Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
A waste of 5m. Goalkeepers need to be a big unit. End of.

Fabien Barthez was only 6ft, not everyone is gonna be as big as say, Courtois.

It's two games in. I think he needs more time. It's not the most convincing start, but he can only improve.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Lots of adjustments going on amongst the playing staff.

The foreign lads - the pace of the league, new team etc
Dale Stephens - adapting his best game, now he's not the classiest player in the middle of the park as standard.

All slowly improving from the terror of Man City's billion quid team...

Even goalkeepers have to adjust... it just looks more glaring. 3 more games and he still seems like he's struggling... Maenpaa.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Lots of adjustments going on amongst the playing staff.

The foreign lads - the pace of the league, new team etc
Dale Stephens - adapting his best game, now he's not the classiest player in the middle of the park as standard.

All slowly improving from the terror of Man City's billion quid team...

Even goalkeepers have to adjust... it just looks more glaring. 3 more games and he still seems like he's struggling... Maenpaa.

Pretty much agree with all this apart from Ryan. He is a flop and there's no point glossing it over Jonathan.

gmabel830

Aug 12, 2017
After the Super Bowl, I am surprised anyone wanted someone named Matt Ryan.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Fabien Barthez was only 6ft, not everyone is gonna be as big as say, Courtois.

It's two games in. I think he needs more time. It's not the most convincing start, but he can only improve.

He might not improve. He could get worse.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Having watched him twice I must say I'm unconvinced.

I'd like to see Maenpaa given a chance personally.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Not really working out, is it? How long do you give him? Can't afford for him to carry on as he is at the moment, can we? He might be a good a shot-stopper but he hardly inspires confidence, does he? Quite small for a keeper too.
Get the Finn in

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
He might not improve. He could get worse.

If you read some of the posts here, i'd guess that's not possible.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There was hardly anything between the two sides today, neither created much.

The difference? Ryan throwing one in after a minute then flapping at a ball at a key moment.

Should have been a point today.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
There was hardly anything between the two sides today, neither created much.

The difference? Ryan throwing one in after a minute then flapping at a ball at a key moment.

Should have been a point today.

Really not so sure. To me it barely looked like Leicester got out of first gear.

Ryan is rubbish though, weird scouting for that one.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
At the moment he is a complete liability and worth a goal start to the opposition before the game has even kicked off.

I imagine Hughton's final instructions were something like, "keep it tight for the first 20 minutes then we can build on that..."

So what happens? Ryan spills a regulation shot after 45 seconds and bang - one down and effectively game over.

He needs to get his shit together very quickly.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Well that didn't take long ! I wonder when CH will become a target ?

You can't blame CH yet. If he was not given the players early enough to bed in, it's hardly his fault. Chris Woods off to Burnley for £15 mill, fee agreed

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Really not so sure. To me it barely looked like Leicester got out of first gear.

Ryan is rubbish though, weird scouting for that one.

Maybe the early goal did that, but at times Brighton looked decent with the ball without much of a threat or cutting edge, sort the forwards and keepers out and will stay up.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
We weren't good enough as a unit today and didn't deserve a point. However a really good goal keeping performance might have saved a point. That was NOT a good keeper performance

Things for Ryan
1. He is brave
2. He cost £5m and whatever some people say was always going to be set up as our first choice keeper at that price.
3. He deserves a longer chance before being written off

Things against Ryan
1. He is too short
2. He's never succeeded at this level. His record always concerned me.

Unfortunately the things against him are rather serious. I think we'll have a new keeper in the new year and Maenpaa will get his (deserved) chance before that.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I remember being fed up with Stockdale during his first season and relieved when we signed Manepaa as I saw him as a replacement. He could've been our player of the season for each of the last two seasons and I don't think any other player singlehandedly won us more points than he did or stopped us loosing the points. I found myself gutted once he left.

Ryan has the difficult job of not just playing for a side who has spent 2 seasons winning most of their games to a team expected to win about 25% of their matches but also he has to replace a keeper who was a massive fans favourite that most wanted to see us keep.

Give it a few weeks and he will be a superb part of our squad

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here