Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we gone backwards?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think we are really struggling with 4-5-1.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We did in the championship as well.

Agree with this and this is my worry. I know we kind of had to do it v city but may be worth keeping with the 442 that served us so well. Of course the other issue is Baldock being injured as it only works well with a little pacy striker too it seems.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I think we are really struggling with 4-5-1.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Over the last two seasons we have mostly played 4-4-2 and have created many chances to score but at the moment 4-5-1 does little to create the chances to score. Are we going to stick with 4-5-1 which is alien to us or revert to 4-4-2 and create chances, at least for the home games. I suppose we will find out at our next home game.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
We were a decent side in the championship, but it will take seasons to be a decent pl team.
I don't know a worse team in the league but it's ok, we will mature and improve.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Nah, we just haven't finished recruiting yet, we're only a goalscorer away from being competitive, if we don't get one by the end of the month we are however BUGGERED.

Possibly do need that extra keeper too, unless we can recall Walton?

I don't get it with Walton. At what point will he be considered good enough? He's not that young any more. If he really is as good as everyone says then why not play him or at least have on the bench each weeK? Baffles me.

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
Just my view but right now I feel we have gone backwards. Over 2/3 seasons we built a team to go up, now we need to build a team to stay up, and sadly we don't have the time. From what I have seen of our signings so far, and I appreciate it is only 3 games (am including Atlecio Madrid), propper giving the ball away too much, suttner errors, today gross was lightweight and ryan makes as many good saves as errors, I think our starting 11 is not as strong and united as it was last season. Am sure we will
Improve but I honestly felt we might start this season by raising a few eyebrows as a team to watch out for by causing more of a reaction based on our existing squad...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bought to go forwards, but feels like we've gone backwards, wouldn't win in championship with last two performances...

And want us more than anything to go forwards!

It feels like we are a team still finding its feet. It's been disrupted somewhat by the loss of Stockers and new faces in the dressing room. The senior players need to keep the chins up and the new boys need to fight for their place in the team and find an extra yard of pace, make their passes, think faster and show more aggression.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I don't get it with Walton. At what point will he be considered good enough? He's not that young any more. If he really is as good as everyone says then why not play him or at least have on the bench each weeK? Baffles me.
Could well of been a better option than what currently looks like spunking £6m we could have put towards a striker.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Agree with the finding our feet comments also if Leicester are representative of the Mid table Prem standard then we aren't that far away. They were very average certainly no gulf in class.

More of a cutting pacy edge and our midfield bedding in should see better results soon.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Over the last two seasons we have mostly played 4-4-2 and have created many chances to score but at the moment 4-5-1 does little to create the chances to score. Are we going to stick with 4-5-1 which is alien to us or revert to 4-4-2 and create chances, at least for the home games. I suppose we will find out at our next home game.

We can revert to 4-4-2 when Baldock is back or when we get our pacy striker in the next 10 days.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Even though he's only been with us a short while, I think we're missing Izzy Brown's quality at the moment.

With his return and some pace up front, we'll do much better as the new players settle in.

I'd rather that we 'went for it' every game even with the possibility of heavy defeats.

We're going to stay up by scoring goals, not by shutting up shop.

Didn't work for Boro last season, won't work for us.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Yep , we have gone so defensive , we have forgot how to attack and make chances
Our passing is poor , the players seem to lack confidence, the work rate is not good enough for the premier league
And where has our pace gone ,our passing is so slow and sideways ,
Ryan seems to be worse than Stockdale
So yes we are not as good as last year

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Not gone backwards really, more of just a stagnation and as people have mentioned, team hasn't fully settled together yet and haven't got a true feel for the league yet. Only area you could argue we've "gone backwards" in is GK, MR has made a few questionable errors although it's too early to be as critical as I have seen some people be, he's shown bits of what he can do with his save against city in particular. Midfield will easily be an improvement on what we had before once it has gelled, whether it is enough for the premier league though remains to be seen. Defence no different to what we had before aside from Suttner, who wasn't great today in truth but again haven't seen enough of him. Bit wobbly at times but not a horror show. They definitely haven't regressed over the summer, it's about the difference in quality from a Marvin Sordell to a Vardy that they're coming up against, who can punish us for things we got away with in the championship.

I thought we had no chance against City just giving them the ball all the time for a soft training run for them. At home that does not sit well with me. I'll watch the extended highlights on Sky later today to see if we gave ourselves a chance to get something out of the game today but it's a tough fixture.

But overall it's impossible to say if we've gone backwards at this stage. Whether we compete against a good Watford team and the acid test against the Baggies, we'll know

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here