Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Murphy

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Oh and another thing you just may have overlooked

Did you see who was given the responsibility to mark Vardy when we had corners to cove his pace in the event of a ''breakaway'' and who in the second half on Saturday, chased him back the full length of the field and caught him and put I a tackle when Vardy was bearing down on goal. That very same Vardy who runs defenders raged with his pace. What was his name again.Oh Yeh.....Jamie Murphy

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
I like Murphy and his consistent contributions to Albion's success since we signed him. He's a also a key part of our work without the ball.

The writer for the Independent who was there on Saturday rated him our joint best player with Dunk. Just an opinion, but interesting to get that of an experienced outsider.

I guess in reality. We probably saw less of his good qualities in that sense last season than we will this. But he offers so little in the transitions from defence to attack that someone like March or Kayal does we will struggle to score goals with him in the side.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Thought he looked like he lacked confidence on Saturday when one on one and didn't really believe he could beat his man. Saying that he kept the ball better than most and didn't make too many mistakes.

Feel like this team really needs that first goal/point/win just to give them the belief that they belong here. It's been really a really tough introduction to the PL but a couple more signings and we will be more competitive.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Oh and another thing you just may have overlooked

Did you see who was given the responsibility to mark Vardy when we had corners to cove his pace in the event of a ''breakaway'' and who in the second half on Saturday, chased him back the full length of the field and caught him and put I a tackle when Vardy was bearing down on goal. That very same Vardy who runs defenders raged with his pace. What was his name again.Oh Yeh.....Jamie Murphy

Of course great. But I thought when we signed Murphy we were selling him as and exciting forward player not a workhorse who runs a lot.

An important quality but if that's what he's good at should we just play him at full back and sign a decent midfielder? Or play a better defensive player like Rosenior?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Of course great. But I thought when we signed Murphy we were selling him as and exciting forward player not a workhorse who runs a lot.

An important quality but if that's what he's good at should we just play him at full back and sign a decent midfielder?

LOL

Now Matt - We have signed you as a goalkeeper so use your hands - Not your feet. They are for standing upright only

And you Glenn your here to score goals , so I don't want you doing any of that defending nonsense

And you Knocky. You are here to do tricks and take the piss out of defenders. If I see you scoring goals you will be dropped instantly

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Excellent squad player at this level. Won't tear up trees but a total team player who'll do exactly the job given him by CH.

If I have an issue it's that him and Brown look to have been given tracking back assignments in the first two games plus Atleti. That really only allows one of March, Izquierdo and Knocky to have a go on the other flank. When the squad is fully assembled it'll be interesting to see if we go with two flat out pacy wingers. I hope so at home but I reckon we'll see a fair bit of Jamie away.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
LOL

Now Matt - We have signed you as a goalkeeper so use your hands - Not your feet. They are for standing upright only

And you Glenn your here to score goals , so I don't want you doing any of that defending nonsense

And you Knocky. You are here to do tricks and take the piss out of defenders. If I see you scoring goals you will be dropped instantly

:laugh:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
My 7 year old would be fuming with you for this thread.

In terms of what he does best I would look at the Reading game last year. He was superb. He broke up play, surged forward and was involved in all of our goals.

Also in the Man City game I don't think he looked out of place and a half decent centre mid display would have helped him out. At one stage he tore down the left hand side and was in a perfect position to deliver in a cross yet when he looked up there was no one there. As such, his only option was to double back.

I agree with others that he sometimes looks low on confidence. There is a bloody good player there and when he is confident he is a superb addition to the squad and just what we will need at this level as he works best on the counter attack (again see Reading last year). As has been discussed before he is often in a great position yet the players tended to look for Knockaert last season. Probably because he and Bruno are a strong partnership and get the crowd going.

We are two games in to our first season in the Premier League. Should we stop getting on the back of all of our players, you know, the ones that got us here?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Works hard, around 6'0" so helps out at set pieces at the back. Not the quickest but tracks back defensively. Best played as an inside forward so he can cut inside, as he is right footed but invariably plays on the left wing in a 4-4-2. Solid squad player, only in his mid 20's I think - nice option to have, just perhaps not a match winner on his own at the top level of the game

Basically, quietly getting on with the job :)

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
I remember a game at home to Brentford about 18 months ago when he was easily the best player on the pitch (that was according to their manager too).

He's been excellent on several occasions since too. Has the ability to be very good - not consistent enough offensively perhaps - but because he always puts in a shift, even when he is isn't on his game he's still contributing. Also still improving his game I expect having risen through the leagues at a young age.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
I remember a game at home to Brentford about 18 months ago when he was easily the best player on the pitch (that was according to their manager too).

He's been excellent on several occasions since too. Has the ability to be very good - not consistent enough offensively perhaps - but because he always puts in a shift, even when he is isn't on his game he's still contributing. Also still improving his game I expect having risen through the leagues at a young age.

I don't doubt that he's had good games. I remember commenting on his few good performances last season.

It's all well and good looking decent against an average championship team but didn't do regularly enough for me or in big enough games to justify him staying this season. The one first team player in the squad I would have sold in the summer.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I don't doubt that he's had good games. I remember commenting on his few good performances last season.

It's all well and good looking decent against an average championship team but didn't do regularly enough for me or in big enough games to justify him staying this season. The one first team player in the squad I would have sold in the summer.

Thread closed then :moo:

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
I thought he was our best offensive player against Leicester and also arguably against Man City when he came on.

Even so. That's not a high bar considering how little we did attack. We have better offensive options out on loan.

Murphy being in the team for his defensive abilities is self perpetuating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here