Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Absolutely joke of a signing. I've said this from day one. Keepers need to be well over 6 foot. What were the recruitment team thinking ?

This will go down as one of the biggest f.u.c.k. ups in our history due to it being our record signing at the time. The sooner he is dropped the better.

Iker Casillas
Victor Valdez
Jorge Campos
Rene higuita
Michael vorm
Claudio Bravo
Fabian Barthez

...All are shorter than Matt Ryan which proves that your theory that keepers must be over 6ft is a little off the mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Anyone blaming Ryan for me is abit dim.

I'm in the school of defend from the front, we've played Man City with their team and then Leicester who put three past Arsenal last week.

To have only conceded twice in each game isn't THAT bad.

I'm more concerned about our inability to keep the ball, pass it around and attack teams with intent.

But that'll improve as we settle into the league and stop fearing teams so much.

Looking forward to this winger starting some matches and hopefully add a striker.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Not fit for purpose. Sold under false pretences. Can we get our money back?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Ryan is a totally different type of keeper to Stockdale. I wasn't at the game yesterday but listened to Warren Aspinall berating Ryan for both goals but there was hardly any mention about other things that he did that Stockdale wouldn't have done.

The first goal should have been held. Every premier league keeper would have been expected to hold the first shot and Ryan would be expected to as well. I'm sure the handling errors will stop though - we wouldn't have been after this guy for a number of years and watched him numerous times, paid a (then) record fee if he made basic errors every game (admittedly it's 2 in 2 in competitive games now).

The second goal was questionable. Should he have come for the cross? Possibly. However, he was blocked by a Leicester player on his way out so he wouldn't have got there if he'd tried. Should he have saved the shot? Possibly - got a decent hand to it. Would Stockdale have saved the shot - probably. The extra few inches would have probably been enough.

However, Ryan has been bought for his speed, general mobility, distribution and shot-stopping. Whether the final 2 of these are improvements on Stockdale are still open to question given the first 2 games but the first 2 are clear improvements. Twice yesterday he was incredibly quick off his line to dive at the players feet and stop a goal-scoring opportunity. There is no way Stockdale would have been close to doing this. He would have stayed back, held his ground and had a one-on-one with the striker. At premier league level, you'd expect the striker to score more of these than he misses. Yet there was no real mention of these on the radio. With a less mobile keeper, these could well have resulted in goals.

Am sure the reason why Stockdale was never going to be number one was due to his lack of mobility. A great shot stopper and can dominate the box more than someone like Ryan but lacking in mobility. With so much more defending in this league, the club are obviously keen for us to hold a higher line (still a work in progress given first 2 games). Ryan has been bought to allow us to do this. With his speed, he can act as a sweeper and allow us to push up the pitch. With someone less mobile, we would be defending in the final third for the majority of the game. Whether or not this pays off, time will tell but am sure that is the rationale of the management.

It's far too early to write off Ryan. He has made a couple of glaring errors but has also saved us a few times that have gone completely unnoticed. We, as fans, need to realise he is everything Stockdale is not - both good and bad...

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Iker Casillas
Victor Valdez
Jorge Campos
Rene higuita
Michael vorm
Claudio Bravo
Fabian Barthez

...All are shorter than Matt Ryan which proves that your theory that keepers must be over 6ft is a little off the mark.

Exactly

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Ryan is a totally different type of keeper to Stockdale. I wasn't at the game yesterday but listened to Warren Aspinall berating Ryan for both goals but there was hardly any mention about other things that he did that Stockdale wouldn't have done.

The first goal should have been held. Every premier league keeper would have been expected to hold the first shot and Ryan would be expected to as well. I'm sure the handling errors will stop though - we wouldn't have been after this guy for a number of years and watched him numerous times, paid a (then) record fee if he made basic errors every game (admittedly it's 2 in 2 in competitive games now).

The second goal was questionable. Should he have come for the cross? Possibly. However, he was blocked by a Leicester player on his way out so he wouldn't have got there if he'd tried. Should he have saved the shot? Possibly - got a decent hand to it. Would Stockdale have saved the shot - probably. The extra few inches would have probably been enough.

However, Ryan has been bought for his speed, general mobility, distribution and shot-stopping. Whether the final 2 of these are improvements on Stockdale are still open to question given the first 2 games but the first 2 are clear improvements. Twice yesterday he was incredibly quick off his line to dive at the players feet and stop a goal-scoring opportunity. There is no way Stockdale would have been close to doing this. He would have stayed back, held his ground and had a one-on-one with the striker. At premier league level, you'd expect the striker to score more of these than he misses. Yet there was no real mention of these on the radio. With a less mobile keeper, these could well have resulted in goals.

Am sure the reason why Stockdale was never going to be number one was due to his lack of mobility. A great shot stopper and can dominate the box more than someone like Ryan but lacking in mobility. With so much more defending in this league, the club are obviously keen for us to hold a higher line (still a work in progress given first 2 games). Ryan has been bought to allow us to do this. With his speed, he can act as a sweeper and allow us to push up the pitch. With someone less mobile, we would be defending in the final third for the majority of the game. Whether or not this pays off, time will tell but am sure that is the rationale of the management.

