Votes: 8 5.2%
  • What?! 'F' No!

Votes: 145 94.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I read the Guardian for free. Now I'm going to stop reading it.

So one columnist's controversial and OTT article would lead you to stop reading a newspaper because you disagree with that viewpoint? I assume that, if you're going to continue looking at NSC, you agree with all the views expressed on here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
History cannot be erased.

To learn lessons from the past it must be talked about. Statues from another age prompt the discussion. They all need to be kept.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
As someone who's blind in one eye, but cannot be registered partially sighted because - wait for it, my functioning eye is deemed 'near perfect health'. I demand all you binocular-normal people stop oppressing me.

Down with iMax.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
So one columnist's controversial and OTT article would lead you to stop reading a newspaper because you disagree with that viewpoint? I assume that, if you're going to continue looking at NSC, you agree with all the views expressed on here?

Look on it as the straw that, you know, broke the back. I disagree with their editorial position on most things, but have carried on reading because I thought it was healthy to seek a different perspective. But publishing this nonsense by Afua Hirsch? Maybe it's intended as clickbait but I'm not playing anymore. I shall take my browsing elsewhere.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Even the world of football is not free from the tyranny of revisionism

ted%20bates%20old%20and%20new%20statues.jpg

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Why stop there, why not target other famous historical figures from our past too.

Maybe target someone like Isambard Kingdom Brunel and tear down all his remaining contributions to society and remove him and references to his achievements from the history books because of his lack of adherence to modern Health and safety legislation when carrying out his works

And there must be so many other important figures from our history we can also go after in this way too

(the whole thing seems like click bait sensationalism trying to provoke a reaction for the sake of it and completely unnecessary)

And the only thing Health & Safety Legislation has achieved, is create jobs for Nazis holding clip boards.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Interesting that although it's supposed to be "the lefties" that have a problem with Nelson's Column (I'd never heard this story before this thread appeared) it's a known Right Winger that starts a thread about it and right wingers propogating the story.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The Guardian is just best ignored. The writer of that article only really cares about her career and parading her liberal credentials in front of her metropolitan chums. Nelson's Column is a tourist attraction and no administrator is ever going to pull it
down.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
I read the Guardian for free. Now I'm going to stop reading it.

More fool you if you stop reading the Guardian because you cant cope with a counter view to your own. Maybe you will find your spiritual home at the Mail or the Telegraph. I thought the aricle was quite thought provoking. I didnt know Nelson was a slaver and now I do. How I interpret that information is now up to me. The truth is that there were lots of people around then that could see that slavery was a dreadful thing. Why could Neson not?. Progresives in any age have to deal with people who defend a bad staus quo. They are rarely honoured in the same way as warriors. I personally honour Wilberforce much more greatly than Nelson

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Interesting that although it's supposed to be "the lefties" that have a problem with Nelson's Column (I'd never heard this story before this thread appeared) it's a known Right Winger that starts a thread about it and right wingers propogating the story.

The permanently offended simultaneously complaining about the lefties trying to stifle debate about stuff and dismissing any point of view they disagree with as 'click bait', parading liberal credentials and I am sure it will pop up soon 'virtue signalling'.

Wouldn't it be nice to just have a discussion about something on this discussion board?

I am not even sure how this became a left V right thing so quickly anyhow. I am certainly left leaning and I say keep Nelson's column up! (Oo er miussus).

I read the article as an opinion piece suggesting we consider our position on such things given what the Americans have done recently. Hardly a rallying call to start tearing down statues.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And what would be next...Churchill? Oliver Cromwell? Left wingers have always got something to moan about. It must be a barrel a laughs being one

I hope that you and others don't think that all lefties support this. Nelson is commemorated for his naval feats.

Robert E Lee is one of the people whose statues are threatened in the US, but he is commemorated for fighting for a cause of which the main aim was to keep slavery - it's very different.

Even then Robert E Lee apparently, so I read the other day, was noted also for his efforts and calls to unite the country after the Civil War had finished.

None of these things are black and white.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Why is it when a handful of Uber lefties come up with a new way to make a fuss they get national coverage? As if the vast majority even thinks or cares about this .

I'd be more in favour of removing these twunts from our society than a couple of statues .

It's one column by one writer - hardly a national movement. And I don't think the writer is putting it forward as something they actually want to happen.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The permanently offended simultaneously complaining about the lefties trying to stifle debate about stuff and dismissing any point of view they disagree with as 'click bait', parading liberal credentials and I am sure it will pop up soon 'virtue signalling'.

Wouldn't it be nice to just have a discussion about something on this discussion board?

I am not even sure how this became a left V right thing so quickly anyhow. I am certainly left leaning and I say keep Nelson's column up! (Oo er miussus).

I read the article as an opinion piece suggesting we consider our position on such things given what the Americans have done recently. Hardly a rallying call to start tearing down statues.

Right wingers feel genuinely threatened a lot of the time. Nobody is going to be tearing Nelson's Column down anytime soon.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
If by extension you take these sentiments to it's fullest extent, you would campaign for the destruction of the pyramids, Great Zimbabwe, the Acropolis, the Colosseum... all the major edifices in the middle and far East... ALL built by slave labour by mostly despotic regimes.... it's laughable that the Guardian is attempting to perpetuate this ideology....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
If by extension you take these sentiments to it's fullest extent, you would campaign for the destruction of the pyramids, Great Zimbabwe, the Acropolis, the Colosseum... all the major edifices in the middle and far East... ALL built by slave labour by mostly despotic regimes.... it's laughable that the Guardian is attempting to perpetuate this ideology....

No, what is laughable is your hysterical reacton to an interesting article written by an intelligent journalist whose views are her own and not owned by the Guardian.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
No, what is laughable is your hysterical reacton to an interesting article written by an intelligent journalist whose views are her own and not owned by the Guardian.
What's hysterical about my contribution?.... please explain?

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
And what would be next...Churchill? Oliver Cromwell? Left wingers have always got something to moan about. It must be a barrel a laughs being one

Idiots .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I note Hirsch has a book about what it is to be British coming out soon. How timely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here