Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Chris hughton unsackable this season !!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So if he fails to keep us up we're let him try and get us back to a place where he's proven to fail ??

Lots of managers have been in charge of relegated teams and then been successful at a higher level. Why would you sack a successful Championship level manager who has taken teams up when you've arrived back in the Championship ? Your logic is screwed !

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Two games in, two games in! And already a furtive thread that alludes to sacking. Would the OP have posted this if we'd got a point yesterday?

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I can't imagine any circumstances in which I could be calling for him to be sacked at any point this season.

However, I have said since the summer that I am concerned that Hughton's approach seems to be defensive and a bit negative, whereas my firm belief is that no newly promoted team will be good enough to defend their way to safety and that the best chance we have is to take risks and go for it. I'm just not sure he's got that in him. If anything puts him under pressure, in my opinion it will be that reluctance to throw caution to the wind while we are losing games.

Agreed

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The minute it looks like we are more likely to go down then stay up. He will be sacked. That's top flight premier league football. No room for sentiment.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
The only problem he might face, is we have striven to be a PL club for so long, I can't see Mr Bloom taking kindly to us leaving the PL after one season - not sure it will be possible to get back so easily?

So, it is possible, unpalatable but a possibility.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think the question will arise as I am sure he will get it right and we will avoid relegation. I must admit that at the moment I am not impressed with his buys in general as although it is the recruitment team he must have the final say on who he wants.

0 Thumbs Up!
I do not think the question will arise as I am sure he will get it right and we will avoid relegation. I must admit that at the moment I am not impressed with his buys in general as although it is the recruitment team he must have the final say on who he wants. This

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He won't be sacked. If we stay up he's done his job, if we go down there is no one better to take us back up.

He can't lose.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
He won't be sacked. If we stay up he's done his job, if we go down there is no one better to take us back up.

He can't lose.

It won't be as simple as that, if we are down with 10 or more games to go and it has been a complete shambles Hughton will not be here. If the crowd turn against him like they did to Mike Bailey then it will be difficult to see him carrying on, as would be if the team spirit vanishes due to certain players not being happy etc

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It won't be as simple as that, if we are down with 10 or more games to go and it has been a complete shambles Hughton will not be here. If the crowd turn against him like they did to Mike Bailey then it will be difficult to see him carrying on, as would be if the team spirit vanishes due to certain players not being happy etc

that was after being in our highest ever position but done so with boring football giving 1 - 0 wins and 0-0 draws. Anything sound familiar? I wasnt among the dissenters.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
I have some concerns. Hughton is a good fit for Brighton, pleasant, urbane, inclusive and thoughtful. But I am not convinced his approach is conducive to success in the PL. His entire demeanour around the Man City game was almost embarrassing in its fawning dialogue and forelock tugging to 'them qualities'. This self-deprecatory approach is perhaps popular with pundits and media savvy, but it does lead - in my mind - to the kind of insipid performance we saw yesterday at the KP Stadium. We didn't win the 50/50s and we were far too deferential in our approach to the game. It had shadows of the piss-poor performances against Norwich and Bristol City at the back end of last season where commitment and effort were almost absent.

Teams take on the character of the boss, and he is a fine man and we are a fine team, but, but, we abjectly failed to rise to the challenge when 7 points clear with three games to go last season when we could have won something for the first time in the Club's history. Every game in the PL is a step-up, and to make a step up you have to be ruthless and a winner. It remains to be seen if Hughton has that in him, but for me the jury is out. I wish him all the best, but he has to drag something out of himself and the team that probably hasn't happened thus far in his career.

If you doubt what I am saying, can you imagine David Wagner being so defeatist in his approach before, and in his tactics during, the game against City? Yes he's arrogant and Huddersfield do seem to get lucky, but luck favours winners...

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
It's the recruitment team that need sacking!.

Who was that midfielder that played for Leicester yesterday, who they bought for £15M and is now a bargain.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I have some concerns. Hughton is a good fit for Brighton, pleasant, urbane, inclusive and thoughtful. But I am not convinced his approach is conducive to success in the PL. His entire demeanour around the Man City game was almost embarrassing in its fawning dialogue and forelock tugging to 'them qualities'. This self-deprecatory approach is perhaps popular with pundits and media savvy, but it does lead - in my mind - to the kind of insipid performance we saw yesterday at the KP Stadium. We didn't win the 50/50s and we were far too deferential in our approach to the game. It had shadows of the piss-poor performances against Norwich and Bristol City at the back end of last season where commitment and effort were almost absent.

Teams take on the character of the boss, and he is a fine man and we are a fine team, but, but, we abjectly failed to rise to the challenge when 7 points clear with three games to go last season when we could have won something for the first time in the Club's history. Every game in the PL is a step-up, and to make a step up you have to be ruthless and a winner. It remains to be seen if Hughton has that in him, but for me the jury is out. I wish him all the best, but he has to drag something out of himself and the team that probably hasn't happened thus far in his career.

If you doubt what I am saying, can you imagine David Wagner being so defeatist in his approach before, and in his tactics during, the game against City? Yes he's arrogant and Huddersfield do seem to get lucky, but luck favours winners...

What a superb post!

We need more contributions of this ilk.

I'd say you need to post more often!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I was listening to Wagner today and his verbal demeanour was one of a confident, knowledgable and excited individual. He's delighted to be in the PL and is clearly relishing the prospect before him.

Chris so far has sounded flat and almost apologetic in his statements, saying things like: "we'll give it a good go... we 'want' to be competitive..." Well it's hardly confidence inspiring rhetoric is it?

We appear to be lacking in belief/confidence from the top down and it's really quite sad.

Let's actually play to win, that's the Wagner method and I rather admire it.

Setting up as we are, with our seemingly fragile/apologetic mentality, we would have gone to Palace and at best got a 0-0, let's face facts.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here