Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Chris hughton unsackable this season !!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If we went down, we'd be looking for someone like that Chris Hughton bloke to get us back up. So what would be the point of changing? The next fortnight in the transfer market will shape our season. I doubt the best manager in the world could keep us up with our current striker options - but on the flip side, we're a couple of good signings from being in with a real shout.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If we went down, we'd be looking for someone like that Chris Hughton bloke to get us back up. So what would be the point of changing? The next fortnight in the transfer market will shape our season. I doubt the best manager in the world could keep us up with our current striker options - but on the flip side, we're a couple of good signings from being in with a real shout.

Yup

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Yes (and rightly so). TB wouldn't even sack Hyppia and he was a car crash from day pretty much day 1 to the day he left. Hughton will get this season and half of next even if we're relegated with the least number of points since Derby.

D

Deleted member 2719

If Chris is pretty much unsackable, I hope he can learn to roll the dice a few times, like letting March get forward more often to express himself so we can stand half a chance to win matches.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
TBF Hemed and Murray never worked as a partnership in the Championship, so with Baldock injured, and no new striker, his options really are limited. Gross and Propper haven't adjusted to the pace of the PL yet, Brown was injured after 17mins, and Knocky is recovering from injury. We currently have precious few attacking options as it stands. hopefully JI and a fit Knocky will shake things up, and a pacy striker is desperately needed. Let's see how CH does with some proper options up top

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
TBF Hemed and Murray never worked as a partnership in the Championship, so with Baldock injured, and no new striker, his options really are limited. Gross and Propper haven't adjusted to the pace of the PL yet, Brown was injured after 17mins, and Knocky is recovering from injury. We currently have precious few attacking options as it stands. hopefully JI and a fit Knocky will shake things up, and a pacy striker is desperately needed. Let's see how CH does with some proper options up top

Good post, he needs to be given the players

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I'd like to think he is but he's obviously not. Jake Humphrey asked Barber on that BT Sport show this exact question and he gave a politician's reply about backing from the chairman,
great bloke to work with, everybody loves him blah blah blah, but wouldn't say he wouldn't get the sack if we were relegated.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017

Would Pröpper not be a "proper" option :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, and we've already seen it in the Championship. I can recall a number of games in the last couple of years when we've totally outplayed teams but only been one goal ahead and then reverted to a defensive shape in the last 20 minutes and invited pressure, despite the fact we are clearly the better team.

Now we're in the PL and clearly won't be the better team too often, the signs are that he's going to be very cautious. As I said, I just don't see this being the best way to survive in this division. The quality of attacking is so high that it's almost impossible for a bottom half team to keep many clean sheets. Teams that have gone up and stayed up easily, like Bournemouth and Watford for example, have scored lots of goals. They have conceded plenty too, but if you can score goals you can win games. It's better to take some thrashings and win some others than have a succession of low scoring defeats and draws.

Hopefully we'll sign some strikers and Hughton will attack at the right times, but if I had to predict how he's most likely to come under pressure it would be by not really taking the gambles you probably need to take to stay up.

Spot on.

Boro tried the mean defence routine with the 'incredible' Ben Gibson, look what happened to them.

The PL contains teams with so many high quality attacking threats, not just the top 6, it's impossible to shut them out.

So have some pacey threats of your own, to take opponents out of their comfort zones.

Zeff

Jun 1, 2009
Southwick
If we were to be relegated, then he's proved he's the best man to get you back up, so yes unsackable, but like others have said, if you go back down again what's the point. I imagine if he's rubber stamped the new signings and they don't show Premier League quality then he maybe in trouble, as TB won't be happy spending millions on players that were not up to the job of giving us a chance of survival. I hope he remains in charge regardless, and given TB had no intention of sacking Samia Hypia, I suspect he will and should be safe, but would I put money on it.......NO.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This in my opinion is the weirdest thread 2 games into the season. It honestly is given the achievements in the last couple of years; however in the current situation what people need to do is take themselves back to the season that CH arrived at Brighton.

He had a squad that was a bottom of the table squad for the Championship. The remit was to stay in the league at all costs and he knew how to do that. The situation is the same again now except a division higher. He knows how to get promoted and he knows how to avoid relegation and that is this seasons remit.

People wanted to be in the PL. Welcome to it. These are the struggles that 12 clubs in the PL face every year. Chasing Promotion from the Championship is exciting . Fighting potential Relegation not so but when achieved is just as exhilarating. I have said before. Brighton will not be relegated this year but the season will not be pretty.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here