It's far too early to write off Ryan. He has made a couple of glaring errors but has also saved us a few times that have gone completely unnoticed. We, as fans, need to realise he is everything Stockdale is not - both good and bad...

I was there and thought Ryan was at fault for both goals. 1st definitely, albeit Suttner shouldn't have let the guy past to shoot. 2nd due to height, came for it then went back and therefore not as a good position to save it. Defenders of course also should have done better given their height.

If Stockdale was in goal the first was unlikely to be conceded and our confidence would have grown, Leicester very ordinary I thought but we lacked belief. You are absolutely right about Ryan's pace though. I was concerned about what Vardy would do to us and who would deal with him; none of the defenders had sufficient pace to deal with him. Ryan was the answer, twice.

His distribution is great, he is really quick and acts as a defender, which is fantastic when you've our defensive pace. If the team were performing we'd have less exposure and hence less fumbling. But the team are not believing and not performing. We aren't retaining the ball, we haven't adjusted to a very different keeper. Great distribution is worthless when we don't retain possession from it.

I'd be very tempted to bench Ryan and give Maenpaa a chance. I think the team will be better with that initially.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Give the guy time, he hasn't just become a bad keeper. Get behind him FFS

Ryan aside I think we still would have lost yesterday, not one clear cut chance in 2 games, we have other problems right now

Agree with your first line, surely our goal keeping coach would have some input in the signing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With so much more defending in this league, the club are obviously keen for us to hold a higher line (still a work in progress given first 2 games). Ryan has been bought to allow us to do this. With his speed, he can act as a sweeper and allow us to push up the pitch. With someone less mobile, we would be defending in the final third for the majority of the game. Whether or not this pays off, time will tell but am sure that is the rationale of the management....
'Playing a higher line' - whether under Poyet or Hughton - just isn't part of this club's DNA! Where is the evidence that management is suddenly trying to implement this?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
'Playing a higher line' - whether under Poyet or Hughton - just isn't part of this club's DNA! Where is the evidence that management is suddenly trying to implement this?

Sidwell is often brought on when we are defending too deep. He comes on with clear instructions to bring us up the pitch - which he invariably does. I think that is some evidence that we are keen to defend higher up the pitch. Also think bringing a keeper with Ryan's attributes points to us wanting to do this as well - perhaps circumstantial but that is the evidence I present your Honour...

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I have no doubt that there is a comprehensive dossier on Ryan somewhere in the bowels of the club's vaults which demonstrates that the stats on Ryan are mighty impressive. Two of the key attributes for a keeper are his relationship with his defenders and his ability to dominate at least the 6 yard box and I assume his stats are good in these areas. The relationship with defenders obviously takes some time to develop but is based the the defenders trust in the keeper and vice versa. If the keeper is not able or lacks the confidence to be dominant and effective in coming off his line the essential confidence between keeper and defenders evaporates. I'm not saying that things have deteriorated this far yet but I think Ryan needs to be a lot more assertive to win the ongoing confidence in particular of Dunk and Duffy. What is indisputable is that Ryans modest stature means that, in a land often peopled by giants, he starts off at a disadvantage.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sidwell is often brought on when we are defending too deep. He comes on with clear instructions to bring us up the pitch - which he invariably does. I think that is some evidence that we are keen to defend higher up the pitch. Also think bringing a keeper with Ryan's attributes points to us wanting to do this as well - perhaps circumstantial but that is the evidence I present your Honour...

Flattered by your form of address! You make a good argument, but tbh, I'm yet to be convinced. I think we're going to see a lot of two banks of four within touching distance of each other this season!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Good post.

JimmyJayUK

Feb 20, 2014
All this slating the keeper and defence is irrelevant if we cant stick it in at the other end....it will come though im sure

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Yes - I think a good post too.

My only contentious observation is your view on Ryan making basic errors. You can be as mobile as you like and have a dossiers as long as you want but if you commit basic errors it doesn't matter.

Its a bit of a sweeping statement to say you are sure the handling errors will stop. How long before expectation changes to hope?

All that said - I'm on your side!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Was there a slight deflection on the Mahrez shot yesterday? Thought it looked like that caused him to spill it to me, although perhaps I am desperate to give him the benefit of the doubt...

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Twice yesterday he was incredibly quick off his line to dive at the players feet and stop a goal-scoring opportunity. There is no way Stockdale would have been close to doing this. He would have stayed back, held his ground and had a one-on-one with the striker. At premier league level, you'd expect the striker to score more of these than he misses. Yet there was no real mention of these on the radio. With a less mobile keeper, these could well have resulted in goals.

The commentators on live stream I was watching yesterday were very complimentative of Ryan's bravery and his rushing out. He made some good critical saves both games. Support the team.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham

Ryan is more mobile (probably his only asset over Stockdale) but we are not Man City. We will not be defending from the half way line this season. We will be defending mostly in the final third. I don't believe that our team management is naive enough to think we have the ability to play high enough up the pitch for Ryan to play as a sweeper. We bought Ryan because individuals at the club think he is a better all round keeper. I suspect this is a mistake similar to the Murray/CMS situation. I hope I am wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here