Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Chris hughton unsackable this season !!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So if he fails to keep us up we're let him try and get us back to a place where he's proven to fail ??
Yes, that's where we'd want to be, right?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I have some concerns. Hughton is a good fit for Brighton, pleasant, urbane, inclusive and thoughtful. But I am not convinced his approach is conducive to success in the PL. His entire demeanour around the Man City game was almost embarrassing in its fawning dialogue and forelock tugging to 'them qualities'. This self-deprecatory approach is perhaps popular with pundits and media savvy, but it does lead - in my mind - to the kind of insipid performance we saw yesterday at the KP Stadium. We didn't win the 50/50s and we were far too deferential in our approach to the game. It had shadows of the piss-poor performances against Norwich and Bristol City at the back end of last season where commitment and effort were almost absent.

Teams take on the character of the boss, and he is a fine man and we are a fine team, but, but, we abjectly failed to rise to the challenge when 7 points clear with three games to go last season when we could have won something for the first time in the Club's history. Every game in the PL is a step-up, and to make a step up you have to be ruthless and a winner. It remains to be seen if Hughton has that in him, but for me the jury is out. I wish him all the best, but he has to drag something out of himself and the team that probably hasn't happened thus far in his career.

If you doubt what I am saying, can you imagine David Wagner being so defeatist in his approach before, and in his tactics during, the game against City? Yes he's arrogant and Huddersfield do seem to get lucky, but luck favours winners...

Very good post, and I feel the same.

It's the words that are coming out of his mouth that worry me. He is showing such respect for all these 'great teams' in the PL that the words have to sink into the players minds. If a player is thinking that it's understandable if we lose to City because they have spent millions and millions on their squad before that player steps onto the pitch, then they are going on with a losing mindset.

We are not privileged to be here; there are no better teams than us; we can built anyone. That's the attitude we need. And we need to instill in players the belief that we can upset any apple cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we get relegated why should people want him to be given the chance to get us promoted to have another go at keeping us up.
I think you've just missed out a season. Chris proved he could get us promoted, on a budget that was outside the top 6. If we're back in the Championship then we'd want him to get us promoted again. You're already talking about whether we'd still want him for the following season.

You have to say enough is enough at some time
Just like Burnley have with Dyche right?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I have some concerns. Hughton is a good fit for Brighton, pleasant, urbane, inclusive and thoughtful. But I am not convinced his approach is conducive to success in the PL. His entire demeanour around the Man City game was almost embarrassing in its fawning dialogue and forelock tugging to 'them qualities'. This self-deprecatory approach is perhaps popular with pundits and media savvy, but it does lead - in my mind - to the kind of insipid performance we saw yesterday at the KP Stadium. We didn't win the 50/50s and we were far too deferential in our approach to the game. It had shadows of the piss-poor performances against Norwich and Bristol City at the back end of last season where commitment and effort were almost absent.

Teams take on the character of the boss, and he is a fine man and we are a fine team, but, but, we abjectly failed to rise to the challenge when 7 points clear with three games to go last season when we could have won something for the first time in the Club's history. Every game in the PL is a step-up, and to make a step up you have to be ruthless and a winner. It remains to be seen if Hughton has that in him, but for me the jury is out. I wish him all the best, but he has to drag something out of himself and the team that probably hasn't happened thus far in his career.

If you doubt what I am saying, can you imagine David Wagner being so defeatist in his approach before, and in his tactics during, the game against City? Yes he's arrogant and Huddersfield do seem to get lucky, but luck favours winners...

I agree.
The danger signs for me, were very much when we totally screwed up at the end of last season, when the championship was ours to lose.
We blew it. Some on here didn't really care, but it seriously pissed me off.

wokingone

Jul 15, 2003
Exeter
If we make a bad fist of staying in the Premier League then I expect the voices to get louder and louder. After 2 games the questioning has already started. Tony will have to remain strong to stay with the ideal manager to get us back up again if we go down CH! I hope he does stay strong.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It will when season ticket renewals come round and we are stuck at the bottom after a season of dismal football

That won't happen. Too many supporters understand the trajectory we are on. No matter what happens this season, the overall trajectory is upward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Didn't have a waiting list of 6000 in 1979-83 though did we Ernie ?

Irrelevant fact - friend of mine's been on the Arsenal season ticket waiting list three years, and when he checked yesterday there were only approximately 42,000 people still in front of him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I agree.
The danger signs for me, were very much when we totally screwed up at the end of last season, when the championship was ours to lose.

Well it seriously pissed off Hughton. He was furious about it at the Fans Forum.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We would be stupid to sack him as he's the perfect person for us next season if down there again. Plus if we stay up he'll have earnt another season.

He COULD do some really massive cock ups but I doubt he's the sort to poo on the floor or abuse somebody etc.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I agree.

Agreed. It was insipid and simply not good enough.

I got the impression that things got a wee bit ott re our promotion celebrations and Chris was cracking out the cigars and slippers.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I got the impression that things got a wee bit ott re our promotion celebrations and Chris was cracking out the cigars and slippers.

He said at the Fan Forum that he didn't get over it for weeks after the end of the season and it tainted the success of last year.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

We could easily have been beaten by a cricket score against Man City, had we taken a gung-ho approach. I have no problem with CH giving full respect to the chasm in quality and shielding us from a hiding that might have done unrepairable damage to the teams confidence.

A hardworking rearguard display against City, set us up for the Leicester match, only for a 1st minute error to throw a spanner in the works. Considering we have faced 2 teams so far that have won 3 out of the last 6 Premier League titles, and come away with minimal damage, I think Chris is doing OK, but no more than that.

Im willing to wait and see how we fair once we complete our transfer business and then get to grips with the higher standard of opposition before I start doubting if his approach will bring success.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
He said at the Fan Forum that he didn't get over it for weeks after the end of the season and it tainted the success of last year.

That makes two of us then. I'm sure he was gutted, we all were. That said the displays were not good enough, with too little too late vs. Villa. He did a wonderful job up until the leash came off after Wigan and the period that followed was abject.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here