Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
That is the problem. Dunk and Duffy don't trust him and both realise that they are going to be hugely overworked trying to clear stuff that should be his responsiblity. You just can't visualise Ryan coming through a crowd of players to punch clear or even catch the ball. Opponents are going to ' block ' him out at every opportunity.

Actually when I was told he was coming they stated that was one of the things he is good at.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
If you break your transfer record on a keeper you expect him to be the finished article surely, not a work in progress, to be helped to iron out basic deficiencies by the coaching team. I hope he comes good, but has made some awful errors thus far, and as a defence, you really need to have confidence in your GK

He cost £5m. Yes, it was our transfer record, but in the modern market £5m is barely worth more than a piss in a tea pot.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Not sure this is a solution but worth a try ?

The lad has probably lost a bit of confidence following these mistakes. So what about chanting the lads name before the next match or the match against West Brom at home - let him know that fans are behind him looking for him to do well ?

Most people progress in their work with support and praise rather than criticism. I have to concede he hasn't started well but I would love him to be a success like everyone else.

You've just blown my mind. Don't tell my missus, even she barely manages that anymore.

Withdean Chappy

Jul 21, 2017
Westdean
People comparing him to Stockdale when we first signed him. Well that season was a disaster.

We can't give him a season to get up to standard. We will get routinely murdered

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

The whole team will have to play above themselves to continue in this league at this early stage its not right to pick on an individual its going to be a testing time

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
From evidence seen he is no better than Stockdale
He's nowhere near as good as Stockdale based on the evidence so far.

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
Size is everything (certainly in my case). Remember Bruce Grobbelaar, a good half an inch taller than Maty Ryan, one of Liverpool's best ever keeper, played over 600 games over 13 years.
OK the whole defence was at fault but don't judge too soon.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Is that Stockdale of last season or Stockdale when he arrived from Fulham?
Stockdale was criticised when he first arrived for letting a lot get past him but I can't recall him making any really bad errors in his first games for us. Three out of the four EPL goals we have conceded have been due to Ryan's mistakes. And that's not mentioning the calamity against Madrid (a game in which he admittedly pulled off many good saves). I think people also forget that Stockdale embodied the 'togetherness' in the squad that was a key part of our success last season. Yes, he also made the occasional mistake, but he was generally fantastic for us and I think it was madness for the club not to offer him a decent contract.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
DS last season was far better than when he arrived and I think had he stayed he would have been on the fringe of a possible England call up but for whatever reason, and none of us know that, he was allowed to leave and join Harry. We can only assume it was financial lead knowing how Harry and Rosie do business,.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Or put it this way, if he was still in the squad who would you prefer to play against Watford - Stockdale or Ryan?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I learnt a lesson from Stockdale's first season. Writing someone off after only a few appearances is very dangerous, I was wrong about Stockdale, who was brilliant in seasons two and three (although I thought he peaked in season 2 and wasn't AS good in season 3, brilliant though he was).

People are judging Ryan and Pröpper far too quickly, and some of the opinions about him are too early formed. Especially about Proper Dave! I am concerned about Ryan, but let's not kill him just yet.

That said, if they're rubbish for 2 seasons and then adequate in their third season, it's perfectly fine to not like them because that's based on performances. :thumbsup:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He has it all to do. Way too soon to make a definitive judgement but it sure hasn't started too well has it?

I'm hopeful it will all come good for the lad. At the moment I can't decide if he's a hologram or wearing gloves made of rubber but he's in the most exposed position on the pitch when it comes to errors so hopefully he has a big character and will come back to prove us all very wrong.

Chin up Matty.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm hopeful it will all come good for the lad. At the moment I can't decide if he's a hologram or wearing gloves made of rubber but he's in the most exposed position on the pitch when it comes to errors so hopefully he has a big character and will come back to prove us all very wrong.

Chin up Matty.

That is what I blame use your bare hands as in the old days.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
three out of the four EPL goals we have conceded have been due to Ryan's mistakes.

That's nonsense. Lewis Dunk's bullet header at his own goal from point blank range had a lot to do with the first one. Only a goalkeeper with Inspector Gadget arms could have cut out yesterday's corner, and if he hadn't got a hand on the header no-one would even be talking about it.

So that leaves 1 mistake. I'd be interested to see some different replays of the shot that came off him because it looked like it might have gone through Dunk's legs right in front of him. In which case he's be seriously unsighted.

I'm not saying I've been impressed so far, but people are looking for ridiculous faults.

He made some very good saves against Atletico and his kicking was better than Stockdale's, so maybe cutting him some slack would be more helpful, 2 games into the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here