Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hot water boiler question

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We've been away for three weeks (bad fan) and just came home today.

She who knows how the hot water and heater settings work (or so she thought) adjusted the hot water settings so that it was only being heated for 1 minute per day, for the simple reason of not spending money on heating water we'd not be using.

It transpired that she got it wrong, and the hot water has been heated for 5 1/2 hours each and every day for the past three weeks.

Is the boiler/cylinder thing likely to have some sort of settings or thermostat that mean when the water reaches a certain temperature, it will disengage, or will it have been going flat out for 5 1/2 hours each and every day.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

She who knows how the hot water and heater settings work (or so she thought) adjusted the hot water settings so that it was only being heated for 1 minute per day, for the simple reason of not spending money on heating water we'd not be using.

It transpired that she got it wrong, and the hot water has been heated for 5 1/2 hours each and every day for the past three weeks.

Is the boiler/cylinder thing likely to have some sort of settings or thermostat that mean when the water reaches a certain temperature, it will disengage, or will it have been going flat out for 5 1/2 hours each and every day.

I'm not sure.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

Yes, normally, for sure.
Post some ID Pics of boiler and cylinder if you can

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I must admit to being somewhat surprised that you delegate technical issues like boiler mechanics to the "trouble" - is she a qualified gas fitter?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The cylinder will have a thermostat on it so it will only heat it to a set temperature (in my house SWMBO has had this set so showers are a similar heat to the sun's core). Cylinders are quite well insulated so it won't have cost a fortune.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007

Why didn't you just turn it off.?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

You're ****ed mate. Sell the house and leave the country I would.

Hope this helps.

Lots of Love
XXXX

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why didn't you just turn it off.?

Me, personally? I have no idea how the heating or hot water things work.

Her? I could ask, but it's all quite a sensitive subject here currently. **** it - I'll ask. Hold the line caller...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Was there steam belching through the roof when you got home.

If not, there is probably a thermostat, as mentioned above, on the water tank whichkept things under control...... as per normal.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I estimate this has cost you ~£5

Cylinder size: 100 l
Energy to heat up 100 l of water to 60 C: 100*1000*4.2*50 = 21,000 kJ ~5.8 kWh
Over three weeks : 5.8*21 = 122 kWh
Cost: 122*0.04 = £4.90 plus a bit for lossess

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Get Hive and you control the heating, hot water and lights if you buy them from Hive. Brilliant system if you spend any time away from home.

Pretty sure the hot water would have turned itself off after reaching temperature though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here