Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who would you start in goal against Watford?

Who would you start in goal against Watford?

• Ryan

Votes: 192 59.4%
  • Maenpaa

Votes: 131 40.6%

• Total voters

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ryan should be dropped for his poor performances.

Performance. Singular.

For the one spill against Leicester, and he deserves to be dropped for that ?

He was decent against City, I dont think he could have done much really with the Dunk own goal.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I recall Stockdale's lapses in his first season with us and the "he's not good enough brigade". Yet he turned himself around and gave us two amazing seasons between the sticks. Part of the reason was forging an understanding with his centre backs. Leave Ryan with Ben Roberts and give him at least another six games.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I still don't understand the reasoning for letting Stockdale go when we have just been promoted. Logic would say that when you make the step up, especially to the Prem, it would be essential to keep the back five continuity as much as possible. We had a proven and meanest defense record in all the leagues and now the back five have to forge new relationships and a different style of playing. Against big strikers Ryan doesn't stand a chance coming out and collecting the ball so Duffy and Dunk have to adjust and compensate for this.

Even if Stockdale had to go, to me it would have made sense to have given the job to Maenpaa, because he clearly fits in with the team, and brought Ryan in as the No 2 if we rated Ryan as we seem to do. I am sure Ryan will be fine with a good run of games but it seems like a gamble the way we have played it on a couple of levels; Letting Stockdale go and not giving the jersey to Maenpaa.

I am not blaming Ryan for the defeats, and losing 0-4 to two of the best teams in the Prem is probably about right, but we are lacking confidence because it's all new, and there is a desire for the team to not let Ryan down, thus a cautious style of playing comes to the surface.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Really can't decide with limited viewing if somehow we have managed to spunk £5 million on a lemon or Ryan is in fact a top keeper , if he is then sorry i'm not convinced , on the other hand Niki Maenpaa who iv'e seen play on many occasions has done all that can be required to get a shot as 1st choice , for me he is a much better all round goalkeeper in all areas , comparing the two , heard people saying last nights save was not a save rather the ball just hit him , well that theory is just bollox , it was one of the best saves iv'e seen by a Brighton keeper , magnificent reactions , so to the question , it's a toughy but i think i would give Nikki a chance if it were up to me , it isn't and no doubt Ryan will start but i think he needs to massively up his all round game .

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Performance. Singular.

For the one spill against Leicester, and he deserves to be dropped for that ?

He was decent against City, I dont think he could have done much really with the Dunk own goal.

Leicester's second goal did make him look short and if Warren Aspinall was concerned we have to be a little bit too. I agree that he needs more games but I would feel more confident with Maenpaa in goal.

Muirphy was key for their first goal. He couldn't cross the ball ln because he was closed down but he still tried to, and gave it away, when he could have easliy won a corner instead.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I recall Stockdale's lapses in his first season with us and the "he's not good enough brigade". Yet he turned himself around and gave us two amazing seasons between the sticks. Part of the reason was forging an understanding with his centre backs. Leave Ryan with Ben Roberts and give him at least another six games.

NO NO NO we must have success NOW!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Really can't decide with limited viewing if somehow we have managed to spunk £5 million on a lemon or Ryan is in fact a top keeper

Niki Maenpaa who iv'e seen play on many occasions has done all that can be required to get a shot as 1st choice , for me he is a much better all round goalkeeper in all areas

:wozza:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Manuel Neuer probably.

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
I still don't understand the reasoning for letting Stockdale go when we have just been promoted. Logic would say that when you make the step up, especially to the Prem, it would be essential to keep the back five continuity as much as possible. We had a proven and meanest defense record in all the leagues and now the back five have to forge new relationships and a different style of playing. Against big strikers Ryan doesn't stand a chance coming out and collecting the ball so Duffy and Dunk have to adjust and compensate for this.

Even if Stockdale had to go, to me it would have made sense to have given the job to Maenpaa, because he clearly fits in with the team, and brought Ryan in as the No 2 if we rated Ryan as we seem to do. I am sure Ryan will be fine with a good run of games but it seems like a gamble the way we have played it on a couple of levels; Letting Stockdale go and not giving the jersey to Maenpaa.

I am not blaming Ryan for the defeats, and losing 0-4 to two of the best teams in the Prem is probably about right, but we are lacking confidence because it's all new, and there is a desire for the team to not let Ryan down, thus a cautious style of playing comes to the surface.

A club like ours doesn't pay 5 mill. for a no.2 goalkeeper

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A club like ours doesn't pay 5 mill. for a no.2 goalkeeper

No but then I can't quite my head round fact we're a club who have coughed up £52m in a transfer window with a few more quid to go. So who knows what a "club like ours" means anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here