Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exams grades

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Being an OAP the grading of exam results has changed somewhat. In my day everybody needed A & B to pass what is the criteria now.

Only 311 posts to go BG............:whistle:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
In my day, which is after yours, the Oxford O levels, I took at Hove County Grammar for Girls, were marked in numbers 1-8. 1-6 were passes, 7&8 were failures.

My granddaughter got her marks yesterday, which were still in the A*, A, B, and C format.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Being an OAP the grading of exam results has changed somewhat. In my day everybody needed A & B to pass what is the criteria now.

I thought maybe in your day it would have been 1-9 with 1-6 being passes...'in my day' it was A-E with A-C being passes...these were only introduced in 1975...you sure you weren't on the former?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
In my day, which is after yours, the Oxford O levels, I took at Hove County Grammar for Girls, were marked in numbers 1-8. 1-6 were passes, 7&8 were failures.

My granddaughter got her marks yesterday, which were still in the A*, A, B, and C format.
I thought they had changed it to 1-9?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I am reasonably sure that I read that everybody passes now, so as to not upset the less academic but the pass is on grades A - D so D although ' a pass' is not recognised by many as such or did I read this wrongly.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
There are clearly some very young people posting here. In my day it was only pass or fail each subject.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Only English and Maths has gone over to the new 9-1 grading. I am not sure that all schools have issued those grades though. A 4 is the equivalent of a C grade under the previous grading system. A 5 and above is considered a good pass. I believe next year every subject will be graded 9-1

edexcel.png

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I thought they had changed it to 1-9?

Not at every school it seems. I've seen other people on Facebook give their children/grandchildren's grades out as letters.
I think it may be that some exam boards haven't changed their system.

As BG says, he's an OAP but got letter grades; I'm an OAP, but got number grades (which were reversed from the modern ones ie 1 being the best grade) As I pointed out in my previous post, my exam board was Oxford.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I thought the new 9-1 grades applied to English Lit & Lang and maths whilst all other subjects retained the alphabetical gradings. But it appears not. A work colleague's grand-daughters English & Maths were graded alphabetically.

Can only presume that it depends on the board setting the exam.

No wonder everybody is confused!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I am reasonably sure that I read that everybody passes now, so as to not upset the less academic but the pass is on grades A - D so D although ' a pass' is not recognised by many as such or did I read this wrongly.

Talking bollocks as usual. Pass grade is A-C. New grading system for English and Maths is 9-1: 4 is the equivalent of a C pass. There are now more subdivisions for A-C than there were before.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought maybe in your day it would have been 1-9 with 1-6 being passes...'in my day' it was A-E with A-C being passes.
Not sure about that. For A levels, A - E were passes, then under that an F may have been a fail with a U ungraded (or something like that).
O levels were the same, except you needed grade C or above for it to count for some further education (but D and E weren't fails I don't think).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not at every school it seems. I've seen other people on Facebook give their children/grandchildren's grades out as letters.
I think it may be that some exam boards haven't changed their system.

As BG says, he's an OAP but got letter grades; I'm an OAP, but got number grades (which were reversed from the modern ones ie 1 being the best grade) As I pointed out in my previous post, my exam board was Oxford.

The letter grades only came in at 1975 ..not sure how BG got them

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not sure about that. For A levels, A - E were passes, then under that an F may have been a fail with a U ungraded (or something like that).
O levels were the same, except you needed grade C or above for it to count for some further education (but D and E weren't fails I don't think).

Correct.....but i remember employers not seeing D and E as passes

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought maybe in your day it would have been 1-9 with 1-6 being passes...'in my day' it was A-E with A-C being passes...these were only introduced in 1975...you sure you weren't on the former?

Sorry I wasnt very clear the assessment was 1-9 but I converted that to what I thought was modern day terminology of A - B . I should stick with the old format.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here