Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need forward players with pace or we will be relegated...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry, how did any of us 'know' that?

I'd wager 90% of our fanbase hadn't even heard of him before we signed him let alone known enough about his game to say he'd be a bad signing.

Oh blimey no, I'm not saying he's a bad signing, far from it.
I hope and think he'll shine when he's not playing in a position requiring a turn of pace, a fact we did know the moment his name got mentioned.
Gross, and for that matter Propper as well, both seem to be the players that the speed machines need to set them up with quick accurate passing.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
It feels that in many respects the "wait til the end of theTW" approach means that we are not really prepared for the huge step up.. whatever is said over the coming week or so by PB or CH I cannot believe fora second we will not splurge big time on a couple of strikers...as things stand we won't get anywhere fast and hopefully that point is plain to see by all who matter at the club..

CH has said he expects us to not break our transfer record, however key word being expect!!can see 15 mill being spent very soon..

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We have no outlet at all. Our counter attacking was so slow today it was laughable.

Just home from the game.......

Our counter attacking stopped at the half way line, whereupon we stopped, turned and passed it back again because there was no one moving or no options in front. Murray and Hemed are too slow and at the moment isolated because Gross is too deep defending much of the time (partly because Stephens and Propper both keep giving the ball away), we desperately need a Baldock-type to get in behind, stretch the defence and create space. Knocky needs to start ahead of Murphy too as he is much more prepared to try to beat his man.

We need Jose and a nippy striker in asap to give us some pace and goal threat, Gross and particularly Propper quickly need to get up to speed and Stephens needs to realise he's now playing in the league he always thought he was good enough for and start playing like it. With all that, we've got a chance. The back 4 look solid enough compared to the rest of the division and we know Solly and Knocky are capable. Jury is out for me on Ryan.

We looked bereft of ideas going forward, either individually or as a unit. Lots to work on.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
But so many were banging on how great Murray would be, he is too slow for this league and will mainly score headers from corners and score Pens.

Our counter attacking stopped at the half way line, whereupon we stopped, turned and passed it back again because there was no one moving or no options in front. Murray and Hemed are too slow and at the moment isolated because Gross is too deep defending much of the time (partly because Stephens and Propper both keep giving the ball away), we desperately need a Baldock-type to get in behind, stretch the defence and create space. Knocky needs to start ahead of Murphy too as he is much more prepared to try to beat his man.

We need Jose and a nippy striker in asap to give us some pace and goal threat, Gross and particularly Propper quickly need to get up to speed and Stephens needs to realise he's now playing in the league he always thought he was good enough for and start playing like it. With all that, we've got a chance. The back 4 look solid enough compared to the rest of the division and we know Solly and Knocky are capable. Jury is out for me on Ryan.

We looked bereft of ideas going forward, either individually or as a unit. Lots to work on.

Totally agree with all of this.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

A good summary. We look very ordinary and so toothless going forward. Any more displays like that today and people will be tipping us to beat Derby's woeful season on the PL in 2007.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Ezquierido plays a similar game to Mane of Liverpool. Loads of pace with a very direct style of play. I presume he's going to hug the touchline but also stretch the opposition defence. He's going to be the player Stephens and Propper will be pinging balls to from deep. My only concern is we need more than just one speed merchant. I'd say 3 minimum.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
We've gone from a team used to getting high up the pitch and able to get balls into the strikers into a league where we need that outlet over the top with some pace.

Izquierdo will be a good start, the striker will obviously be quick too. I think we could do with 1 or 2 more though for some depth in case those two don't hit the ground running, or suffer with form, injuries etc. Not easy and would be tricky with the 25 man squad.

We need a centre mid too - no Sidwell on the bench today, guessing injured? With Kayal injured too. A proper destroyer who can get about and win the ball back.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I sensed danger signs for the season when at one stage they turned the ball over in their third and we had the ball and 3-4 of our players surrounding our man.

Instead of players starting to sprint up field to create some kind of break they all simply stayed within 5-10 metres of the player with the ball and moved sideways more than moved forward.

Snuffed out any opportunity of a forward attack in an instance.

Not sure if that's the game plan or lack of confidence by the players.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If Ahannach has pace then he needs to take Murphy's place in the squad, as Murphy has been given a chance and doesn't seem to have taken it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Good summary.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Plenty already are!

:facepalm:

I take it you didn't go yesterday?

The manager, interviewed players, media pundits, newspaper reporters and opposition fans said we were poor yesterday and must improve. Albion rose tinted specs off for a moment but these first two games have shown just how daunting it is for us this season at this level.

The support for CH and the team is unwavering and we move on to Watford away. See you there!

Last edited:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
If Ahannach has pace then he needs to take Murphy's place in the squad, as Murphy has been given a chance and doesn't seem to have taken it.

What?

I though he was our most direct player going forward yesterday, more so than March. IMO Murphy has justified his inclusion in the squad for the last 2 games.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I take it you didn't go yesterday?

The manager, interviewed players, media pundits, newspaper reporters and opposition fans said we were poor yesterday and must improve. Albion rose tinted specs off for a moment but these first two games have shown just how daunting it is for us this season at this level.

The support for CH and the team is unwavering and we move on to Watford away. See you there!
Whether I went or not is irrelevant. The moaning on here is getting to industrial proportions, which is what I was commenting on.
See threads like "15m spunked up the wall". We've played two matches!

Last edited:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Whether I went or not is irrelevant. The moaning on here is getting to industrial proportions, which is what I was commenting on.
See threads like "15m spunked up the wall". We've played two matches!

If you had gone yesterday you'd have come away a tad worried. Our attacking play will need to improve somehow. However, I agree with your point. It's very early days.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005

Exactly this, thought he was pretty pony much of last season, the fact he's starting in the prem is testament to us not being able to get the right signings in quick enough. At the end of last season I was sure both him and Norwood would be staying in the championship.

Larry

Feb 11, 2011
we are working on getting two forwards and a nother mid-fielder things will happen very soon keep the faith.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
We have forward players with pace. We just aren't getting them up the pitch quickly enough. And Murray scored (an offside) goal yesterday after a lovely bit of play down the right. We are too slowing thought, especially in midfield. If Gross was the best forward passer in the bundesliga then play him in midfield. I reckon a formation change will be on the cards if we can't get going... 3-5-2?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here