Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings - Barnet (h)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I was really hoping that we'd play some more expansive football tonight and score a few goals, and that the players hungry to stake a PL place would make a decent effort so that the club would be given a bit of a confidence boost.

It would seem not!!!

Something's not quite right at the moment, is it? Probably just the new players not gellling yet but we seem to have lost some of that spirit we had last season. We need our mojo back and badly.

Last season effectively finished at Wolves. That was the last decent performance and we haven't seen one since. We limped nervously over the line v Wigan and then the whole club decided to go on an almighty bender. It was as if they felt...." thats it, we don't have to bother now "....the uproarious celebrations for promotion gave out the message that it was job done. The momentum was lost and we finished the season poorly.
The loss of momentum has been carried over and the squad looks flat at the moment. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but we need a lift and it has to come from CH and his team. New blood may help as some of our players are struggling and have had a rude awakening. They thought they were kings of the pile last season. Now they are paupers.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The announcer pronounced his name 'Alice' which brings in a whole genre of songs to sing although I hope we're not chanting:

Ales, Ales, who the **** is Ales?

Much more importantly, I was impressed with the size and speed & strength of this man and his willingness to overlap the skilful Tilley. He got in good positions and put in a couple of well targeted crosses along the deck. A few question marks with his defending but he could be the future once Bruno hangs up his boots.

Maybe, yes, when I saw him in U23s, defensively he was a bit shaky.

Hope somebody speaks to him about throw-in's....... [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Anyone scoring Skalak lower than Towell needs their head examined and eyes tested.

Skalak did VERY little apart from making a few good runs.

Towell did absolutely nothing. He was truly awful, the worst performance I've seen in the stripes for a long time.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyone scoring Skalak lower than Towell needs their head examined and eyes tested.

Towell did absolutely nothing. He was truly awful, the worst performance I've seen in the stripes for a long time.

Well I did [emoji23] and my eyes are fine.

Towell dropped in to help the midfield frequently, if I had to be critical he didn't get close enough to Hemed. Still poor though.

Skalak however, that's the worst I've seen him play, one powderpuff shot, lost the ball every time practically, the miscontrol from Maenppa's throw out, summed up a difficult night for him.

I like Skalak as well for the defensive cover he provides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Almost exactly the opposite of what I saw. Skalak gave the ball away almost as much Micky Bennett in the Gillingham days. So whether the runs were good or not didn't seem relevant.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Maenpaa. 6. Did all that was expected
Rosenior 6 as Maenpaa
Goldson 7 solid
Hunemier 7 as Goldson
Bong 5 not at the races
Knockhaert 5 Not interested
Molumby 8 Impressive MOM
Ince 6 won a few tackles passing is awful but not the worst in the match.
Towell 5 Ran about but achieved little.
Skalak 4. Poor all round
Hemed 5 didnt offer anything or a goal threat
Subs
Mateju. 6. Competant
Tilley 6 scored the goal but not much else
Connolly 5 out muscled but tried hard.

CH Needs to realize that paying supporters expect and deserve better rather than playing sub standard teams.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Last season effectively finished at Wolves. That was the last decent performance and we haven't seen one since. We limped nervously over the line v Wigan and then the whole club decided to go on an almighty bender. It was as if they felt...." thats it, we don't have to bother now "....the uproarious celebrations for promotion gave out the message that it was job done. The momentum was lost and we finished the season poorly.
The loss of momentum has been carried over and the squad looks flat at the moment. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but we need a lift and it has to come from CH and his team. New blood may help as some of our players are struggling and have had a rude awakening. They thought they were kings of the pile last season. Now they are paupers.

I wonder if it's the decision to play 4-4-1-1. Gross and, last night, Towell don't seem to know exactly where they're supposed to be playing and are neither far forward enough to support the striker nor close enough to the midfield four to receive the ball with any comfort. And the lone striker is isolated and outnumbered.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Not giving points but I would say Goldson looked composed and confident, and tried to move the ball up the pitch in a positive way. Hunemeier also has that calm authority, though there were some rather wayward passes last night that could be disastrous against better opposition.

I'm Rosenior's biggest fan but he didn't really shine at all, and was hemmed in all night. Bong ended up as a cult hero for the Barnet fans, which tells you everything. Skalak is a player I don't think I've ever seen take on and beat his man ... I thought last night might be the night. He did get about a foot past a Barnet player on the left wing in the second half, but ran straight into a defender, so I'm not counting that.

