Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who took you to your first Brighton game...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My uncle collected me from the foster home and told me that today was a very important day that you will remember forever and that my grandad would be proud (he died before I was born and was vicar of St Barnabas on Sackville) of me.

Tottenham 1977

I don't remember much about the game to be honest, he was very angry at times even though we won (I later learned he likes a scrap) and I never went again for several years but he sowed the seeds.

When your young and kinda lost you need a connection, The Abion are mine because that's where I am from, and music because that's how I feel.

He is very ill at the moment and lives in Yorkshire now I send him programs and the Argus every now and again I owe him that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Doc, I too remember having to get in to the North back in the 70's as early as 1.30 to get where we wanted to be. 90 minutes of having nothing to do apart from banter and having to watch the hallowed Goldstone turf. Great great days!

I don't think they let us in any earlier hence the 1.30 memory.

Indeed. And I used to go on the East Terrace. Thing was, I needed somthing to lean on (undiagnosed scoliosis) and without that I would have backache after 2 minutes free-standing. So I arrived when I had to arrive. Then, a few minutes before KO, some tall tit would stand in front of me. :ffsparr:

:lolol: It is all LOVELY, now, in WSU :rock::cheers:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Actually, no. I first bumped into 'AFW' (with his splendid dad, if I recall rightly) in a football context, at a BHA game, at the Swindon playoff semi, not so long ago, in the great scheme of life's mysterious stream. On NSC I had to poke him quite heavily before he remembered me, a while ago. Despite living 3 doors away for about 15 years, we didn't interact greatly. His brother Neil and my brother Graham had a splendid time, though, playing together regularly then getting into fights. Well, handbags. It was hugly amusing. :rolleyes:

All the best from sunny Kent. Oh, hang on, it's gone all dark....:lolol::bigwave:

As they say, it's a small world, you'll always have a chance of bumping into someone from your childhood, somewhere down the line.
I know AFW, from where I work now, although he's moved on, I still work with people who know him, all good though.
Most lads I grew up with supported Liverpool, so I was the lone Albion fan, not so bad, you get to meet others on the way to the games, travelling on the train :cheers:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I lived in London, not much more than a stone's throw from The Valley but each summer I was sent to stay with my nan who lived in St Paul's Street off Lewes Road. I spent every day of every summer at the County Ground watching anything from County games to the Martlets. When my parents joined us for their holiday it coincided with Albion's first ever game in the old Division 2 against Aston Villa. My dad took me along although he had less interest in football than the egg chasing game. We stood just under the West Stand by the tunnel & I remember you could smell the linament as the players ran out. Despite our losing on that day, and despite regularly watching Charlton I was hooked & I've been an Albion fan from that day forward. For years until we moved down to live in Hove my nan sent me Monday's Argus sports pages every week.

Last edited:

Jameson

1st Heathfield Cub Scouts trip. South Stand seats. 1969. Albion 3 Crewe A 1. I remember looking up at the North Stand with all the colour and noise and knew that's where I wanted to be next time. Which is exactly what happened. Against Port Vale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
My friend took me who was a Palace fan ironically Brighton wolves august 1991 3 3 draw

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
My Dad.

Brighton 1-0 West Ham. Wednesday 10th April 1991.
Byrne

Very memorable for the great atmosphere sitting in the south stand. Plenty of chances at either end. I remember Iain Dowie having a shot cleared off the line and Perry Digweed having a fine game. Seeing Dowie close up gave me nightmares for weeks after though. :eek:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My dad. It was against Walsall, Jan/Feb 1967 - we lost 3-2 but I was hooked from then on.

Zeff

Jun 1, 2009
Southwick
My Grandad Albert took me in 1979, and I belive it was against Fulham, and we were sat in the main west stand. I am proud to have continued the family tradition. I have just become a Dad, and my Sons middle name is Albert, he would probably not belive that Brighton have made it back to the top division after the **** of the 90's, but I hope he's looking down and smiling on both accounts now.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Dad took me when I was aged 5 in 1963

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
My Dad.

Brighton 1-0 West Ham. Wednesday 10th April 1991.
Byrne

Very memorable for the great atmosphere sitting in the south stand. Plenty of chances at either end. I remember Iain Dowie having a shot cleared off the line and Perry Digweed having a fine game. Seeing Dowie close up gave me nightmares for weeks after though. :eek:

Not a bad first game to attend :clap2: - remember this one pretty well, Trevor Morley (remember the stab chant) Ian Bishop and big Ludeck Miklosko in goal...

It was this season that my true love affair with the Albion started and for that reason to this day John Byrne remains my all time favourite.. this was also probably my first evening match that I attended alone as a 15 year old lad. Saturday evening job washing up in a pub paid me enough to cover train tricket and entrance to the North Stand with my yellow membership card.

Happy days indeed albeit fair to say that this was the high point for quite some time and it went south for a number of seasons after :albion2:

BN1Matty

Aug 19, 2017
My Dad

Priestfield Stadium

Boxing day 1997

Colchester 3-0 down at half time, don't think Dad could believe it questioning himself haha. We managed to draw 4-4 and I got to write the fans comments in the argus (still one of my best Albion games)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
A couple of Sussex University fans of Manchester United dragged me along. I only agreed as I wanted to see what all the fuss was about Malcolm Allison's Palace. Albion won 2-0 and my life sentence began :wink:

I had been a long distance armchair/radio fan of Spurs before that, although I'd never been to a game.

Great first game (it was my second). 34,000 crowd and the birth of the 'Seagulls' chant!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here