Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did anyone genuinely think we'd get anything from our first 2 games?

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Starting only our second Premier League game with Glenn Murray and Jamie Murphy in the first eleven...I'm sorry but we are getting what we deserve at the minute. There seems to be a "just happy to be here" mentality at the moment, which given our history is kind of understandable. However there should be no sentiment in football. As good a job as Murray, Murphy and Stephens (to name a few) did in getting us here, it has been nothing short of naive to stick with them at this level.

The players we have recruited so far look no better than what we already have, and in some cases actually look worse.

The lack of creativity and pace going forward is a huge concern and I can see us scoring less goals this season than Boro managed last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
No I didnt however I thought we might have got a goal or even looked like scoring . The performances havent been great but I'm optimistic for the Watford game . This is where I thought we would get our first point . Hopefully AK and Izqueirdo starting

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brother has just phoned me and said we showed an improvement on last week by at least fndiing a team mate with passes. He also said he thinks that Propper will prove to be a good signing but not impressed with Ryan at all.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Not really, but always hopeful. Big improvement going forward tho, shame about the void up front. Today we moved through their midfield really well in the second half. With a few danger-men up front we will be a different prospect. UTA.

Withdean Chappy

Jul 21, 2017
Westdean
We were always going to get beat today. Leicester ain't no mugs. City were always going to outclass us last week. Dust ourselves off and go again. We will pick points up in the next 2 games providing Ryan doesn't start. :albion2:

Must confess thought that Man City would have put five past us and Dunk would have been red carded,so no problems,we are going to be amongst those fighting relegation so waiting to see how results go,

hoped for a point but just to look like scoring would be nice... from 1St 2 games we just don't look like we can compete but it's early days squad needs to gel and things can only get better...there is a gulf in class between top 6 then probably next 8 which include your stokes Leicesters saints etc which will leave us to fight against the rest palace Swansea Watford Huddersfield Newcastle

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not "expect", but I hadn't written them off as nil-pointers, and it's disappointing so many fans are so willing to give up on games before they are played.

Last season Man City were a disappointment, dropping more points than they expected because things weren't clicking and falling out of the title challenge earlier than hoped. Our players would be up for it, they could have underestimated us. Like a lot of teams at the start of the season they had new players who may or may not have been up to it. There was every chance we could have got something if things went our way (and if we actually looked for more than just 'don't embarrass ourselves' from the result).

Leicester may have won the title two seasons ago, but really struggled early last season. We beat them well last time we went to their place when there was a similar gap in quality between us. As a team that finished mid-table last season, they should be seen as one of the teams we'd look to get something from.

It's great that some of our fans are so accepting of defeat, and keeping it in perspective (genuinely, I don't want our fans to be calling for the manager's head because heaven forbid we might get relegated and have to play in the championship next season!), but it is quite disheartening to see so many of our fans think we can't get anything out of so many games. We earned our spot in the premier league. We are a premier league team. We should approach every game as if it is a game from which we can get something, and not be so resigned to 0 points.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I'm not sure we can expect anything from our first three games bearing in mind Watford's performance against LiverpooI.

I was looking to the WBA for our first points. That is now hopeful rather than expectant.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8078060 said:
I would have hoped we would at least threaten the opposition occasionally

You expect the world on a plate, you do

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
We might get a point against Newcastle but from who else I'm not sure

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I thought we would lose our first 3 matches , then start picking up after the international break
I did not think we would be so negative in our play though

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not "expect", but I hadn't written them off as nil-pointers, and it's disappointing so many fans are so willing to give up on games before they are played.

Last season Man City were a disappointment, dropping more points than they expected because things weren't clicking and falling out of the title challenge earlier than hoped. Our players would be up for it, they could have underestimated us. Like a lot of teams at the start of the season they had new players who may or may not have been up to it. There was every chance we could have got something if things went our way (and if we actually looked for more than just 'don't embarrass ourselves' from the result).

Leicester may have won the title two seasons ago, but really struggled early last season. We beat them well last time we went to their place when there was a similar gap in quality between us. As a team that finished mid-table last season, they should be seen as one of the teams we'd look to get something from.

It's great that some of our fans are so accepting of defeat, and keeping it in perspective (genuinely, I don't want our fans to be calling for the manager's head because heaven forbid we might get relegated and have to play in the championship next season!), but it is quite disheartening to see so many of our fans think we can't get anything out of so many games. We earned our spot in the premier league. We are a premier league team. We should approach every game as if it is a game from which we can get something, and not be so resigned to 0 points.

True. If we accept there are stack of games guaranteeing nil points, that leaves an ever diminishing pool of games in which to get 10 wins and a few draws. In their recent PL seasons, I would imagine that plucky Palace, Bournemouth and Burnley have set out to win games against top 7 teams, got beaten in the main, but also come up with vital wins.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Starting only our second Premier League game with Glenn Murray and Jamie Murphy in the first eleven...I'm sorry but we are getting what we deserve at the minute. There seems to be a "just happy to be here" mentality at the moment, which given our history is kind of understandable. However there should be no sentiment in football. As good a job as Murray, Murphy and Stephens (to name a few) did in getting us here, it has been nothing short of naive to stick with them at this level.

The players we have recruited so far look no better than what we already have, and in some cases actually look worse.

The lack of creativity and pace going forward is a huge concern and I can see us scoring less goals this season than Boro managed last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't have put it better myself.

So I won't even try.

Kubes

Jan 6, 2010
Well it hasn't played out like I imagined it when walking the dog all summer after last season. As I saw it then we would have gone down 2 goals against Man City, one goal early in each half BUT our 80th minute sub would have scored from a rebound on his debut. Then a breakaway goal from March would have levelled it. Immense pressure from City then a rushed clearance forces a corner
Murray scores as per Brum away cue mental scenes. We draw against Leicester and thump Watford.
So no I didn't expect anything more so far. It's going to be a long hard season like that time we got into the Championship at With dean and were imediately relegated. But I think we will scrape through this time and hang on by the skin of our teeth!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No. And sadly I think it'll get worse before it gets better.

Can't look too far ahead but I expect defeat at Watford as well.

Then we need to have worked a way to beat West Brom - which won't be easy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here