Knockaert seemed to be playing well within himself, and that's fine - we need him fit for bigger games than this. But that incident with the linesman was stupid and raises questions about his temperament.

Hemed seemed slow and distracted. He played rather like I would play, but I'm 48 and not very good at football. Towell should have had a great game but was not able to make any impact at all against some bulky Barnet defenders. Not enough guile or pace.

Ince is a likeable player who had a decent enough game and could probably hold down a regular place in a lot of Championship sides. Maenpaa was solid but never really tested.

Younger players all gave a decent account of themselves and hopefully the experience takes their development a bit further.

Overall a disappointing and disjointed team performance but fair play to Barnet, they made a game of it and probably deserved a draw. We looked better on the ball but we hardly outclassed them.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I wonder if it's the decision to play 4-4-1-1. Gross and, last night, Towell don't seem to know exactly where they're supposed to be playing and are neither far forward enough to support the striker nor close enough to the midfield four to receive the ball with any comfort. And the lone striker is isolated and outnumbered.

I was thinking this myself... Why have we decided that we have to change formation in the Premier League? When it's the formation that we have played successfully for two years and the players are confident in it. Huddersfield have shown (against limited opposition admittedly) that you can come up and still play as you were in the Championship, and Leicester won the league playing 4-4-2!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does CH have a point to try to prove having not been a success when previously managing in the Premier so is a little ' scared' of the opposition and thus being over cautious.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
The front six showed almost no inclination to take on League Two players. Too many safe passes backwards and square. And this was a team largely comprised of players who were mostly very good to excellent last season against far stronger Championship teams. What has gone wrong?

This is what I couldn't believe. Most of the players on that pitch would have made an excellent Championship side, and Bong and Skalak have played together on so many occasions, I couldn't believe how shit they were creatively. It was like they'd never been on the pitch together before. Embarrasing.

Molumby, Tilley, Ince, BFG and Goldson stood out for me, as well as the new right back Mateju (but wasn't on long enough to get a full feel for him).

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Molumby, Tilley, Ince, BFG and Goldson stood out for me, as well as the new right back Mateju (but wasn't on long enough to get a full feel for him).

This is how I saw it.

On the flip side Skalak and Towell both looked like they'd forgotten how to play football, I do won't if the lack of game time is taking them backwards. I felt a bit sorry for Hemed because he had no chance with that kind of support.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Something's not quite right at the moment, is it? Probably just the new players not gellling yet but we seem to have lost some of that spirit we had last season. We need our mojo back and badly.

Unfortunately I'm getting a similar feeling. Hopefully it's temporary!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My reasoning pre match is that a third of the team were playing to get IN to the first 11, a third to get OUT of the club (sold or loan deal) and a third were kids making up the numbers who knew they will neither be sold nor make the first 11.
My neck began to ache having to look at the screen to see who was playing.
And at the final whistle-
Those playing to get in to the first 11 wont make it.
Those wanting a loan or move wont get one (Ince and Goldston the exception though hope the latter stays)
And the kids just enjoyed their day on the haloed turf.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Maenpaa 8 - Made a couple of vital saves and looked commanding, very vocal too
Rosenior 7 Didn't get forward as much as I'd like but was sound defensively, strong in the tackle and positionally excellent
Goldson 8 A rock at the heart of our defence
Hunemier 7 Colossal in the air, looked good
Bong 6 Not his best performance in the stripes but gives you 110%
Knockhaert 7 Always looked dangerous but didn't quite happen last night
Molumby 9 A fine performance, good distribution, carried the ball and looked to drive forward
Ince 7 Some fierce tackling but sometimes his distribution let him down
Towell 7 Composed, lacked a little confidence, but a solid game
Skalak 6 Wouldn't take his man on and his crossing was a little bit disappointing but a willing outlet
Hemed 7 Lack of service but made some great runs and his hold up and link up play was excellent
Subs
Mateju. 7. Not fit
Tilley 8 Took his goal well

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Does CH have a point to try to prove having not been a success when previously managing in the Premier so is a little ' scared' of the opposition and thus being over cautious.
I think the whole of Tyneside apart from Mile Ashley would tell you very bluntly that he was a success in the PL at Newcastle!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here