Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic Leicester fans

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Do you believe all the stewards at the Amex and away grounds receive this training, because I don't

Perhaps not but I have been in the police control room at the Amex and it is one of the most sophisticated operations of CCTV monitoring that I have ever seen. Every inch of the ground is covered for about a 4 hour period on match days and there is a sophisticated microphone system in place. And even if the sound is not picked up. Once complaints have been made against a certain section of the crowd that's when you bring in experts to analyse it if someone were to bring a Private Prosecution. We are not far away from an individual or Political Group doing this.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A chap at my workplace says that he was at the game with his 12 yr-old and was up in the top left hand corner near to where all the aggro seemed to be. "Aids-ridden mongrel" was his pick of the comments by Leicester fans.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A chap at my workplace says that he was at the game with his 12 yr-old and was up in the top left hand corner near to where all the aggro seemed to be. "Aids-ridden mongrel" was his pick of the comments by Leicester fans.

You've got to wonder what is going on in someone's head to shout that out in front of thousands of people.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Interesting, given Leicester'a population is 20% Muslim maybe that refrain should have been adapted to "you're too Islamic to be gay?".

Or, "we're not going on the roof with you".

If we are going to be subject to Premier League abuse, then just like our football team I think we need to be much sharper in our counter attacking play.....

A pedant writes: the vast majority of Leicester's significant ethnic Asian community are Hindu or Sikh (around one in five of the city's population). Muslims make up considerably smaller numbers :thumbsup:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Perhaps not but I have been in the police control room at the Amex and it is one of the most sophisticated operations of CCTV monitoring that I have ever seen. Every inch of the ground is covered for about a 4 hour period on match days and there is a sophisticated microphone system in place. And even if the sound is not picked up. Once complaints have been made against a certain section of the crowd that's when you bring in experts to analyse it if someone were to bring a Private Prosecution. We are not far away from an individual or Political Group doing this.

I have no doubt the technology at the Amex is probably amongst the best you can have and was also probably a big part in the Brighton Police action against the Barnsley fan, but how does that help the Brighton fans when being subjected to homophobic treatment NOT only by away fans but away stewards also?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
The Kemptown village is known as the gay area of Brighton with St James' Street as the focal point.

What a lot if these residents of grim northern towns don't realise is that Brighton attracts their own gay residents as they are more accepted by the city. Therefore the gay population of Brighton are largely not born and bred here. There is no evidence to suggest that Brighton has anymore or less gay people born in the city.

Would it make the chanting any more or less offensive if it did then? ???

Abuse based on a perceived characteristic (as opposed to an actual or known characteristic) is still an offence under the law of this country.

Say you believed somebody to be of a particular ethnic background, and shouted something racist at him on that basis: the fact that he subsequently turns out not to be of that particular ethnicity doesn't mean the behaviour is therefore lawful. The Leicester fans (and fans of any club) screaming "******s" because of a perception of Brighton as having a large LGBT population are still crossing a line of acceptable behaviour.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
We should sing something different when it crops up I think. Something like:

We're heard it before
We've heard it before
It's f**king boring
We've heard it before

Lovely stuff :clap:

(At least in response to Does Your Boyfriend etc)

Personally, I can't believe how stuck in the Dark Ages some of these opposition fans are. It's 2017, for crying out loud. Boyfriends are so 2012. We have husbands now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry to distract from the important points being made in this thread but it's Kemp Town, not Kemptown. It's not a village; and St James's Street (not St James' Street) is not in Kemp Town!
I'm not knowledgeable on Kemp Town/Kemptown - I had assumed it included St James's Street, so just googled where the boundaries were. I typed "where is kemp town brighton" and Google came back with "Did you mean: where is kemptown brighton". It also came up with a map with an area called Kemptown which includes St James's Street. On Google Maps it's shown as Kemptown (I realise that doesn't make it fact, I'm just learning here).

From Wiki: "The area takes its name from Thomas Read Kemp's Kemp Town residential estate of the early 19th Century, but the one-word name now refers to an area larger than the original development and is more correctly King's Cliff".

