Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney Retires........

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Sensible mature decision, he's had his time, now wants to concentrate on Everton and give younger players a chance with the National team. Whatever you think of him, he has a fantastic International record. Sadly never hit again the heights of Euro 2004 before his injury, in an England shirt.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Can't say I blame him, England's highest ever goalscorer and all he seemed to get was abuse for it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sensible mature decision, he's had his time, now wants to concentrate on Everton and give younger players a chance with the National team. Whatever you think of him, he has a fantastic International record. Sadly never hit again the heights of Euro 2004 before his injury, in an England shirt.

His record outside big tournament finals is fantastic but when it came to the important matches he has been left wanting for a while - probably since the South Africa World Cup. Since then his attitude hasn't been brilliant either. Glad he's retired from playing for England to be honest.

I remember Beckham saying when asked after not being selected for England if he was going to retire.

He replied saying he would never retire and always be available to play, he would crawl on his hands and Knees to wherever we played for the opportunity to represent his Country.

They don't make them like that anymore.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I remember Beckham saying when asked after not being selected for England if he was going to retire.

He replied saying he would never retire and always be available to play, he would crawl on his hands and Knees to wherever we played for the opportunity to represent his Country.

They don't make them like that anymore.

Didnt Rooney go on record as saying he wanted to play in the World Cup in Russia. So something or body changed his mind for him. Either way I think it is the correct decision.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Obviously told he wasnt being recalled to the squad so got in first.

It's incredible how you just manage to get 100% of things wrong.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
How is that 100% wrong it seems so obvious to me as he wouldnt have done it if Southgate had said he was naming him in the squad, One would assume that the players get told the squad before it is announced to the press.

Oh FFS :lolol:

Read the article

"It was great Gareth Southgate called me this week to tell me he wanted me back in the England squad for the upcoming matches. I really appreciated that.

However, having already thought long and hard, I told Gareth that I had now decided to retire for good from international football."

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
How is that 100% wrong it seems so obvious to me as he wouldnt have done it if Southgate had said he was naming him in the squad, One would assume that the players get told the squad before it is announced to the press.

Southgate did ask him to be involved. Brilliant stuff.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Rooney. I'm not his biggest fan but have to admit he is one the players I'm looking forward to seeing this season and happy he moved to guarantee a place in the Everton team.
May also be one of only a very very few I would clap off the pitch as per a previous thread.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Wayne.. I would like to recall you to the squad, but you will have to sit on the bench and watch Livermore, Ward-Prowse and Lingaard jog around before i give you 10 mins is that ok...

Nah, i will give it a miss gaffer, I am better than all 3 put together on one leg but you crack on...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here