Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who would you start in goal against Watford?

Who would you start in goal against Watford?

• Ryan

Votes: 192 59.4%
  • Maenpaa

Votes: 131 40.6%

• Total voters

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
And grow about 3"

Oh, and hold onto the ball.

Madrid, City and Leiceetser.

3 games, 3 mistakes.

Don't want to take into account the saves he made in those games then (although to be fair I'm not sure he made any saves against Leicester, shite game can't really remember it already)?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nikki, just like I would have picked him early last season when Stockdale was dodgy. Won't happen, probably shouldn't happen but I'd do it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ryan.

Then he goes back to play for Australia and Maenpaa can start the West Brom game which is just 4 days after Australia v Thailand.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Nikki, just like I would have picked him early last season when Stockdale was dodgy. Won't happen, probably shouldn't happen but I'd do it.

Exactly this. I thought Maenpaa should have been given a run around October last year and I still think he deserves a shot. He has not let us down yet and must be wondering if he will ever be given a chance. On the other hand, Ryan needs to settle in and does not need his confidence totally ###xed. Sounds like I'm on the fence.....or marginally Maenpaa.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I really hope Ryan turns it around and proves a good buy but have a horrible feeling there is a good reason that Valencia shifted him on to Club Bruges. That being said he probably needs another couple of games at least. I would definitely play him against Watford but another assist for a goal would put immense pressure on CH to bring Nikki in.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Take a goalkeeper out after a couple of matches (especially a couple in which we've shown no real attacking intent instead sitting back and inviting attack after attack) it will destroy his confidence, and put the guy who comes in under extra pressure.

Maenpaa made one good save (that may have been offside anyway), but also was beaten and relied on a post to save him. Other than that his performance wasn't all that noteworthy.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
How are threads like this meant to help us in any way?

-Are they trying to undermine our new keepers confidence
-Trying to disrupt and unsettle our squad and it's spirit?, something that helped us got over the promotion line last season and could be vital to our season
-Needless band wagon jumping by fickle fans who don't understand simple things like player psychology and so on and can't see the potential damage this constant nick picking and blame culture that's already started again can cause - the previous times we have had this type of fan outcry, we have had a bad season (think Hyppia & Micky Adams mk II)

It's the sort of people who jump at the chance to spread doom and gloom and think that losing 2-0 to this seasons league title favourites as well as to a team that won the league 2 years ago and made it to the last 16 in Europe means that all the other teams are like that and we have no chance of survival when the truth is far from that. This doom mongering is only going to make it more likely we fail by undermining a crucial thing we need to try to survive, belief and confidence that it is more than possible. There is plenty of time and plenty of points out there that we are more than capable of securing

Even if we do fail, what does it matter?, we can regroup and go again and look to the likes of West Brom and others who yo-yoed for a few seasons before becoming established in the PL.

Can't we just enjoy the ride (like Huddersfield fans) and approach it as a season with nothing to lose and therefore no pressure rather than this self destructive tendency to add more pressure to the side and make our task harder and therefore less likely to succeed?

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland

-Trying to disrupt and unsettle our squad and it's spirit?, something that helped us got over the promotion line last season and could be vital to our season
-Needless band wagon jumping by fickle fans who don't understand simple things like player psychology and so on and can't see the potential damage this constant nick picking and blame culture that's already started again can cause - the previous times we have had this type of fan outcry, we have had a bad season (think Hyppia & Micky Adams mk II)

It's the sort of people who jump at the chance to spread doom and gloom and think that losing 2-0 to this seasons league title favourites as well as to a team that won the league 2 years ago and made it to the last 16 in Europe means that all the other teams are like that and we have no chance of survival when the truth is far from that. This doom mongering is only going to make it more likely we fail by undermining a crucial thing we need to try to survive, belief and confidence that it is more than possible. There is plenty of time and plenty of points out there that we are more than capable of securing

Even if we do fail, what does it matter?, we can regroup and go again and look to the likes of West Brom and others who yo-yoed for a few seasons before becoming established in the PL.

Can't we just enjoy the ride (like Huddersfield fans) and approach it as a season with nothing to lose and therefore no pressure rather than this self destructive tendency to add more pressure to the side and make our task harder and therefore less likely to succeed?

Absolutely!

Couldn't have put it better myself. :thumbsup:

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Either Michel Kuipers or Nicky Rust. Can't decide which.

Or Ryan, obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Why do saps like you have a problem with a simple question? This is forum which means things are discussed and opinions are posted!!! Our new keeper isn't going to lose his confidence over a thread on NSC. If he does we have a big problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here