Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic chanting-I anything acceptable?

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
In light of the discussion regarding our trip to Leicester and the rather unpleasant homophobic abuse received from their 'fans' (I was indeed at the game), I wondered what NSC thought about the different chants that are heard, and whether some, if any, are acceptable. Do you believe any mention of homosexuality at football should be banned? Just the more graphic and demeaning songs? Or are you someone who believes for the most part that it is banter and part of the exchange you'll hear when fans are having a go at each other.
Here's a list from a report on the subject, all real incidents that took place. There is no particular order-Which do you think are fine within the context of a jokey environment, and which should never be heard?

'Town full of f*gg*ts.'
'We can see you holding hands'
'You're too ugly to be gay!'
Player rubs his hands up and down several times over his backside whilst standing in front of, but with his back to, Brighton fans.
'You’re just a town full of b*****s'
'We always sh*g girls'
'Palace 5, Brighton 0, Brighton take it up the b*m'
A father and son pair of Brighton fans were walking away from the ground and the father was asked 'Do you pass him round?'
'Does your boyfriend know you're here?'
'Go home you qayers'
'Up your a*** m’lord, up your a***'
'Soft Southern poofters'
Up your a***, up your a***, if you’re not a f****** w***** you’re a gayer'
Gestures from Blackburn player, alleged to be Colin Kazim-Richards
'What’s it like to suck a c***'
'We drink cider, you suck c***'
'The referee’s a gay boy'
'Gay and you know you are
'Do you take it up the a***?'
'You only sing when you’re b***ing'
'Have you ever sh*gg*d a girl?'
And shouts of ‘f*gg*ts’, ‘gay’ and ‘n*nce’ with limp-wristed gestures
'Your women are ugly, that's why you're all gay'

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think any can be acceptable because none will be sung in isolation.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is a whole thread on this, alrady. Looks like a chance for tthe OP to gratuitously post offensive chants :shrug:

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
None of them are "acceptable". Just as the unbelievable comments I heard from our own Albion fans last night around the signing of Jose Izquerdo along the lines of "Give him a spear and we'll be unbeatable" and "The groundsman are planting trees for his first appearance" were. :ffsparr: And this was in ear shot of my 9 year old son.

SAC

May 21, 2014
If you can write the word in a post, without it automatically turning into an asterix, then it's probably legally ok.

Can we have a thread on which chants / songs it is acceptable to sing at matches?

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I suppose the parallel would be if you asked the question about race, where i don't think anyone is likely to argue that anything is acceptable.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
There is a whole thread on this, alrady. Looks like a chance for tthe OP to gratuitously post offensive chants :shrug:

There is another thread detailing a specific incident of abuse at an a at game with subsequent discussion. Having looked further into the issue I thought it would be both interesting and useful to ask how a community of football fans felt about certain chants with varying levels of intensity and severity. I did not cast my opinion about any of the chants listed. And furthermore, I suspect if one posted this on a different forum without the history or link of homophobic chanting, perhaps Sheffield Wednesday, Liverpool, Accrington Stanley-you'd get different answers.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Actually heard one muppet outside the ground last night singing 'Barnet take it up the bum'. His mate seemed embarrassed so he didn't carry on thankfully.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Everything on your list is unacceptable.

Though I presume you didn't intend it in this way, I would like to make clear that it is not 'my list'. The list is taken directly from a report on homophobia in football and I did not voice my opinion on the list, merely presented it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
What happens when Brighton fans sing songs like these to other Brighton fans.

Can't remember which away game it was last season but one side were singing "We're the gay side, we've the gay side we're the gay side Brighton boys" to which the other side were sings "straight side" which was followed by the holding hands, you're to ugly etc

Is this acceptable like the N word is acceptable if a black person says it

SAC

May 21, 2014
Though I presume you didn't intend it in this way, I would like to make clear that it is not 'my list'. The list is taken directly from a report on homophobia in football and I did not voice my opinion on the list, merely presented it.

No good asking for the opinion of others if you aren't prepared to have one yourself!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know you just presented it. It's the list you presented. I think it's ok to call it your list, while knowing you haven't made it all up etc.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
No good asking for the opinion of others if you aren't prepared to have one yourself!

Did I say I wasn't prepared to give one? ??? I refrained in my OP because I've found if one states their opinion as an opening remark then people may either agree silently (useless for debate) or may just lazily stand with my view if it seemed agreeable without looking deeper themselves. The reason I posted this is because I wanted people's individual feedback. As for my view, I deem any direct attack on someone's sexuality to be abhorrent, yet for example the chant 'Your women are ugly, that's why you're gay' is not directed at gay people. The joke is at women in a region being ugly, and if you work on the premise that there's nothing wrong with being gay, then that chant is merely a jibe at how attractive local females are. Obviously there is a question of truth, I didn't say that any chants would be considered true, but that is the nature of chant humour.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If you can write the word in a post, without it automatically turning into an asterix, then it's probably legally ok.

Can we have a thread on which chants / songs it is acceptable to sing at matches?

So homophobia is ok so long as it doesn't (heaven forbid) contain a swear word?

Chickenlittle

Feb 6, 2017
South coast

Has the other thread not taught you anything?? Everything on this/your list is unacceptable. Why does anything offensive have to be 'graded' or passed as 'jokey banter'?
When have you ever heard of anyone taking their own life because someone shouted 'Your support is f*****g sh*t!' etc etc?
Exactly...jog on

andy46

Mar 22, 2012
Why is it acceptable to insult anyone on the grounds of their rightful and natural sexuality?
ER LETS GET ONE THING STRAIGHT-it isn't natural at all its a made up human thing, men with that ridiculous effeminate tone of voice and females being the 'butch' one and acting all blokey in the relationship is clearly not normal, it is all a put on , why is it needed and who does it impress ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here