Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glass half full or half empty?

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I think we will grow into the season and with a couple of wins, the confidence will return in spades.

I think the keeper will need to improve quickly or be dropped. I honestly think the other newbies will adapt and be fine. The window is still open and it's clear we need another striker but we still have Baldock to come back and Brown looks a good addition if he can stay fit.

Half-full :wink:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I can't wait for Vicarage Road, watching us settle into this difficult PL. Soon we'll have the new winger, hopefully a new striker combined with significant injury returns. A tough start, but a fascinating challenge.
Loving it.

View attachment 88381

Slightly worried that many posters seem to think it will happen next week. I expect us to lose. Watford look pretty useful.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Optimism_by_meppol.jpg

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Slightly worried that many posters seem to think it will happen next week. I expect us to lose. Watford look pretty useful.

We may well do. I'm looking forward to when Baldrick, Brown and Beram are back with the new guys. Exciting times. Patience is a virtue, and in the words of Bragg 'A virtue never tested is no virtue at all'.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
We may well do. I'm looking forward to when Baldrick, Brown and Beram are back with the new guys. Exciting times. Patience is a virtue, and in the words of Bragg 'A virtue never tested is no virtue at all'.

Agree about patience. Slight concern is that, say, three points after 10 games when the three are all fit leaves us a long way adrift.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Very much half-full. Only saw the 30 minute highlights on Sky (and listened to the game on radio) but, from what I saw, we were a totally different team when Knockaert came on. We were desperately missing someone picking the ball up and moving it quickly forwards (both dribbling and passing). With some more pace in the team, I think we will be fine. Knockaert brings this, Izquierdo will bring this and (hopefully) a new striker will bring this.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Never happy at Brighton losing ..but am i surprised no (watched it the last time we were in the top flight)..am i going to moan about it no..do i think we will improve yes ..long as the team give maximum effort i'll cheer them on come what may

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Hovering around half full. Remember we have just had two amazing seasons in the Championship and now we are with the big boys at last. I can remember going to the Goldstone to watch our first game in Div 1 against Arsenal and we were to put it politely thrashed , kicked off the park. But half way through season we went to Forest and ended the amazing unbeaten home record and after that we climbed out of trouble and survived for 4 seasons. Perhaps history will repeat itself. [emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
This and I'd be half full:

................................Ryan.............................

Bruno............Dunk.............Duffy.............Suttner

...................Kayal...........Propper.............

March......................................................Ezqueirdo

..........................................Murray/new signing
.......................Dwanema........................................

For me it's half full until.

.........................New Signing.............................

Bruno............Dunk.............Duffy.............New Signing

...................March...........Propper.............

knockaert......................................................Ezqueirdo

................New Signing.......New Signing................

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Middling to half full

I was really disappointed v City. I didn't expect a result and we put on a really good defensive performance but I thought we could have kept the ball better and not just given it back every time we got it. Yes the pressed us a huge amount but we were clearly suffering stage fright

I didn't expect a result against Leicester either but there were far more positives. The blunder at the outset must have impacted on the performance but even then I think we matched them in most areas and I don't agree it was easy as some commentators are suggesting. That said we could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored

Getting goals is not just about a striker it's about winning and keeping the ball, building up (midfield) and creating space with intelligent movement (up top) So whilst it's patently clear that we need a very capable striker (who will either cost oodles or be a needle in a haystack) I'm really hoping that our central midfield of Propper, Gross and Stephens can quickly settle down and get the hang of playing in the Prem. I've really no idea if they can or not but will have a better idea after the Newcastle game

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
For me it's half full until.

.........................New Signing.............................

Bruno............Dunk.............Duffy.............New Signing

...................March...........Propper.............

knockaert......................................................Ezqueirdo

................New Signing.......New Signing................

