Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Put Knockaert in the number 10 role?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yep - and that went well.

Hughton had plenty of opportunities to do this last year and never did. On the numerous occasions Baldock was out injured he always played Murray and Hemed together which never looked or felt right either.

Ironic that Hogan murdered us that day - he would have been ideal this season.....

He is no way near good enough for us for this season and no better than we have., IMHO

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Izquierdo has played secondary striker/No.10 three times in the last three seasons.

He has been signed as a left winger and is an emergency option (like Skalak, Murphy, March & Knocky) in the centre when Baldock, Brown & Groß are injured or out of form.

Yep. Understood. He's another option up front/wings.

But you're right baldock, brown and gross are going to be our 2nd striker/#10 options with another striker imminently joining murray, Hemed.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Not sure what this 'no 10' role really is, we need someone up who has pace and can score goals AK has both those attributes. However I guess he is not playing because he has been seen as not fit enough.

I'm the same. I really don't know what that position constitutes. It seems to be someone who can make themselves available to a pass from defender or midfielder and be able to hold on to it, get it under control and distribute it wide or forward and bring your team into posessional play in a more advanced role.

I would like to see a physically stronger player in that role but they seem to be hard to find.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Yep - and that went well.

Hughton had plenty of opportunities to do this last year and never did. On the numerous occasions Baldock was out injured he always played Murray and Hemed together which never looked or felt right either.

Ironic that Hogan murdered us that day - he would have been ideal this season.....

By the way How did murray and Hemed get on in that run of 5 games ending with Wigan at home, after baldock was injured at end of last season ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Criminal ?

PS: So what exactly have Izquierdo, Brown, and Gross been signed for do you think ?

Why do you keep insisting that Gross is a number 10? He looked completely lost and crap yesterday in that position. I am not saying he is crap btw anymore than Knockaert and March are, it's just in the number 10 position that all three are crap :smile:

We really really need a proper number 10 not a makeshift one. It may be Izquierdo, I really hope so, although he looks more like a winger to me. Izzy Brown? Hmm

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
By the way How did murray and Hemed get on in that run of 5 games ending with Wigan at home, after baldock was injured at end of last season ?

I think how we have got in in the last five games is more relevant. How many goals have we scored?

We could well have got promoted the season before last if we had had a back up number 10 too. How many goals did we miss promotion by?

Sorry we have failed miserably in finding a back up for Baldock over three seasons. All my hopes rest with Izquierdo to end this dreadful recruitment in the number 10 position :smile:

Why can't you just hold you hand up FOR ONCE and agree that the club have not been perfect in every single aspect and have fallen down in the recruitment of a number 10? I am delighted they have got 95% right.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm the same. I really don't know what that position constitutes. It seems to be someone who can make themselves available to a pass from defender or midfielder and be able to hold on to it, get it under control and distribute it wide or forward and bring your team into posessional play in a more advanced role.

I would like to see a physically stronger player in that role but they seem to be hard to find.

I take it to mean the man who acts on the lay offs from the target man either GM or TH as it stands and also picks up the loose balls in the 6 yd box as a poacher.

José Izquierdo will probably be plonked there. Knockaert and March couldn't do it in the Championship so it won't work in the Premier League

It is actually criminal that we haven't addressed this problem over the last three seasons. Getting promoted brushed it under the carpet but we have been without cover, for injury prone Baldock, for that long now.
Doesn't look like Gross has the zip or trickery for 10 role. At this rate Baldock would walk back into the team, even with doubts over his physicality. Gross tried in deeper role

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I am not a massive fan of Baldock. I like him, he is a decent player but you are correct, he does seem to be the key to winning matches.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My quite probably wrong take on it, (which might explain some confusion) is all of the above but with the ability to then get passed the winger/forward for the return pass in a goal type situation.

Which to me explains the toothlessness of the current attack.
The wingers are wingers, and there's been nobody to get beyond Hemed/Murray up front.

Gross and Propper are clearly capable of making the first pass, but not receiving the return.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I am not a massive fan of Baldock. I like him, he is a decent player but you are correct, he does seem to be the key to winning matches.

You may not be a fan but until we see what Izquiredo is like he is the only player we have had for three years who can play no 10.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You may not be a fan but until we see what Izquiredo is like he is the only player we have had for three years who can play no 10.

I realise that..

I didn't say a wasn't a fan. I just said I wasn't massive fan and I did concede that when he plays there has been more success

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Well about one and a half years!! :lolol:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

If we are relying on Baldock coming back we're desperate im afraid, surely wont be in the 11 once we get a couple more signings??

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If we are relying on Baldock coming back we're desperate im afraid, surely wont be in the 11 once we get a couple more signings??

I don't know but you don't play a season with 11 players. There will be injuries and suspensions an so you need to be able to rely on the back up players in the squad as well as your substitutes

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

So you think that would work against Premier League defences? That attack was never balanced and a 2-1 home win against the might of Wigan or the reliance on a fantastic piece of skill from Pocognoli makes it justifiable?

Papered over the cracks

My quite probably wrong take on it, (which might explain some confusion) is all of the above but with the ability to then get passed the winger/forward for the return pass in a goal type situation.

Which to me explains the toothlessness of the current attack.
The wingers are wingers, and there's been nobody to get beyond Hemed/Murray up front.

Gross and Propper are clearly capable of making the first pass, but not receiving the return.

Nor Stephens - a fit on form Kayal is that player so losing him was a major blow

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here