Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our recruitment why leave our business so late?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The PL market is what it is and I would have expected Barber to have realized that. You are NOT going to get a PL standard goalscorer for £5m. We could have got a pacey, big striker with a huge amount of potential for a £1m bung.

We are now so close to the deadline we will end up fighting for scraps. The prices are going to go up because every club now realises how desperate we are to sign a PL standard goalscorer.

18 chances against 10 men Saturday and we still couldn't score. That is really worrying.

OK, who could and should we have bought? And why single out Barber? It's not his money! Surely the Chairman is at fault for not throwing limitless money at the problem?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Why is the striker transfer business being transacted late? Simply becuase this is the hardest position to fill. There is a limited pool of players to choose from and we are at the back of the queue as a newly promoted side considered a near certainty for relegation by most pundits (and I assume agents looking for landing spots for their players).

Whilst I am frustrated by the situation, particularly when our strikeforce is down to one, I am not in the least bit surprised. As deadline approaches our leverage increases with those players and clubs holding out for better deals and thus we have to sweat it out until the last minute.

Also it must be said if two medicals had been passed we'd be two players further along in the acquisition stakes, when combined with those we did buy early the club can hardly be accused of dragging its feet.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
I wonder if Barber is now regretting not paying the £1m loan fee for Abraham's ?
Especially as I've read Everton are looking for £750k loan fee for Niasse.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hard to legislate for two players failing their medicals. The best laid plans etc. You're always going to be playing catch-up when that happens. Maybe time that all players came with a compulsory full service log to ensure that all previous medical history is on record.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I wonder if Barber is now regretting not paying the £1m loan fee for Abraham's ?

Wasn't it more to do with that everything was agreed. He then asked for the loan fee. If he'd been upfront from the start regarding the fee we may well have agreed to it. I wouldn't deal with someone that changed the term of an agreed deal.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
I'm pretty sure the club are and have been doing all they can to get the players in,get a grip,buckle up and enjoy the ride

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Anybody been watching Sky transfer update, several other prem clubs are also trying to get a centre forward. Have all their teams also be doing nothing all summer like a lot of people are claiming ours havent

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

We would only of been matching Swansea though. I epect they still would of won as more established and viewed as a bigger club.,

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Anybody been watching Sky transfer update, several other prem clubs are also trying to get a centre forward. Have all their teams also be doing nothing all summer like a lot of people are claiming ours havent

any other sides with just 1 fit ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having got quite wound up about this lack of strikers of the required quality, I have now moved to "**** it, if it happens it happens, if it doesn't we are 100% getting relegated"

Not even stressed any more. I am sure they have done their very best at all levels, whether it will be good enough we'll soon know. I just don't want to hear loads of excuses if we fail though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
100% relegated? Absolute poppycock! We may be more likely than most other PL clubs to go down, but 100%? No, at this stage that's just bollocks. 10 points adrift with three games to go, that would be 100% - but 17th. place after three games.....there's only one thing that's certain at this stage, and that is that nothing is certain yet.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
100% relegated? Absolute poppycock! We may be more likely than most other PL clubs to go down, but 100%? No, at this stage that's just bollocks. 10 points adrift with three games to go, that would be 100% - but 17th. place after three games.....there's only one thing that's certain at this stage, and that is that nothing is certain yet.

So with NO new proven strikers you would still give us a chance of staying up? OK :shrug:

I am sure we'll get some strikers, whether they are of the required quality is the important point

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm not really going out on a limb here because the striker shortage happens every transfer window, so I think we'll be panicking again this time next year, 2019, 2020, 2021...It's almost a non story at the Albion because of the same old same old regardless of who's manager or head of player recruitment.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I'm not really going out on a limb here because the striker shortage happens every transfer window, so I think we'll be panicking again this time next year, 2019, 2020, 2021...It's almost a non story at the Albion because of the same old same old regardless of who's manager or head of player recruitment.

Been happening since Poyet and the SPECIAL striker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here