Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Viktor Gyökeres

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
£1m doesn't seem like a lot, but given the amount we have spent already, it's starting to mount up. I'm just concerned about how much we're spending and where it's being spent - if we do, and we are likely to be relegated, how much could we recoup in sales? We are one of the highest spenders this season already, I can't be the only one concerned by the amount we're spending?

Granted, TB and Barber are giants in their respective fields - but it is a big gamble.

Aren't we spending all this money in the hope of avoiding relegation? Or to put it another way, if we hadn't spent we would definitely have been relegated.

If we are, we have parachute payments and will probably be able to cash in massively on some of our players.

Not worried, more concerned that we are going to be playing defensive football for the next eight months

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A million doesn't get you much these days on this evidence. Runs into players and shoots when he should pass.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
£1m doesn't seem like a lot, but given the amount we have spent already, it's starting to mount up. I'm just concerned about how much we're spending and where it's being spent - if we do, and we are likely to be relegated, how much could we recoup in sales? We are one of the highest spenders this season already, I can't be the only one concerned by the amount we're spending?

Granted, TB and Barber are giants in their respective fields - but it is a big gamble.

Not really. All first team players, except maybe Suttner, are young enough that they should increase in value, especially if they make any impact on the Premier League. We are not throwing money away on 30 plus year old players.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Aren't we spending all this money in the hope of avoiding relegation? Or to put it another way, if we hadn't spent we would definitely have been relegated.

If we are, we have parachute payments and will probably be able to cash in massively on some of our players.

Not worried, more concerned that we are going to be playing defensive football for the next eight months

next six months and when we are a lost cause and down, we can then finally play with some swagger and freedom.....

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The manager is Chris Houghton and in the club becomes Gykeres team-mate, including Rohan Ince, Shane Duffy and Steve Sidwell. /QUOTE]

That is a random list of our players to pick out as team mates!

I thought that too. I assume Rohan Ince must be well known in Sweden (or maybe they just confused Sweden with Swindon after his loan spell there last season).

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Seems crazy doesn't it? paying £1m just for a player to join the Development Squad, even in this day and age.

Look on it as investment. Chelsea and others make a small fortune at it.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

Of course we are, but I'm concerned we've spent too much! I also understand the defensive football worry.

Not really. All first team players, except maybe Suttner, are young enough that they should increase in value, especially if they make any impact on the Premier League. We are not throwing money away on 30 plus year old players.
Yes, I know - I understand I didn't make this point in my original post, just a general concern we could do a Simon Parish...though I trust TB to be more sensible, I still have my concerns
Ha. First post on NSC so far that says we're spending too much as opposed to not enough (see NSC May - Aug)
Always a first! I've always maintained who we sign rather than how much, but sometimes I worry a little.
A lot of these players will have sell on values, it's not like we are plundering money which we will never get back. I wouldn't worry too much about the clubs future with Barber overseeing things, he is incredibly experienced.
I suppose I mistakenly omitted their ages, seeing Jose and Propper are mid-20s.
Likely to be relegated? Hang on, we're only two games into the season, let's give ourselves a chance.
Every newly promoted team is likely to be relegated, nature of the beast.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
#prayforwarren

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Unfortunately like most clubs 99% of players promoted to/purchased for the development squad will be sold on for (hopefully) a profit. Only a small few will actually make the grade for first team.

Our academy/dev squad is another way of making money, as well as trying to find the next Solly March.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Mental isn't it! £1m youth players.

We are a completely different club to the one I'm used to. I think we signed Garry Nelson for £70k from Plymouth, how much would his equivalent fetch these days?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Mental isn't it! £1m youth players.

We are a completely different club to the one I'm used to. I think we signed Garry Nelson for £70k from Plymouth, how much would his equivalent fetch these days?

Most definately add an extra zero l would think, if not more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here