Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the time finally come to give our young guns a chance?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Maybe not throw them straight into the first team, however I know who I'd prefer to be on the bench out of Tilley and Skalak.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thinking about it, i guess this is the price we pay for having a classy honourable manager.

Were 'arry in our dug out on Saturday we'd have had a 4 man bench consisting of:-

Tilley
Tilley's little sister
Niko Kranjcar
& a halibut.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Has the time finally come to give our young guns a chance?

YES.

Tomorrow night.

So Goldson, Uwe, Maenpaa, Bong, Skalak, Ince, Towell, Rosenior, Knockaert, Izquierdo etc who aren't first choice, haven't had much game time and/or haven't had a full pre- season should stand down then ?

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So Goldson, Uwe, Maenpaa, Bong, Skalak, Maenpaa, Towell, Rosenior, Knockaert, Izquierdo etc who aren't first choice, haven't had much game time and/or haven't had a full pre- season should stand down then ?

New player? :moo:

PS Does leave space for a few on the bench does it not?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
New player? :moo:

PS Does leave space for a few on the bench does it not?

It does but if you look at the EFL cup line ups from last year then don't expect more than 1-2 Dev Squad picks. If that.
Against Reading in the 3rd round last year only Rob Hunt got a look in.
Cadman (now gone) , and Tilley made the bench v Oxford in Round 2.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If the absolute worst happens (not expecting it to at this stage!), and we are relegated with a few games to go then I say bring in any promising young players to the first team squad, sub or start, and give them that experience. Nothing to lose at that stage. :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It does but if you look at the EFL cup line ups from last year then don't expect more than 1-2 Dev Squad picks. If that.
Against Reading in the 3rd round last year only Rob Hunt got a look in.
Cadman (now gone) , and Tilley made the bench v Oxford in Round 2.

Around the two/three mark is what i would expect ...and as you say giving the rest of the squad 90 mins is the norm......i think the OP is joshing with his call on giving the DS squad a chance at this moment in time.

Slightly off topic....if i recall correctly didn't Pat Saward call on youth after 14(?) consecutive losses?....the time of only one sub and much smaller squads

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If the absolute worst happens (not expecting it to at this stage!), and we are relegated with a few games to go then I say bring in any promising young players to the first team squad, sub or start, and give them that experience. Nothing to lose at that stage. :)

You could have said

'Comfortable on 48 points with a few games to go then I say bring in any promising young players to the first team squad, sub or start, and give them that experience. Nothing to lose at that stage'.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
well we have a bit of an idea:
Many of them will play against adult teams in the U23s/ EFL CUP
The Dev squad train alongside the First team squad which is one of the benefits of Lancing
They obviously play regular competitive football in the u21 leagues/cups and some play youth/international football.
Some of our Dev squad have been loaned out to adult teams in lower leagues and are watched by club.
The quality of our Dev squad players , at least based on transfer fees, has been upped recently with the signings of Kerr, Normann, Alzate, Mateju and Ahannach. Several of which were £1m+ fees so its getting closer.

We also have a first team squad of 25 or so with many of those first team players not playing regular first team football which is why CH often uses them in the cups as opposed to Dev Squad players.

but the idea the club have no idea unless they put them on the bench of a premier league game because we've lost a couple of games in a row and have nothing to lose...
probably not.

Steve Cook anyone?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Seem to remember the 1st game Tomori played for us on loan from Chelsea and the all knowing NSC deemed him a development squad player at best , within a month he had been likened to Rio ferdinand in his prime among other exceptional players by the same all knowing panel , at the moment I THINK we have 4 DS players that could quite easily sit comfortable on our bench on matchday that's without seeing the new additions play , that for me is a fair return on the DS system and well worth investing in for the future of this club , would i chuck those 4 on the bench saturday ? No absolutely not , the reason being i know fook all about managing a football team , if they're good enough they're old enough is a good reliable guide to these DS players at the moment and i would hope if one of the lads does look good enough the manager will see it and chuck him in .

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
As stooopid as this thread is, (and it's clearly very stooopid) it's not as if the OP is saying 'drop like for like Premier League players in favour of the kids'.

More an acceptance of needing to do something while we wait for the transfer policy to kick in.

I would never knowingly deny starting a stupid thread.

Yes it is a bit ridiculous, but I wasn't advocating starting three or four of our prospects against Watford! rather considering our lack of mobility and truly woeful central movement, perchance giving one of our mobile youngsters a chance to shine has now become a viable option?!?

Is this too much to ask of the academy/dev squad? If so, currently, why bother?!?

This and NSC is full to the brim with ridicuthreads... if you can't beat 'em etc.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
its pretty farcical to be in the premier league with only 2 target men available for our striking options. Certainly would throw Connolly and Tilley on against Barnet with a view to them being considered for the bench at Watford.

Ideally we will sign someone of note before Watford although it all looks like its going to deadline day in this regard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here