What's going on?!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Amazing isn't it an hour away from London and your back in the 80's.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Important points [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] - it's usually me picking up other people's errors. Kemp Town is not village in the normal sense but it is described as such in tourist or estate agent blurb.

If St James's Street is not in Kemp Town where is it?

I'm not knowledgeable on Kemp Town/Kemptown - I had assumed it included St James's Street, so just googled where the boundaries were. I typed "where is kemp town brighton" and Google came back with "Did you mean: where is kemptown brighton". It also came up with a map with an area called Kemptown which includes St James's Street. On Google Maps it's shown as Kemptown (I realise that doesn't make it fact, I'm just learning here).

From Wiki: "The area takes its name from Thomas Read Kemp's Kemp Town residential estate of the early 19th Century, but the one-word name now refers to an area larger than the original development and is more correctly King's Cliff".

What's going on?!

There is some discussion of it here:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...rbucks-in-ST-JAMES-street-is-not-in-Kemp-Town

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Would it make the chanting any more or less offensive if it did then? ???

Abuse based on a perceived characteristic (as opposed to an actual or known characteristic) is still an offence under the law of this country.

Say you believed somebody to be of a particular ethnic background, and shouted something racist at him on that basis: the fact that he subsequently turns out not to be of that particular ethnicity doesn't mean the behaviour is therefore lawful. The Leicester fans (and fans of any club) screaming "******s" because of a perception of Brighton as having a large LGBT population are still crossing a line of acceptable behaviour.

My point was that the Leicester fans were probably being abusive to gay people from their own city residing in Brighton along with gay people from other grim northern towns.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
Having just caught up the the interesting documentary Gareth Thomas did about homophobia and football on iplayer the day before the Leics game... (unsure if fixtures as was away end of July when first broadcast), it holds no surprise that this thread exists. He interviewed top brass at the PFA, one in post for years re homophobia.. she smacked of incompetence - implied by his piece to camera after meeting her and Gordon Taylor. The Kick It Out campaign rep basically said it is getting better, but clubs are hit and miss.... and the most telling thing of all is that the head of the FA refused to talk to him. There is no whole game approach to this issue. Alas a long way to go... and as mentioned, this prob wil not change until very high profile players put their head above the parapet and come out..... didn't help Fash did it!
BHA are on it btw....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I disagree, and there is a very simple way to apply a moral hierarchy plus where crimes should be measured on the order of police priorities, and that is the consequences of crime on the victims.
I'm fine with that. But that doesn't mean we should only investigate the worst crimes, that would be daft.

This thread is full of rage and angst about this issue, which I'm sure is genuine and to a point entire understandable, however like everything in life there is a cost to pay, i.e. the quid pro quo. This is the practical reality of moving this crime up the order of Police priorities, because this is not just going to impact on the police of course but also the CPS, the courts etc.
The police that attend our games are paid for by the clubs, right? It doesn't come out of the general police budget. And while the police and stewards are there, I don't imagine it costs any more to throw people out for homophobic chanting. The clubs can also take their names and ban them from coming back without any time wasted in the courts.

Pushing what is likely to be hundreds of purpetrators through the criminal justice system wil have consequences.
If a few of the worst offenders are prosecuted in court, along with others being excluded from games and the (sports) media pointing out that homophobia isn't acceptable, that should do the job. We're not talking about clogging up our justice system here.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Having just caught up the the interesting documentary Gareth Thomas did about homophobia and football on iplayer the day before the Leics game... (unsure if fixtures as was away end of July when first broadcast), it holds no surprise that this thread exists. He interviewed top brass at the PFA, one in post for years re homophobia.. she smacked of incompetence - implied by his piece to camera after meeting her and Gordon Taylor. The Kick It Out campaign rep basically said it is getting better, but clubs are hit and miss.... and the most telling thing of all is that the head of the FA refused to talk to him. There is no whole game approach to this issue. Alas a long way to go... and as mentioned, this prob wil not change until very high profile players put their head above the parapet and come out..... didn't help Fash did it!
BHA are on it btw....

If Paul Barber was there and witnessed all this homophobia he will be making strong complaints to both Leicester City and the FA, after his comments on the subject back back in February this year.
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...calls-for-more-action-to-stamp-out-homophobia

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here