Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Socks and sandals

Is it acceptable for a man to sport socks with sandals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My wife would agree with the OP's wife, and so do I.

But apart from anything else, if I wear sandals, which doesn't happen very often, it's because it is warm and I want my feet to be cool, so wearing socks would be a bit daft.

On the surface, i would agree. However, what about those in between times where the temperature is neither hot nor cold? Socks and sandals would seem to be the happy medium.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Where I work we used to have a department full of academics called 'Scholarship & Collections' abbreviated to S&C. I always called it 'S&S' because socks and sandals seemed to be obligatory preferably with a alarming colour clash between socks and trousers. It is an abomination and thankfully dying out here.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
...where do we all stand on the "knotted handkerchief on head" matter?

Fine, if worn by stereotypical lathe operator from the West Midlands, on holiday to the South or South West or Blackpool or Skegness, with wife and two children. The latter need to be paddling in the surf. The former needs to be reclining in a deck chair, studying that day's racing form in the Sun or Mirror. Trousers are normally rolled to mid-calf and shirt sleeves are rolled up to elbow.
Conversation with the ' next door family on the beach ' is essential. " Not joining the others in the water, then? "..." Not me...too bloody cold....I'm fine here, thank you very much " The rest of the week demands a nod of acknowledgement in the direction of the same next door family on the beach but no conversation. He has to work out his bets before his missus returns to the beach towel and declares..." Jim, be a sweet and go get the kids some ice-creams "..." don't you want one ? "...." oh well, if you're going, you may as well bring one back for you and me as well "
Jim waits a couple a minutes until his missus is fully engrossed smothering the kids and then herself in sun-cream and then slips away. He has already sussed where the nearest bookies is located. Across the promenade and at the top of the high street. He returns, eventually, with four ice-creams. " You've been a long time " says his missus. " Yeah, long queue " says Jim.
Jim replaces his knotted hankie on his head, finishes his ice-cream and closes his eyes, pleased with himself that his plans went without a hitch. " Kids, you're Dad wants a snooze, go and paddle some more "
Jim dozes and thinks about his accumulator and the woman next to them on the beach, who possesses an exceptionally fine bosom.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The vast majority of sandals are pretty hideous anyway but to wear them with socks is to heap a no-taste abomination on top of another no-taste abomination! No no no no no no no.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
22 years you have been arguing this ?........

I give you something, you stick to your guns ! even though I suspect you know you have been wrong for those 22 years..

Fine, if worn by stereotypical lathe operator from the West Midlands, on holiday to the South or South West or Blackpool or Skegness, with wife and two children. The latter need to be paddling in the surf. The former needs to be reclining in a deck chair, studying that day's racing form in the Sun or Mirror. Trousers are normally rolled to mid-calf and shirt sleeves are rolled up to elbow.
Conversation with the ' next door family on the beach ' is essential. " Not joining the others in the water, then? "..." Not me...too bloody cold....I'm fine here, thank you very much " The rest of the week demands a nod of acknowledgement in the direction of the same next door family on the beach but no conversation. He has to work out his bets before his missus returns to the beach towel and declares..." Jim, be a sweet and go get the kids some ice-creams "..." don't you want one ? "...." oh well, if you're going, you may as well bring one back for you and me as well "
Jim waits a couple a minutes until his missus is fully engrossed smothering the kids and then herself in sun-cream and then slips away. He has already sussed where the nearest bookies is located. Across the promenade and at the top of the high street. He returns, eventually, with four ice-creams. " You've been a long time " says his missus. " Yeah, long queue " says Jim.
Jim replaces his knotted hankie on his head, finishes his ice-cream and closes his eyes, pleased with himself that his plans went without a hitch. " Kids, you're Dad wants a snooze, go and paddle some more "
Jim dozes and thinks about his accumulator and the woman next to them on the beach, who possesses an exceptionally fine bosom.

You've been stalking me! :eek::thumbsup::smile:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
22 years you have been arguing this ?........

I give you something, you stick to your guns ! even though I suspect you know you have been wrong for those 22 years..
Haha, yeah 22 years is a long time. We argued yesterday evening just as we were driving to a friend's house. Kind of spoiled the start of the evening. I promised I'd not wear socks and sandals again and dutifully removed the offending articles from my feet.

However all successful marriages are based on a bit of give and take. For that reason, at 6 am this morning, when I couldn't sleep, it seemed only right to order the laptop I'd had my eyes on the past few months....

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
On the surface, i would agree. However, what about those in between times where the temperature is neither hot nor cold? Socks and sandals would seem to be the happy medium.

In those circumstances, I would not bother moving out of shoes. I have never as an adult worn socks with sandals, but then I'm not a particularly sandal type of person....... not being a bearded liberal, just to evoke the full stereotype.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I would not personally but people should wear what they want and not give a s**t what anyone else thinks.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
going on how many people wear them I'm probably in a minority on this but I ****ing hate sandals. Hate, hate, HATE them. They are stupid, ugly, horrible ****ers. The only thing worse than sandals are socks and sandals.

So you and your wife are both wrong. That said your wife is at least trying to make the best of a bad situation.

sandals don't like my feet so hate, hate, HATE them too

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I`m in the minority then....Don`t like bare feet so socks with sandals is the only way I wear Sandals,apart from on or near Beach when I do go sockless!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here