Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To be fair, just about every keeper's hoof upfield is by definition aimless. Ball's so long in the air that any averagely-switched-on player of either side has a decent chance of getting under it. Maybe the short pass to the central defender is the only intelligent way forward?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Roberts developed the drilled ball out wide with Stockdale last year and it worked pretty well. The ball stays quite low, giving the defender less room to get to the ball. It goes fast, again giving advantages to the attacker. With our tricky, pacy wingers, and typically only one up front, it's a good ploy. But it's very hard to pull off. We've seen Ryan try a few times. He hasn't nailed it quite yet.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Roberts developed the drilled ball out wide with Stockdale last year and it worked pretty well. The ball stays quite low, giving the defender less room to get to the ball. It goes fast, again giving advantages to the attacker. With our tricky, pacy wingers, and typically only one up front, it's a good ploy. But it's very hard to pull off. We've seen Ryan try a few times. He hasn't nailed it quite yet.

Stockers nailed the drilled drop kick up to Baldock last season and probably even the season before, I was sure we would score from that tactic at some point, It would have required unbelievable skill from Baldock to bring it down and full pace and hold off a defender.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Not really working out, is it? How long do you give him? Can't afford for him to carry on as he is at the moment, can we? He might be a good a shot-stopper but he hardly inspires confidence, does he? Quite small for a keeper too.

This quote is the i quote for Brighton in this weeks fan matrix. So its not just NSC that can be whoosed. Coffee spat all over newspaper.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

Pickford got this nailed down. I was watching his kicking in the 2nd half and everytime he kicked it, it went out to his right and to the winger in space.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Maty Ryan applying his trade.

I've been looking through several media reports on MR, and their take on him.
I think we have a great goalie in the making and hopefully will keep him when we stay in the PL.
He seems very grounded and wants to do well by the club and from watching him interact with the fans, could possibly be a future Albion captain, only IMO :)

blacktownsun

It takes a lot for people to notice goalkeepers. To really notice goalkeepers. To analyse them, respect them, reward them. They don't win individual awards. Given the obsession with attacking players, they're effectively disqualified from winning them. If they make mistakes, they're savaged. If they don't, they're simply doing their job. Traditionally, the role of a goalkeeper is to be seen, but not heard.

maty ryans move to brighton benefits all parties

He never did work his way back into contention and was loaned back to Belgium last January, joining Genk. There, he was able to enjoy a fresh start, even if he knew his spell at the Luminus Arena was only temporary. In six months he made more appearances than he had done during a season and a half at the Mestalla, even enjoying a Europa League run until Genk were knocked out by Celta Vigo in the quarter finals. With consistent playing time, he was able to show exactly what he can do and what he can offer a team, from his excellent reflexes to accurate passing.

That impressed Brighton enough for the Premier League newcomers to make the 25-year-old their record signing for around £5million and it is a piece of business which benefits all parties. The Seagulls needed a new ‘keeper after David Stockdale’s exit. Valencia did not need Ryan and were able to recoup the majority of his 2015 transfer fee. And the player himself can start afresh at the top level, hopefully avoiding injury and impressing enough that Gary Neville will be sitting in the Sky Sports’ commentary box wondering why he couldn’t have kept out a few more of those Barcelona goals that night last February

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

1:10 is that the type of ball you are talking about?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It is interesting going back over some of the early posts on this thread. While the OP should be embarrassed and, as far as I can see, has not admitted how wrong they were, there are plenty of others who look stupid too. One poster even claimed that Ryan looked like the club's worst signing ever after two games. How anyone can make such a ridiculous claim after two games is beyond me!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I saw that. All the good stuff going on at the moment and they write that, on the back of a clean sheet

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To be fair, I think it is a tactic to kick it out rather than pass. And also to kick it out to the wings which leaves less room for error than normal for a keeper.

Is it that I'm not reading this right? Would 'kick it to the touchline or as close to the wing as possible' be better?
If it is a tactic to kick it out (ie off the pitch), he has succeeded a few times. It's good for opposition possession stats, but not quite sure how it would be good for us.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Is it that I'm not reading this right? Would 'kick it to the touchline or as close to the wing as possible' be better?
If it is a tactic to kick it out (ie off the pitch), he has succeeded a few times. It's good for opposition possession stats, but not quite sure how it would be good for us.

No what I meant was for the keeper to kick it out (e.g. up field) rather than out of play

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
WHatever he does now, he still failed Spence's height test so I don't rate him. :facepalm:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

You speak a lot of sense :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here