Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Small things that irritate you.....

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Presumption, especially by radio presenters, that the whole country only works Monday to Friday 9-5. Driving to work on a Friday afternoon hearing them go "only a couple more hours at work to go, hope you all have a great weekend break".
People getting stroppy when you say you can't go to their bbq/birthday party/xmas dinner as you're working
People saying Xmas rather than Christmas

People in Britain calling Father Christmas, Santa Claus.

Other drivers who don't acknowledge you when you let them pass.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I hate it when people are speaking on TV and they say '' an hotel '' instead of '' a hotel '' - I am not sure which one is grammatically correct but pronunciation wise, the latter sounds better
Grammatically, they are both correct apparently.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Radio travel experts talking about traffic delays due to an "earlier accident", no suit Sherlock, it's not because of an accident that hasn't happened yet, is it?

I do get irritated when a traffic report or news report mentions "due to a police incident".

No no and thrice no it's not "a police incident" it is in actuality police attending an incident rather than the cops creating the incident though sometimes it could be the latter.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
People in Britain calling Father Christmas, Santa Claus.

Other drivers who don't acknowledge you when you let them pass.

Or let them out at junctions. The most annoying ones are when there's a road only wide enough for one car, so you flash the car 100m away in the opp direction to come through - then you get nothing, no flash, and hand up, no mouthed 'thank you'.

And when I stop to let a pedestrian cross. There's one crossing outside a train station in my home town. So when all the commuters trundle across, not one ever says thanks. I put it down to either ignorance, or the fact they're still in London mode, where you're not meant to make contact with a stranger in any way. I find myself sarcastically saying thank you through the window as I drive off, in the hope they hear and feel really really guilty...(fat chance)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Folk who say 'have a lovely rest of your day'.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was always under the impression that A was used if the following word begins with a consonant and An was used if a Vowel.

So today I have learnt something, thank you.
http://www.supaproofread.com/an-hotel-or-a-hotel.html

https://www.englishforums.com/English/AHotelAnHotel/vrb/post.htm

http://writing-skills.com/hit-or-myth-use-an-before-h-words

In a nutshell, it comes down to how you pronounce the word "hotel". In some parts of the country, the word is pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable, in others it is the second. Therefore, when writing it down, both are acceptable. But this is a very debatable area!

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
People who fold up the collars of their polo shirts. Only two people have ever pulled off the upturned collar look without looking like massive wankers.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Walk-in showers. How else do you enter a shower? By parachute?
Pan-fried whatever. How else do you fry food?
Oven-baked whatever. Where else would you bake food?
Traditional English pubs that translate their menus into French and then double the prices.
Drivers who treat zebra-crossings as mere decorations in the road.
I am/was stood/sat, instead of the correct standing/sitting.
Tattoos.
Jargon.
People who wear flip-flops in the streets on a sunny (but chilly) day in early-March.
People putting their feet on seats on buses and trains.
People talking loudly on their mobiles on public transport.
Mosquitoes.
Lists.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Walk-in showers. How else do you enter a shower? By parachute?
Pan-fried whatever. How else do you fry food?
Oven-baked whatever. Where else would you bake food?
Traditional English pubs that translate their menus into French and then double the prices.
Drivers who treat zebra-crossings as mere decorations in the road.
I am/was stood/sat, instead of the correct standing/sitting.
Tattoos.
Jargon.
People who wear flip-flops in the streets on a sunny (but chilly) day in early-March.
People putting their feet on seats on buses and trains.
People talking loudly on their mobiles on public transport.
Mosquitoes.
Lists.

I like the very very occasional meal out that costs more than a mortgage payment, but give me the likes of Hungry Horse every other time. Cheap, substantial food - it's worth putting up with the feral rugrats running about to save the money.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

they dont even bother to translate it anymore, just tart up the fonts and use terms such as "hand cut", "brioche buns", "medley", "jus", "local" etc to double the price.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Irrational irritations:

Allowing two different sauces to mix on a single plate of food.

Not washing/wiping rims of sauce bottles so it goes all crusty/slimy

Using up 9 10ths of anything in the fridge and not replacing it

People not offering pregnant women seats on public transport when they can blatantly see/wearing the badge

Pacific/Specific

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Utility companies that send you an email telling you your bill is ready to view. Then won't let you see it until you login to your account i.e. until you've clicked on 'Forgotten password' for about the umpteenth time that week, for the umpteenth different company you hold accounts with, and enter and confirm a new password containing upper case letters, lower case letters, numbers and probably a special character too, just in case, heaven forbid, somebody of evil intent should hack into your energy account and view your bill. Just tell me the damn amount in the email FFS! :angry:
And... relax :smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here