Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic chanting-I anything acceptable?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
it is therefore a dangerous ground many football 'fans' may find themselves in soon then, within the next few years. I hear gingerism and obesity is not looked too kindly upon on, as well as being unemployed. I am not playing either side, merely playing devils advocate. Am obviously very anti homopohic, but curious to see how / where the lines will eventually be drawn

It's quite easy. The law stipulates what is hate crime - race, sexual orientation and disability.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
It's quite easy. The law stipulates what is hate crime - race, sexual orientation and disability.

Apologies again, as per our previous discussion, about what is also morally wrong. I guess some of us will say what we want until the law calls it wrong, where as others would hold back also on their own moral views, ( Hillsborough, Munich etc), ( Found your lack of response to that last time quite worrying)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Apologies again, as per our previous discussion, about what is also morally wrong. I guess some of us will say what we want until the law calls it wrong, where as others would hold back also on their own moral views, ( Hillsborough, Munich etc), ( Found your lack of response to that last time quite worrying)

Keep on worrying. I gave my personal opinion on the morality, but you didn't accept or understand it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
it is therefore a dangerous ground many football 'fans' may find themselves in soon then, within the next few years. I hear gingerism and obesity is not looked too kindly upon on, as well as being unemployed. I am not playing either side, merely playing devils advocate. Am obviously very anti homopohic, but curious to see how / where the lines will eventually be drawn

..... and where would we be without these rich veins of comedy gold?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As I said on the other thread if you pass homophobic chants off as banter (and by homophobic I'm going with something that directly states or insinuates that there is something wrong with being gay - so yes, 'Does Your boyfriend,' IS homophobic because the chant only works if it is with that intent) then you explicitly agree with making children ashamed of their sexuality in public.

If a child is ginger, fat, black or wears glasses it is obvious. A good parent can make it clear that mickey taking is exactly that. If a child is gay or wants to experiment its unlikely who is taking them to the football knows, they might not even know themselves. Psychologically, it really isn't good to repress those feelings or internalise shame around them. Every time you hear homophobic chants at football, this is happening. It could even be happening to a child that is part of your family.

This isn't hypothetical.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
In light of the discussion regarding our trip to Leicester and the rather unpleasant homophobic abuse received from their 'fans' (I was indeed at the game), I wondered what NSC thought about the different chants that are heard, and whether some, if any, are acceptable. Do you believe any mention of homosexuality at football should be banned? Just the more graphic and demeaning songs? Or are you someone who believes for the most part that it is banter and part of the exchange you'll hear when fans are having a go at each other.
Here's a list from a report on the subject, all real incidents that took place. There is no particular order-Which do you think are fine within the context of a jokey environment, and which should never be heard?

'Town full of f*gg*ts.'
'We can see you holding hands'
'You're too ugly to be gay!'
Player rubs his hands up and down several times over his backside whilst standing in front of, but with his back to, Brighton fans.
'You’re just a town full of b*****s'
'We always sh*g girls'
'Palace 5, Brighton 0, Brighton take it up the b*m'
A father and son pair of Brighton fans were walking away from the ground and the father was asked 'Do you pass him round?'
'Does your boyfriend know you're here?'
'Go home you qayers'
'Up your a*** m’lord, up your a***'
'Soft Southern poofters'
Up your a***, up your a***, if you’re not a f****** w***** you’re a gayer'
Gestures from Blackburn player, alleged to be Colin Kazim-Richards
'What’s it like to suck a c***'
'We drink cider, you suck c***'
'The referee’s a gay boy'
'Gay and you know you are
'Do you take it up the a***?'
'You only sing when you’re b***ing'
'Have you ever sh*gg*d a girl?'
And shouts of ‘f*gg*ts’, ‘gay’ and ‘n*nce’ with limp-wristed gestures
'Your women are ugly, that's why you're all gay'

None of these are acceptable.

Separately, regarding gorillas http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-lesbian-sex-for-the-first-time-a7029661.html

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I have absolutely no idea what this means - especially within the context of this thread.

An earlier poster described a moment whilst walking with his son after the Leicester game when a group of Leicester fans mocked him in a homophobic manner and asked if he passes his son around, is that clear enough for you Alan? You really are a self righteous **** aren't you!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
As I said on the other thread if you pass homophobic chants off as banter (and by homophobic I'm going with something that directly states or insinuates that there is something wrong with being gay - so yes, 'Does Your boyfriend,' IS homophobic because the chant only works if it is with that intent) then you explicitly agree with making children ashamed of their sexuality in public.

If a child is ginger, fat, black or wears glasses it is obvious. A good parent can make it clear that mickey taking is exactly that. If a child is gay or wants to experiment its unlikely who is taking them to the football knows, they might not even know themselves. Psychologically, it really isn't good to repress those feelings or internalise shame around them. Every time you hear homophobic chants at football, this is happening. It could even be happening to a child that is part of your family.

This isn't hypothetical.

Jesus !!

What absolute bol-locks

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Jesus !!

What absolute bol-locks

'Bol-locks' in what sense exactly? I happened to have thought that an excellent post regarding the consequences of homophobic chanting.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here