Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As I said on the other new players thread he's the one that worries me the most. He IS too small, he just is, and I've seen no real evidence he can catch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snedger

Jun 13, 2011
I saw two goals he let in for Oz against Germany and said that he looked very suspect, rooted to the spot, reflexless.
And he's played in the same style for Brighton.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Needs to hold the ball better. From what I've seen he's parrying it into very dangerous areas. Coaching will work that out. He's got a proven record at a decent level. Let's give him 10-15 games before we start calling for his head eh?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Needs to hold the ball better. From what I've seen he's parrying it into very dangerous areas. Coaching will work that out. He's got a proven record at a decent level. Let's give him 10-15 games before we start calling for his head eh?

It seems to be quite common in modern day goalkeepers to parry the ball back into play rather than deflect for a corner. I don't understand given the risk/reward, particularly with the stats on how few goals come from corners. From memory, Shilton and Clemence were all about stunning saves with the ball tipped around the post for a corner and certainly not parrying back into play or even worse punching it.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Westwood was the only replacement I wanted for Stockdale.

He was at fault for the first and could have saved the second however the defending was piss poor.

His kicking is poor as well, early signs dont look good for me. Stockdale struggled at first but you could see he had the makings of a good keeper. If he left becuase he thought he would be second choice he wouldnt be for much longer.

We can only hope things improve.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Not defending Ryan, but Loris just made a big mistake to give Chelski the win over Spurs.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
From evidence seen he is no better than Stockdale and the defence are now having to learn about him rather than have an understanding grown over the previous 2 seasons

No better than stockdale ? Thus far, he is no better than Graeme Smith

I never had you down as a master of understatement, Ernest

Last edited:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

He cost five million quid, is the first choice for a Premier League team and we hope he'll come good if he can be coached out of this dangerous habit? Some mistake Shirley

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I saw two goals he let in for Oz against Germany and said that he looked very suspect, rooted to the spot, reflexless.
And he's played in the same style for Brighton.

....and lacks physicality. He tried to come for the corner, leading to the second goal but didn't have the strength to get past players. Teams will quickly exploit his inability to command his box and will punish us. WBA will pile players into the six yard box at every set piece and so will others.
He is small, lacks presence and is unsettling Dunk and Duffy. Dunk's OG v City came about because Ryan was rooted to his line and he then, hopelessly, fumbled a header straight at him. Our hopes of a reasonably solid back line are being undermined by a keeper who doesn't look up to the task.
His distribution yesterday ( lauded when he was signed ) looked, at best, very ordinary. Overall, a dramatic improvement is necessary but I cannot see how he can suddenly start commanding his area when he lacks any physical presence. To say I am worried is an understatement.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
If you break your transfer record on a keeper you expect him to be the finished article surely, not a work in progress, to be helped to iron out basic deficiencies by the coaching team. I hope he comes good, but has made some awful errors thus far, and as a defence, you really need to have confidence in your GK

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If you break your transfer record on a keeper you expect him to be the finished article surely, not a work in progress, to be helped to iron out basic deficiencies by the coaching team. I hope he comes good, but has made some awful errors thus far, and as a defence, you really need to have confidence in your GK

That is the problem. Dunk and Duffy don't trust him and both realise that they are going to be hugely overworked trying to clear stuff that should be his responsiblity. You just can't visualise Ryan coming through a crowd of players to punch clear or even catch the ball. Opponents are going to ' block ' him out at every opportunity.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I was concerned during the Confederations Cup. Too many parrying shots and hoping for the best. It's always a game of Russian Roulette with that.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
When all the talk about a goalkeeper is his distribution it worries me. This is the least important attribute for what we need for a goalkeeper this year e.g. shot stopping, coming for crosses etc. Reminds me of Wayne Henderson who we had in that dreadful championship relegation year in 05/06. Hope it changes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shirley that all depends on the size of the previous transfer record.

If that's a really piss poor comparatively low number you can't guarantee the finished article by breaking it, can you?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Not sure this is a solution but worth a try ?

The lad has probably lost a bit of confidence following these mistakes. So what about chanting the lads name before the next match or the match against West Brom at home - let him know that fans are behind him looking for him to do well ?

Most people progress in their work with support and praise rather than criticism. I have to concede he hasn't started well but I would love him to be a success like everyone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here