• Rip it down

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • What?! 'F' No!

Votes: 145 94.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
What's hysterical about my contribution?.... please explain?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It is hysterical becuase nowhere is she trying to extend the article to the things you are mentioning. You are creating a "straw man" which you then knock down. She is using Nelson's column as a metaphore for the things we admire and how she thinks we are mistaken and missing the things we really should admire.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
More fool you if you stop reading the Guardian because you cant cope with a counter view to your own. Maybe you will find your spiritual home at the Mail or the Telegraph. I thought the aricle was quite thought provoking. I didnt know Nelson was a slaver and now I do. How I interpret that information is now up to me. The truth is that there were lots of people around then that could see that slavery was a dreadful thing. Why could Neson not?. Progresives in any age have to deal with people who defend a bad staus quo. They are rarely honoured in the same way as warriors. I personally honour Wilberforce much more greatly than Nelson

Talking of spiritual homes, you've clearly found yours. Progressives like you are always welcome at the Grauniad.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Was waiting for this thread. Bit OTT to rip it down. Though our need to teach more about our colonial past, it wasn't milk, honey and steam trains

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It is hysterical becuase nowhere is she trying to extend the article to the things you are mentioning. You are creating a "straw man" which you then knock down. She is using Nelson's column as a metaphore for the things we admire and how she thinks we are mistaken and missing the things we really should admire.
I find that the article is typical of many hosted by the Guardian in recent years..... so rather than campaigning for a solution to the issue of redress regarding the missing memorials or recognition for 'others' in our history, the arguments are simply underpinning the reactionary ideology that may result simply in the destruction of alternative historical perspectives.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
We live in a democracy and the great thing about a democracy is the right and ability to express alternative view points. I don't ageee with one iota of what was written in this article but have no problem with the Guardian publishing it. However if one wanted to write an article suggesting we should build more statues to such historical figures 'the left' would 'horrified' 'appalled' and 'disgusted' calling the writer racist, fascist etc.

Defend democracy and free speech to the end and regardless of your own viewpoint. There is an insiduous momentum type movement that preaches free speech but only if they agree with what is being said. The extreme left and the extreme right are as each as dangerous as the other.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Afua Hirsch is a writer, broadcaster, barrister and human rights development worker of Ghanaian, English and Jewish heritage

Well she would be, wouldn't she? The article is utterly futile but I have no doubt her Metropolitan buddies will **** themselves silly over its 'relevance'. :lolol:

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
Afua Hirsch is a writer, broadcaster, barrister and human rights development worker of Ghanaian, English and Jewish heritage

Well she would be, wouldn't she? The article is utterly futile but I have no doubt her Metropolitan buddies will **** themselves silly over its 'relevance'. :lolol:

Your reply wins you the Donald Trump award for stupididity, rudeness and angry prejudice. Well done !

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
That article is cut from the same cloth as most Katy Hopkins articles: say something outrageous and watch the page count fly up (and the ad revenue with it). You'd have to search hard to find people in favour of it.

Most European countries have some awful events in their colonial past but don't agree with pulling down statues.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm curious as to why so many people are quite so outraged by the suggestion that we ought to have a debate over it.

I'm not saying it should be pulled down on the whim of a yoghurt knitter, but change is usually a good thing. Isn't it about time women were recognised? We've lived with statues that are almost exclusively men for centuries - why are women so invisible? It's not healthy is it? And what about the fact that this country is made up of a large number of people who might well have been slaves back then - again, hard for them to respect a man who was hell bent on keeping the slavery industry running.

Finally, this whinge at "left wingers" seems wide of the mark, but par-for-the-course for some of NSC's biggest thickies. I'd bet there are many other people who would least like to discuss the subject without hastily being labelled something they're not.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

You are truly, truly ignorant.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And what would be next...Churchill? Oliver Cromwell? Left wingers have always got something to moan about. It must be a barrel a laughs being one

Grow up, for goodness sake!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Like the vast majority of historically significant figures, and indeed people in general, Nelson had a complex mix of attributes, some good, some less so. My view is that the statue should be left, but that when he's talked about in history classes in school, a balanced viewpoint of the man is taught: yes, he was a naval genius and was viewed as a hero as a consequence of winning many important battles, and he also had values that are unacceptable today (and were starting to be unacceptable even at the time).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'm curious as to why so many people are quite so outraged by the suggestion that we ought to have a debate over it.

I'm not saying it should be pulled down on the whim of a yoghurt knitter, but change is usually a good thing. Isn't it about time women were recognised? We've lived with statues that are almost exclusively men for centuries - why are women so invisible? It's not healthy is it? And what about the fact that this country is made up of a large number of people who might well have been slaves back then - again, hard for them to respect a man who was hell bent on keeping the slavery industry running.

A lot of statues have a military meaning or history. Women on the whole had the luxury of not having to fight in those wars.

When they did they got statues. Like Boudicca.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So one columnist's controversial and OTT article would lead you to stop reading a newspaper because you disagree with that viewpoint? I assume that, if you're going to continue looking at NSC, you agree with all the views expressed on here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's usually the columnists I disagree with most often that I turn to first. There's no point in simply having your own prejudices stroked.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A lot of statues have a military meaning or history. Women on the whole had the luxury of not having to fight in those wars.

When they did they got statues. Like Boudicca.
That is indeed a fair point Tyrone, but centuries ago we were involved in wars every 5-10 years. Equally, we all know that it was rarely the people in statues who really put their arses on the line - it was the pressed men who had no choice.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
That article is cut from the same cloth as most Katy Hopkins articles: say something outrageous and watch the page count fly up (and the ad revenue with it). You'd have to search hard to find people in favour of it.

Most European countries have some awful events in their colonial past but don't agree with pulling down statues.
Why does 'empire' and 'colonialism' always stop at the borders of western Europe..... Africa, the Middle East and Asia cornered the market in Empires and Slavery a long time before we started spreading our wings across the planet.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
That is indeed a fair point Tyrone, but centuries ago we were involved in wars every 5-10 years. Equally, we all know that it was rarely the people in statues who really put their arses on the line - it was the pressed men who had no choice.

Indeed it's the rank and file who pay the ultimate price,

Queen Victoria and her hundreds of statues didn't fire a single shot in anger yet ruled over more people on the planet than anyone else had to that time.

I can't say when I look at statues I think about the person, I think damn that was a talented artist.

People who want to destroy art are certainly reminiscent of some unsavory groups throughout history. Vandals is what i'd call them.

I'd rather not destroy or remove such art, rather admire it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here