Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Murphy

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I prefer Skalak. He is a superb crosser of the ball and has a deadly finish. Neither of which are true of Murphy.

It's almost as if they are different players, with different attributes.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No offence intended but surely he's as good as if not better than most of the Scottish wingers knocking around.

Not played in PL till now whereas Ritchie and Snodgrass have. I think that's what's held him back. Even in Scotland very few former Motherwell players make the squad until after they leave Motherwell. Tom Boyd, Phil O'Donnell, Brian Mc Clair, James Mc Fadden, all great players when young but never selected until they left Motherwell.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Ideal 4th choice wide attacking player for the 2 positions. Have Gross and Brown more central. Plenty of strikers now.

Expect we will only keep 1 of Murphy, Brown and Baldock beyond the end of this season with Brown the very obvious back to Chelsea unless we buy him. Those 3 are all battling to earn a place in the long term squad but all deserve that chance over 12 months. Skalak I just think this is one step too far similar to Lua Lua but wish him luck as a nice Championship player and team-mate.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Can't head a ball to save himself. And he gave the bay away to Leicester in the first minute that led to their first goal.

But I also quite like him and think he is underrated. I have never understood why he doesn't do better when playing the Baldock role as he seems to have all the necessary attributes.

Can't head a ball to save himself. And he gave the bay away to Leicester in the first minute that led to their first goal.

But I also quite like him and think he is underrated. I have never understood why he doesn't do better when playing the Baldock role as he seems to have all the necessary attributes.

Except the instinctive ability to know when to make the right runs that Baldock does so well. Yes that squandering of a prime attacking position in the first minute proved so costly - Knocky would have been a better bet in that position

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I think he had looked better this year than last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
To give the ball away in an offensive position in the opening 30 seconds on Saturday was unforgiveable. He could have played it back to a colleague or even played for a corner ( what a boost that would have given us and rocked Leics back ) Instead, he panicked when confronted with a defender and was caught in two minds. He feebly stabbed the ball straight at the Leics man, from whence it was whipped upfield and ultimately into the back of our net, after further poor play from Suttner and Ryan.
His inability to go past players on the outside and his propensity for cutting in on his right foot makes him extremely limited at PL level. He is lightweight in a division that demands physicality and positivity. He has been lauded on here for his defensive qualities but we need as much offensive strength as possible in this division. We need players who can unsettle good, experienced PL defenders. I can see it in Knocky, March and hopefully JI. Jamie Murphy hasn't enough tricks in his locker to worry anyone at this level and what he does defensively can be replicated by a number of players.
Good, solid Championship player. Will be found wanting at this level.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm not exactly a big fan of Murphy to be blunt and direct about it. I think we need better for this league.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm not a big fan of Murphy, like others above, I feel that he could be a lot better player than we have seen.

But CH selects him and he knows a lot more about the merits of him than I ever will.

Having said that I expect him to be more of a squad player, than a first team starter for the rest of the season.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Why have so many come out the woodwork to slag the team off

There is serious debate going on about individual players, as there always has been and there always will be. After two games, it is apparent which players, at present, have appeared to struggle to adapt to a higher level. It is healthy and natural to want to discuss these individuals and to see what the consensus is. Are they going to improve or or they going to need replacing?
There appears to be quite a high level of sensitivity on this forum regarding any criticism of the team at all, almost as if they deserve a free pass because of what they achieved last season and who they have played so far. I can understand this feeling, to some extent and after two games it is far too early to predict the future outcome but there are still facts that have to discussed.
1) The team has made too many mistakes, thus far, for anyone to be comfortable with.
2) None of the ' new ' signings have hit the ground running and none look totally comfortable at PL level, at present.
3) No one can currently say that they have absolute faith in our new goalkeeper, possibly the key position for a newly promoted club.
4) Some of last seasons key players have not started well at this level.
5) Not enough players at the moment look immediately comfortable at this level. Possibly less than half the team.
6) The manager has appeared to adopt a fairly defensive outlook thus far but is this down to the team still being crafted and opposition encountered so far?
All this is worthy of debate and analysis. We are all desperate to survive at this level, having worked so hard to get here but it shouldn't stop constructive criticism and dialogue. We all have differing opinions. There is no shame in that. No team, even if they are world beaters should be above criticism. It is about constant improvement. As players and as fans. Both are on a steep learning curve and both are making mistakes but none of us will learn from them unless there is open and honest debate.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
'@NooBHA doesn't take kindly to someone dissing his fave player. But like the (Jamie) Murphy(s), he's not bitter' :drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

(For those who remember it...)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is serious debate going on about individual players, as there always has been and there always will be. After two games, it is apparent which players, at present, have appeared to struggle to adapt to a higher level. It is healthy and natural to want to discuss these individuals and to see what the consensus is. Are they going to improve or or they going to need replacing?
There appears to be quite a high level of sensitivity on this forum regarding any criticism of the team at all, almost as if they deserve a free pass because of what they achieved last season and who they have played so far. I can understand this feeling, to some extent and after two games it is far too early to predict the future outcome but there are still facts that have to discussed.
1) The team has made too many mistakes, thus far, for anyone to be comfortable with.
2) None of the ' new ' signings have hit the ground running and none look totally comfortable at PL level, at present.
3) No one can currently say that they have absolute faith in our new goalkeeper, possibly the key position for a newly promoted club.
4) Some of last seasons key players have not started well at this level.
5) Not enough players at the moment look immediately comfortable at this level. Possibly less than half the team.
6) The manager has appeared to adopt a fairly defensive outlook thus far but is this down to the team still being crafted and opposition encountered so far?
All this is worthy of debate and analysis. We are all desperate to survive at this level, having worked so hard to get here but it shouldn't stop constructive criticism and dialogue. We all have differing opinions. There is no shame in that. No team, even if they are world beaters should be above criticism. It is about constant improvement. As players and as fans. Both are on a steep learning curve and both are making mistakes but none of us will learn from them unless there is open and honest debate.

Congratulations, did you go for the flux capacitor or spinning umbrella design?
Either way well done, I'm sure we'll be hearing more about it after you have presented it to your fellow inventors.

I think a Noble Prize will be coming your way.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here