Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the time finally come to give our young guns a chance?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
As ridiculous threads go the last 24 hours has been pretty prolific, so here's my offering:

Q: what is the point of our current development squad?

March, Dunk, Cook, Jake Robinson and Simon Fox aside, why bother?

We are desperate for some pace and urgency in the central final third and what do we have? Two sluggish target men and a crocked genuine number 10. I say chuck Tilley right in the deep end and see what happens.

Better dead than smeg.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Spot on, Kosh.

We're paying Aaron Connelly too, time he started scoring goals in the Premier League.

And why has Sanchez got a squad number if he's not going be in goal from time to time? Sink or swim, pal!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Spot on, Kosh.

We're paying Aaron Connelly too, time he started scoring goals in the Premier League.

And why has Sanchez got a squad number if he's not going be in goal from time to time? Sink or swim, pal!

You ain't just whistling Dixie.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maybe a run out from the bench on Tuesday if we are comfortably ahead otherwise leave them to the Development squad. Throwing them in and finding them out of their depth will knock them back and also mean more lost points for the Albion

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
No much too soon to throw them in at the deep end.

So; when do we chuck 'em in?!?

When we sell them to an rival team, where they flourish?!? When they've been on loan to Dagenham for so long they're like 28?!?

We only seem to operate our Dev to 'develop' league 1 and 2 clubs, or offload future stars for nothing.

Chuck 'em in Grandad, you know you want to...

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Maybe a run out from the bench on Tuesday if we are comfortably ahead otherwise leave them to the Development squad. Throwing them in and finding them out of their depth will knock them back and also mean more lost points for the Albion

But my friend - they are not developing in the development squad - are they? They're at best treading water. Tilley has something special - I bet Everton regret chucking that 16 year old Rooney fellow in...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
But my friend - they are not developing in the development squad - are they? They're at best treading water. Tilley has something special - I bet Everton regret chucking that 16 year old Rooney fellow in...

So Tilley is the new Rooney?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
So Tilley is the new Rooney?

Certainly not... but if he's never given a chance then we will never know his potential will we! Don't underestimate what a chance given and taken can do for a player who might just prove to be a star. Conversely how those never given a chance can lose belief and never fulfil their potential.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have 3 or 4 out on loan to League 1 and 2 clubs and White seems to be doing well at Newport and Walton at Wigan so will probably come back better players to benefit us.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Certainly not... but if he's never given a chance then we will never know his potential will we! Don't underestimate what a chance given and taken can do for a player who might just prove to be a star. Conversely how those never given a chance can lose belief and never fulfil their potential.
Everton knew how good and how ready Rooney was when they gave him a debut, and our club know how good and how ready Tilley is. You and I don't.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
100% agree with the OP.

We have no idea unless we give them a chance. Best example for me is Rashford. He was nowhere near the Man U until they had a load of injuries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smartferndale

Mar 21, 2013
young guns

Start by having a spell on the first team bench, gain the squad experience. We need to win games, even cup ones to build confidence. So slip one of Tilley, Cox etc in but not all at once. There will be one who surprises us.
Collar will leave but without really getting a chance. Good player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
We have no idea unless we give them a chance.

well we have a bit of an idea:
Many of them will play against adult teams in the U23s/ EFL CUP
The Dev squad train alongside the First team squad which is one of the benefits of Lancing
They obviously play regular competitive football in the u21 leagues/cups and some play youth/international football.
Some of our Dev squad have been loaned out to adult teams in lower leagues and are watched by club.
The quality of our Dev squad players , at least based on transfer fees, has been upped recently with the signings of Kerr, Normann, Alzate, Mateju and Ahannach. Several of which were £1m+ fees so its getting closer.

We also have a first team squad of 25 or so with many of those first team players not playing regular first team football which is why CH often uses them in the cups as opposed to Dev Squad players.

but the idea the club have no idea unless they put them on the bench of a premier league game because we've lost a couple of games in a row and have nothing to lose...
probably not.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Daftest idea that I have ever heard.

You spend all these years dreaming of getting to the PL and then when you get there and are 2 games in you say lets play the youngsters

boik

As ridiculous threads go the last 24 hours has been pretty prolific, so here's my offering:

Q: what is the point of our current development squad?

March, Dunk, Cook, Jake Robinson and Simon Fox aside, why bother?

We are desperate for some pace and urgency in the central final third and what do we have? Two sluggish target men and a crocked genuine number 10. I say chuck Tilley right in the deep end and see what happens.

Better dead than smeg.

Looked better when Knocky came on, so he will move defences around a bit more and create space/chances for our sluggish target men and whoever is on the other wing. Lets give our current squad a little more than 2 games shall we before panicking?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Daftest idea that I have ever heard.

You spend all these years dreaming of getting to the PL and then when you get there and are 2 games in you say lets play the youngsters

As stooopid as this thread is, (and it's clearly very stooopid) it's not as if the OP is saying 'drop like for like Premier League players in favour of the kids'.

More an acceptance of needing to do something while we wait for the transfer policy to kick in.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here