Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who took you to your first Brighton game...

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
1st Malling Cubs. 1985 vs Oxford. My only recollection is the massive punch up in Hove Park after the match, as we were being ushered away to safety up the Old Shoreham Road....

(Just googled it and the match ended 0-0, Which probably explains why I can only remember the punch up)

True Bassist

Sep 3, 2011
Hassocks
My dad took my to the abandoned BHAFC vs. York City at The Goldstone on 27 April 1996. My lasting memory of that match was my dad whisking away quite quickly as I was only 6!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
BR.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Friend's dad, Gillingham, was a young kid maybe 11. Had wanted to go before but was a long way to go solo to Brighton from Hastings and mum never fell for the let's go shopping and I can just leave you be for a couple hours angle

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My Dad, 1964 evening game against Millwall in the League Cup I think. We beat them 2-1 I think and we were on the East terrace and I had a beer crate to stand on.
I was 8 years old and couldnt believe some of the words that these rough London chaps were saying, dad said they were talking Cockney TWATS why I didnt understand what they meant.

Very direct language, even for 1964.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My brother and myself took ourselves to the game. My dad told us both to go to what turned out to be our first game in 1975 against palace. We stood in the north west corner as we had no idea where to go..

I am the only one left from the four of us who used to go all over the country supporting brighton...my dad has passed away, my mum stopped going after a unpleasant incident with our" fans" or tossers more like, down at Portsmouth who one of same started fighting with people thinking they were Pompey fans and hit my mother...it is the only time I have ever fought a brighton fan..my dad had to drag me off as I was going to kill this guy! My brother gave up on brighton a few years ago after a contre temps with a couple of brighton fans in the north stand at a Huddersfield game and he is now a STH at town. So it's just me left now.

D

Deleted User X18H

My Dad 1976. I am sure it was home to York. Also a strong memory for Peter Grummit's testimonial. The bright orange cinder track and Mullers taking to the field and stroking it about. My dad Ben took me to that as well.

My Brother in law was a regular in the late sixties and stopped going when he got married had kids etc.

He started going again when he went with some mates to the Scarborough match in the FA Cup (A 23000 normal priced crowd v a non league side)

mentioned it to me and said he'd take me to the next match, I was only 10 and hated football as did my parents and my brother and sister.

The match was a 5-1 victory over Mansfield with Wardy scoring a hatrick, the rest re:the football was history.

I looked up to my Brother in law in many ways, but within 5 years my sister had left him due to a violent and abusive marriage, it was hard to dislike a man i one looked up to and stayed in touch for a while, however before long his schizophrenia had taken hold and with his medication before long he barely recognised me.

My sister got on with her life, and the kids have contact with him and although I no longer see him (reasons I won't go into) I often look back at my first ever match and am eternally greatful to him for a lifetime of pleasure and pain of supporting the Albion and my subsequent involvement with my local non league club which in turn is passed on to my young son guaranteeing him a lifetime of good friends

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
My big brother, 1966. I was 5 and remember thinking it was just amazing. I was hooked and still am. No idea who we played.

First away game was at Bournemouth, April 1972 just before my 11th birthday. Thank heavens I found the Albion.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My dad, an Arsenal fan, took me to the Goldstone to see us play Reading in a top of the table clash back in the early 70's. The stands were rammed and I couldn't see much despite standing on my orange box.

Crikey, that was a horrible match. Me and my chums (the same trio I mentioned elsewhere) spent the whole match hanging off the fence that separated the SW corner from the West stand (posh seats). It was so packed that was as far as we could get. All we saw was a goalkeeper taking the ball out of the net. I think we lost 1-2. What did we learn? Get there earlier - and we did - used to get in as early as 1.30 after that. FFS.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Crikey, that was a horrible match. Me and my chums (the same trio I mentioned elsewhere) spent the whole match hanging off the fence that separated the SW corner from the West stand (posh seats). It was so packed that was as far as we could get. All we saw was a goalkeeper taking the ball out of the net. I think we lost 1-2. What did we learn? Get there earlier - and we did - used to get in as early as 1.30 after that. FFS.

Doc, I too remember having to get in to the North back in the 70's as early as 1.30 to get where we wanted to be. 90 minutes of having nothing to do apart from banter and having to watch the hallowed Goldstone turf. Great great days!

I don't think they let us in any earlier hence the 1.30 memory.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

I think we won that match 2-1

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is the Andy from Wiltshire? :)

Actually, no. I first bumped into 'AFW' (with his splendid dad, if I recall rightly) in a football context, at a BHA game, at the Swindon playoff semi, not so long ago, in the great scheme of life's mysterious stream. On NSC I had to poke him quite heavily before he remembered me, a while ago. Despite living 3 doors away for about 15 years, we didn't interact greatly. His brother Neil and my brother Graham had a splendid time, though, playing together regularly then getting into fights. Well, handbags. It was hugly amusing. :rolleyes:

All the best from sunny Kent. Oh, hang on, it's gone all dark....:lolol::bigwave:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here