. We have spent big, and may well spend big this week. I will gladly come on here and admit my concern was completely unfounded come Thursday at 2330 but there is something in my mind that just isn't quite right. I have put on another thread that we should perhaps have taken a chance on Dwamena given the situation and Zurich's response.

Answer your own question and if it is no, answer why we are in this situation - is it just bad luck?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We are cautious and unwilling, like pretty much all other PL clubs, to be ripped off or pay beyond our own valuation. If that means relegation I guess that's the way it's going to be .....frustrating but at least we'll still have a club at the end of it.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have been saying all summer that we have moved too slowly in the transfer market. Barber wnaking on and on about high prices. Well, the market price is the market price Mr Barber. Suck it up. Put up or shut up. OK, we have no control over a failed medical, but the lack of a decent striker or 2 has been a known problem for about 2 years, so where we are now is inexcusable...

The PL market is what it is and I would have expected Barber to have realized that. You are NOT going to get a PL standard goalscorer for £5m. We could have got a pacey, big striker with a huge amount of potential for a £1m bung.

We are now so close to the deadline we will end up fighting for scraps. The prices are going to go up because every club now realises how desperate we are to sign a PL standard goalscorer.

18 chances against 10 men Saturday and we still couldn't score. That is really worrying.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We are cautious and unwilling, like pretty much all other PL clubs, to be ripped off or pay beyond our own valuation. If that means relegation I guess that's the way it's going to be .....frustrating but at least we'll still have a club at the end of it.

Yes but this is only one player. Why not really push out the boat and spend big bucks?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Why leave it so late... ?....

Because its really exciting :)

If for one am thrilled we are involved in the last minute scramble.... i know i know its against everything that is sensible...

But for me its fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here