Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney Retires........

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
:nono:

Say it isn't so Wayne. Sad day, plenty of happy memories of him in an England shirt although sadly he's not performed at the final tournaments having burned himself out through the season with United.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No pun intended.
It was always 'the elephant in the (changing) room'
As his pace and place in the England team was always up for debate, he has made the decision that nobody really wanted to make or tell him.
Great ambassador for English football in the vein of scoring goals, but not always the media darling, for things he's done off the pitch.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Totally committed and passionate player. Wore his heart on his sleeve.

As usual, people tried to knock him down, but I always had respect for him.

Time for someone else to carry a failing team on their shoulders. Imagine just how great Rooney would have been in a strong team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wait for it:-

"I got that wrong, my mistake I'm sorry for doubting other posters"

is just being written right now.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
With Diana's 20th anniversary coming up, Brucie exiting stage left, this is all we needed as a nation. 3 points on Saturday please Chrissy or i'll be cracking open a few bottles:wozza:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why does BG always make any thread funnier with crass stupidity ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I remember Beckham saying when asked after not being selected for England if he was going to retire.

He replied saying he would never retire and always be available to play, he would crawl on his hands and Knees to wherever we played for the opportunity to represent his Country.

They don't make them like that anymore.

Anything to get a few days away from the wife

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great, he'll probably start banging them in for fun now.

BG has always been pretty consistent.

It seems like 'sorry' really is the hardest word to say.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
To be fair on current form (OK, only two games of the season gone...) he would be an absolute shoe-in. He looks rejuvinated and is now playing with more freedom than he has in years at Utd. Watching the game the other day vs City, he looked so composed. I only noticed one time he gave the ball away in the whole entire game and looked a threat throughout running the game from deeper.

Having said that, he knows he isn't the 'future' of the England national team. I think he's made a good call to retire and give the younger generation a crack at it in preparation for Russia. The more experience and game time the younger generation can get the better, and him being in the squad would prevent one of these younger players from gaining such valuable experience.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
BG has always been pretty consistent.

It seems like 'sorry' really is the hardest word to say.

I quite like the way BG sticks to his guns. Even in the Matt Derbyshire and Ashley Cole and left back threads. He does come up with some nonsense but he has a theory behind his thinking and he sticks to it. It's like Casey Jones trying to stop his runaway train, trying to halt BG.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh FFS :lolol:

Read the article

"It was great Gareth Southgate called me this week to tell me he wanted me back in the England squad for the upcoming matches. I really appreciated that.

However, having already thought long and hard, I told Gareth that I had now decided to retire for good from international football."
Nope. No. That article has been written to save embarrassing Wayne. Southgate dropped Rooney and said he'd never play for England again, but Southgate agreed it would be best to put a happy slant on it for all concerned.

I don't know the full details, but I know it's impossible that BG was wrong.

PS - Don't sweat it BG, it's really no biggie.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It would appear through not reading the BBC article I have got this wrong but I do believe that it is highly feasible that GS told him wanted him to be involved but wouldnt be picked to play which then persuaded him to take the decision to retire. This means he keeps face as does GS from the press calling for him to be picked.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It would appear through not reading the BBC article I have got this wrong
Yaaay! :clap:
but I do believe that it is highly feasible that GS told him wanted him to be involved but wouldnt be picked to play which then persuaded him to take the decision to retire.
:wozza: :facepalm:
This means I keep face
Fixed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here