Think your be a 3rd full looking at that. The club will stick with Ryan for one

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I'm disappointed as I don't like seeing my team lose BUT in the two games so far we've lost against a Manchester City side who are so far above the rest of this division that it's untrue and a Leicester side that have rediscovered their mojo under Craig Shakespeare. There is no shame in that. Coupled with the fact that the new signings have to bed in properly I am quite confident that we'll survive this season. My only concern is that we need some more pace upfront - when Knockaert came on yesterday we looked so much better and his enthusiasm will spread throughout the side. With Jose's pace too I think we'll be OK.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8078706 said:
I genuinely believe that the frustration people are showing on this board is not down to the fact that we have lost two out of two but rather the fact that we have looked so toothless in attack and nervous in possession. We've known that we were at least two strikers short for YONKS and it is frustrating that we still haven't been able to get the players in. I'm not saying Tony, Barber and Co aren't trying, or that it is easy, however it is still very frustrating!

I still can't believe Stoke have signed Jesé Rodriguez!

Yep it's the performances not the losses that worry. No fans mind if we go down fighting but it's been as tame af so far

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Glass completely full.

I am still absorbing the fact that we are in the Premier League, 20 years after we were one game away from oblivion and 7 years after we were in League 1.

We have started with two hugely difficult fixtures against very experienced teams and have come away with dignity in defeat; no shame in losing to Man City and Leicester. Yesterday was rather unfortunate as it was an uphill task after conceding in the first minute.

It is going to take a bit of time for our new signings to settle in and for the team to gel, hopefully into the week-in, week-out cohesive unit we’ve been lucky enough to witness over the last two seasons. We have also seen the astonishing pace of the Premier League and how mistakes are punished in an instant. CH is savvy and he and the team will hopefully learn from this. We are a work-in-progress adapting to the demands of this higher level and it will take time. As others have said, we do look a bit toothless up front at the moment and that is my principal concern and hopefully one to be remedied soon.

And, heaven forbid, if it doesn’t work out come next May then the worst that’ll happen is that next season we’ll be back in the exciting Championship mounting another promotion campaign, only this time with a few quid in the club’s coffers.

My son and I have had two cracking days out so far even though we lost both games. On both occasions the Albion fans have been hugely supportive, and extremely vocal, and long may that continue – I am sure that the squad is uplifted by that. That’s our contribution and we all need to get behind the Albion for 38 games this season come what may.

We are in the Premier League. I intend to enjoy the ride whatever happens.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't even recognise the question. The last three games for the Albion have been like being the underdog team in a Champions League group FFS: Atletico Madrid, Man City, Leicester. Not been disgraced in any of them. Glass completely full.

This is a great observation. It doesn't make it any easier to watch your team lose but it does put it into perspective. We lost to City when Stephens slipped by the half way line and one pass later an international striker was slotting the ball home. Could have been very different had Duffy's shot gone in rather than just wide. Yesterday we conceded a stupid goal within 60 seconds and then were chasing the game. I don't recognize the suggestion that it was damage limitations after that we just didn't have the equipment up front. We know we have a pacey player waiting in the wings and hopefully his introduction will see a change in our fortunes although we mustn't pin our hopes on one player. We have 11 days of the transfer window left and I'm sure the club are looking in to bringing in more.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The questioin of pace somewhat surprises me as both Solly, Knockheart and Murphy are quick, the position we are talking about is our target man, such as a Sam Vokes, Chris Wood and a Harry Kane none of whom are especially quick at all. Neither Murray, Hemed or Baldock can deal with a three man central defence on their own as with Manchester City, our problem is getting the ball to them without having a man at their back and then giving them someone to pass to.
I think its an easy label to apply that we need 'pace' but we need to see this more wholistically. Anything better than relegation is a bonus for me, it'll be a white knuckle ride and not for the faint hearted. Lets hold the line and stand firm.:salute:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Despite being champions 2 year ago I still feel Leicester are under rated, they are a very good team. Although not able to get a ticket for today watching the highlights we looked ok. And in all honesty I never expected anything from these opening 2 games. Personally my glass is half full all the new signings on show today have shown something apart from my opinion of Ryan is not yet clear. Am excited by the prospect of Izquiredo, him on the left and Knocky fully fit on the right I think can be very very good for us. Yes I would still like to see another striker added (prefer 1 with pace). Despite 2 losses I really think we can do ok. Where do we sit in the minds of NSC after these 2 games?

We're 3 points off Chelsea. That's the way I see it.

Now, if we fix a few problems and bed in, we can catch them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here